Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rejected from another trainee job

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
I was rejected from so many trainee positions. I received one rejection today as well. It kind of hurts. I tried hard at uni and I finished two degrees, one of which nearly cost my life. I did volunteering and internship whenever I had time. I achieved a lot in extracurricular activities as well. My friends said that my CV looks good. It seems like I am still not enough for the job market.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    @Kate_20 I'm sorry to hear that you were rejected from a trainee position quite recently. I hear that the rejection you had hurt you a lot. I can imagine how painful it was being rejected from that job position. I hear that you did very well in uni and that you have done a lot of volunteering, and that you did a lot of extra curricular activities which boosted your cv.

I know I'm not really a expert on jobs or job rejection but going through a job rejection can be hard to go through and process. Being rejected can be one of the hardest things anyone can ever go through especially if it was the job or position that you really wanted. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you today. But I just wanted to say that eventhough you feel like you are not enough for the job market, you are enough anyway. You have done some brilliant things which I feel the employers have overlooked really. There will always be another opportunity out there. As I say there is always another path or door out there which will take you to where you want. I'm sure there will be plenty of other job opportunities. What type of job were you currently looking at the moment?. Are there any other opportunities or job positions similar to the one you wanted?.

Sorry if this isn't the best advice really, I'm not very good with job advice I will be honest. Hope you are feeling okay,

Sending hugs,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    @Amy22 I did not do well in uni. At least it did not feel like that. I left a bad impression on everyone. I don't want to do other similar jobs because it is my dream workplace.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,017 Community Veteran
    @Kate_20 I get you as if it was your dream workplace that must be hard processing right now. I'm always here if you need anything <3

Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Kate_20 wrote: »
    I was rejected from so many trainee positions. I received one rejection today as well. It kind of hurts. I tried hard at uni and I finished two degrees, one of which nearly cost my life. I did volunteering and internship whenever I had time. I achieved a lot in extracurricular activities as well. My friends said that my CV looks good. It seems like I am still not enough for the job market.

I hear you, job hunting is a rough process to go through. It sounds like you've done a decent amount to beef up your employability which is good to see, that'll put you in a good position! Rejection is a part of the game unfortunately, but I wouldn't see that as you being a "bad" candidate - in your case, it's far more likely that you're not the right fit for what they're looking for.

If you're getting rejections after the interview, it'll be down to how you present yourself on the call; if it's before that, it'll be down to how you present yourself through the application. I'd have a look at that, there's useful resources online on how to improve those. Other than that, you're doing all the right things - keep finding those opportunities and applying, and eventually you'll get that one "yes" you're looking for. Best of luck for the process going forwards :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 458 Listening Ear
    edited September 2022
    Hey @Kate_20, thanks for reaching out. I'm so sorry to hear that you got rejected from many trainee positions. I've been rejected from a job not too long ago, so I know the feeling too well. It hurts getting rejected, especially since you've worked so hard on your application. However, rejection can also be a starting point for improvement for next time.

Please take as much time as you need to let these feelings sink in. It may help to take a little break from job hunting and starting again whenever you feel ready. Please take time to immerse yourself in your hobbies.

Everyone above has given some great support ^^ one thing that helped me cope after my rejection was asking for feedback on my application. It may help to send an email to the people who saw your application, maybe they can provide some time to give you feedback. I was lucky to get a reply from the people who interviewed me, they pointed out my weaknesses which was very helpful. Now that I know my mistakes, I'll be sure not to commit them again next time. It's all part of the job hunting experience.

Please take some time to reward yourself and be proud of yourself for your efforts. You could take part in self-care activities such as reading a good book or listening to music. Job hunting is not easy at all, and it's an achievement itself that you've tried your best. Please keep trying your best, I'm sure that you'll eventually get the job that you want soon, good luck!

Hope this helps and that everything goes well :smile:<3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    @Amy22 @Azziman @kaii It is a bit tricky because I don't know who was processing the application.
    I can't really relax as I have a lot of things going on recently apart from the rejection. I feel like I am guilty of everything.
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 458 Listening Ear
    edited September 2022
    @Kate_20 I understand, since you're unable to get some feedback, it can be tricky to improve when you don't know which areas to work on. @Azziman has mentioned some really good suggestions about improving your application depending on whether you got rejected before the interview or after. Maybe these suggestions can help ^^ I'm not sure if you have tried this already, but instead of of getting your friends to read through your CV, maybe it would help to get feedback on your application from your university's careers service? As the staff there are well informed about interviews, CVs, cover letters...etc.

I hear that you feel like you're guilty of everything and that you find it hard to relax because of other things going on apart from the rejection. If you're comfortable, would you like to tell us more about these other things? Has anything in particular happened that makes you feel guilty? You may feel better typing it out instead of keeping it to yourself. :smile:
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    That's so awful for you @Kate_20 :( working so hard, even at the cost of your mental health, for so many years, only to be met with rejection can feel truly soul-destroying. It's such a kick in the teeth when you've put in overtime to be as hard-working as you can, from internships to volunteering. Of course it is going to make you worry about what is making these trainee recruiters not select you from the pool of applicants :(

I must say, I can completely relate, and something that I still haven't been fully able to come to terms with is two things 1) in certain fields, getting even your foot in the door for unpaid internships and trainee contracts can be near-impossible, because they are so undersupplied and oversubscribed. This means that for hard workers like you, there is no issue with your application or your skills, rather that they choose someone else because there were swathes to choose from. Half the time, I query what the criteria is that they use to choose between the top two candidates. 2) I reckon a huge portion of being accepted into a job or even getting an interview invite, is being able to use the correct 'buzzwords' that they are looking for. Sometimes this can mean looking beyond the person specification, to looking up the actual company, reading up a fair bit and mirroring the language choices they make, because this unconsciously warms the HR team to you!

Regardless, you are an absolute inspiration for how far you have come, and I am sincerely proud of you for that. I really do hope that rejections will not make you feel too terribly about yourself, because you are awesome <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AbandonedTrolleyAbandonedTrolley Posts: 24 Boards Initiate
    The best job that I ever had, well the easiest anyway was working in a charity shop. I used to work mostly in the stockroom in the basement. My job consisted of steam cleaning clothing, pricing and labelling the clothes and placing them on hangers. Then putting them out on the shop floor as they were needed. It was a great job as we could take it easy. We used to have the radio playing and made ourselves cups of tea and coffee throughout the day. I tried to get another similar job, but despite applying for loads of loads of positions I only got two interviews and failed to get the job. The position I wanted was part time 3 days a week, 24 hours a week. So I would have had four day weekends. The job that I am doing now, office cleaning is very stressful because we have got so very much work to do in so little time. We have got to hoover the floors, clean and mop the toilets, empty all the bins, clean the window sills and skirting boards, clean the desks, computers and the chairs. And complete all work within less than four hours each evening.