Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

advice

maldrin44maldrin44 Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Does anyone have advice for college because I am 16 and im going to college soon and ive got autism and it is a change in environment and it is a change in timing of my normal routine of school and it is making me really anxious and overwhelmed
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,913 Community Veteran
    Hi @maldrin44 the change from secondary school to college can be exciting and scary at the same time. I just wanted to say that you are not alone as there will plenty of people who are starting college this year and will be feeling anxious. I can relate to this as when I first started college, I felt nervous too especially with the social side of it. I'm sure your college will be very lovely and you will meet lots of nice people. College is a bit more relaxed than school personally and your teachers are more relaxed and chilled.

It is totally normal to feel anxious about going to college as it is a big jump. The college environment can be very relaxed and they do lots of clubs and activities. One big bonus too is that in some colleges they offer 1 to 1 support and support in general if you ever needed it. I'm about to start my second year of film college, and I feel a bit nervous too.

I'm always here if you want any advice or would like to chat. :)

Wishing you the best,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    Hey there,

Transitions can be stressful, but it can help to prepare in advance. Knowing what you need, where you'll need to be, at what time etc., can help. If you'll be using public transport to get to college, it can help to find out in advance, the bus/train you need to catch, where to catch it from, the cost etc. It can also help to familiarise yourself with the college itself, so maybe have a read on their website to help find out things you might need to know- what time classes start or finish, where the entrance into the building is, whether there are extra curricular activities going on, who your tutors are, who to go to for advice etc.

Your tutors will understand that going from school to college can be a difficult transition. College may feel a bit more relaxed than school, for example, you might not have to wear a uniform, you may be able to leave the site during the day, you might not have assemblies like you do in school etc. But you may also be more responsible for your work- your tutors will need you to complete homework/coursework on time.

A change in environment can be difficult to get used to but you will get used to it. Think of all the other transitions you have had in life- moving up from one class to the next in primary school, going from primary school to high school etc. Even though you may have been nervous about the change in environment, you may have got used to the environment, even if it took a little while.

Does your college know that you have autism? If so, maybe there is a tutor or someone you can talk to about your concerns? They might be able to reassure you and provide any extra help if you feel you need it.

Hope you have a great time at college- I wish you all the best <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.