Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My dad singled me out for not picking up the phone to answer him

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 188 Helping Hand
edited July 2022 in Home, Law & Money
Hello all.

Earlier today, I washed up, took the bin round the back, and put some left-out rubbish in the green bin. I refrigerated some water bottles because my dad has complained about them being left out. After, I went to my bedroom to talk to a friend, and was relaxing. I heard the house phone ring and told my sister to answer it. By the time she went downstairs, it went to voicemail, and when she called him on her phone. So, my sister tried calling my dad twice again on the house phone, and managed to get him. He shouted whilst speaking to her on the phone. He said to her he knows that I heard the phone, and that I should have answered it, and asked her what if there was an emergency. How did he know I heard it? Why did he have to single me out? I thought my sister and brother heard it, but I found out she was asleep and he went out. I feel he was being unfair because he never mentioned my siblings and I should be allowed to unwind if I have been working. I was having an intrusive thought about friend saying that I should have picked up the phone, making me feel as though I am the one in the wrong. He just arrived home just now a moment ago, and brought up what happened downstairs and to me in my bedroom.

I self-doubted whether I should have thrown away some left-out food because I was worried my dad would shout at me, asking why I did not throw it away. The other reason was I was thinking that someone might still need it, even though it probably would not to be good. So, I just left it for someone else to see and discard because it is not my responsibility to notice things that need doing, and I did not want to spend ages overthinking the situation.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hello @Creativeboy23. You have shown so much strength in reaching out to us.

I can hear how you feel your dad singled you out for the responsibility of answering the phone. It sounds like this feels unfair to you, especially as you have siblings who could answer the phone.

You mention you felt worried that your dad would shout at you. How often and when do you feel like this? No one has the right to do or say anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.

I can also hear intrusive thoughts make this feel even tougher for you. Do you currently have the support you need to manage these intrusive thoughts?

We are here for you if you would like to share more with us. We care about you :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 188 Helping Hand
    Hello @Laura_tigger82.

Yes. I sure did. Every now and again I feel worried and I cannot remember when it happens. I agree.

Yes. Samaritans have suggested I use the help app to manage my thoughts, but anytime I am experiencing these thoughts, it is very difficult to consider that.

Thanks for your help.