Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Derealisation

tillytilly Posts: 1 Just got here
I feel so disconnected at the moment and it’s really scary. All the time I feel unreal and I feel like a stranger in my own space. It’s so hard for me to do normal things and I constantly get panic attacks because of this :( I know this is derealisation but I don’t know how to cope and get better from this as it seems to be getting worse.

Comments

• kaiikaii Posts: 434 Listening Ear
    Hey @tilly, thank you so much for reaching out. I can see that this is your first post here, so I'd like to say welcome to our community, it's great to have you :smile:

I'm so sorry to hear about your derealisation experience, it sounds very distressing and daunting, feeling unreal and like a stranger.

You may find the following resources helpful:

- Because you mentioned that you don't know how to cope and get better from derealisation, YoungMinds has a blog about other people's experiences with derealisation, and includes tips for coping with it - hopefully these tips will be effective for you :smile:

https://www.youngminds.org.uk/young-person/blog/tips-for-coping-with-depersonalisation-and-derealisation/

- No Panic helps people struggling with panic attacks and other anxiety-related issues. Calling 01952 680835 can help you through a panic attack as it has a recorded breathing exercise. This is available 24/7.

https://nopanic.org.uk/

- The Mix has a free and confidential helpline, you can call them on 0808 808 4994 from 4pm to 11pm every day.

- If you're uncomfortable with calling, texting your feelings out may help. The Mix also has a crisis messenger text service which provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK. If you’re aged 25 or under, and are experiencing any painful emotion or are in crisis, you can text THEMIX to 85258.

Hoping everything gets better for you <3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    Hi there,

I second the links that @kaii provided :)

Dealing with derealisation, even though you know it's harmless, can still feel overwhelming. I know for me, I try to focus on things that help me feel- such as wrapping myself in a blanket, washing my hands in cold water or having a cold drink. These types of things help to bring me back to my body and makes me feel a bit more real. I also like to distract myself, such as by playing video games. When I'm absorbed doing something, I 'forget' about the unreal feeling. As difficult as it is, try not to focus too much on feeling unreal. The more you focus on the feeling, the more likely it will hang around for longer. Keep reminding yourself that this feeling will pass :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.