Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Roe vs Wade has been overturned in the US, removing the legal right to abortion. How do you feel?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
Title says it. Curious where y'all are at. 💛
The truth resists simplicity.

Comments

• Options
    Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 375 Listening Ear
    edited July 2022
    I'm disgusted by it.

TW: rape and abuse
    - Why would a clump of cells have more rights that us? It's not sentient.
    - What about our bodily autonomy? We don't get forced to donate an organ or give blood. This isn't about adoption, this is about how they are forced to carry a baby and giving birth.
    - What about the women who miscarry? What if they get accused?
    - Why should religion have a say in politics in a country with the population having many religious beliefs?
    - What about people that need to keep the pregnancy a secret? What if their life is endangered because of how others may react to the pregnancy in a bad way? What are the consequences for that woman and child?
    - What about the many children who are already in foster care? Many unfortunately don't lead great lives as a result.
    - What about women that have been raped? Why should we expect them to go through the whole thing? What about the father who is said rapist?
    - The same people who are pro-life are probably prudes when it comes to teaching our generation contraception and safe sex. I heard many complaints about sex education in the US. Abstinence is not sex ed, again, religion should not be political.
    - How do we determine how bad a medical condition has to be to be able to get an abortion? Women are already not taken seriously. Where is the line drawn? This goes for both the baby and the woman. We see life is valuable once the baby is born, but what if the baby is born without being able to see the value because of their quality of life? For example a baby with anencephaly. How long will the baby be alive for? How short is too short a life that it's worth aborting? How is that decided?
    - It seems like they are advocating for an unborn foetus as they can’t speak out or criticise anything. Does it make them feel accomplished somehow? Does it make them feel useful?
    - What about those who are too young to carry a baby? Their innocence were already ruined, why rub salt in the wound?
    - What about how giving birth can be traumatic? PTSD, post partum depression or anxiety or psychosis.
    - What about how expensive it is already to seek medical care? How about the cost of simply holding your baby? Is going through with the pregnancy just a way of getting money?
    - What about how expensive everything is general, the care system or feeding the child for example.
    - What about women that try to take matters into their own hands coz the law won’t allow them to safely?
    - Will more rights be stripped away from women?
    Being pro-choice does not mean being pro-abortion. It means abortion weighs more benefit for society than forcing them to go through pregnancy and birth. Abortion isn’t fun, it’s not contraception. Personally, I think aborting because of things like downs syndrome or gender is wrong. However, preventing those from aborting for those reasons will very likely end up with a worse outcome for the child for some the reasons above. It’s. Not. Okay.

Ever heard of Gerri Santoro? Absolutely tragic and her photo has been used to protest for abortion rights. Trigger warning, she was not alive in that photo and her story includes abuse. Abortion is needed to prevent those things from happen. She was not the first and won’t be the last.
    Post edited by Emma_ on
    Whats a signatureeeww
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 375 Listening Ear
    It means abortion weighs more benefit for society than forcing them to go through pregnancy and birth.

I mean having the choice to abort btw
    Whats a signatureeeww
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    It's not an opinion I personally agree with, and it looks like it might be the first of several decisions that favour conservative views based on how the Supreme Court system works
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    edited July 2022
    Really hear the anger in this thread - I'm feeling it too.

I recently went over to the US after this was announced and the anger is echoed there. It felt weird landing in a state where I don't have full autonomy over my body and choices. To watch and see, mostly men, show a bigger interest in being able to carry a gun freely, yet as a woman, I can't have the choice over something that could happen inside of me.

I'm a big pro-choice believer, for any circumstance. It takes 2 to tango yet why is the blame always on the pregnant person that we got pregnant, as if we did it alone. Contraception for men is available (and has a lot less side effects than the one given to those of us with a uterus) yet it's on us to take it, go through super painful procedures and still run the risk of having something we don't want.

The argument for pro-life seems more fitting if named pro-control. If they cared about life, there would be better maternal care, more funding in the care system, better education for underserved areas ect. But instead they put the laws and attention on controlling women's bodies.

As has been mentioned by many others, this won't stop abortion in the US, it will solely stop safe abortion.
    spoon wrote:
    Will more rights be stripped away from women?
    This is a worry I think many are feeling right now - a sense of when does it stop, where is the bar. The rights of queer people are being bought into question in some states. The rewriting of history is happening in others, where they are suggesting to rename slavery "involuntary relocation" (https://www.complex.com/life/texas-education-slavery-involuntary-relocation)

It's going to be a tough few months/ years where we may all need to fight for our rights, but I have faith we can do it. No one is alone in this fight <3
    @spoon I edited your post to swap around the trigger warnings to hide the potentially triggering content. Thankyou for including it to begin with!
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Didn't spot this thread when it was first posted, but truly I am devastated for anyone who is affected by this, and as we know it will be those who the most marginalised that will bear the brunt of this terrible decision. I am hoping that we can continue to fight against this and ensure reproductive rights for all. Bodily autonomy is not something that we should compromise ever! x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    OwlOwl Posts: 109 The Mix Convert
    Becoming pregnant when you don't want to must be terrifying. Glad it's something I'll never have to worry about, abortion isn't an easy decision to have to make or one you can forget easily.

But if you need an abortion, it's a no-brainer that fewer people are gonna end up dead if you make it legal and safe, instead of driving it under ground. If you can send young women to an early grave, call it "pro-life", and miss the irony, you shouldn't get to vote.

It's obvious the answer is improving sex ed, access to contraceptives, the culture that produces people who commit SA, and access to safe abortions when the universe has it's own plans as it tends to do. Anyone who doesn't think that's the answer hasn't had access to that, which is a weird catch-22 like how people who think hitting children is okay because "i got hit as a child and it never did me any harm" except it has done some harm because they now think hitting children is acceptable. I'm starting to go off-topic now but I've realised it earlier than I usually do, so go me!!

Polls have consistently shown more support for pro-choice than pro-life anti-choice amongst the highly educated, but if you can't count your brain cells on your fingers then that won't surprise you.

Sorry if this post comes across angry. That's because you're right.