Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How can I explain to my parents that I don't need to get paid

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
edited June 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
I don't want to get paid for my work because I am not good enough. I just want to do some volunteering because what I have done does not meet the criteria of getting paid. I don't worth anything. And I don't want to worry about getting paid for poor quality of work. I already worry about everything. Worrying about money I don't deserve adds to the pressure. I will never recover. My parents shamed me for staying at home and only doing volunteering jobs.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
Post edited by Kate_20 on

Comments

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I reckon it makes a lot of sense to feel like being paid for the work you produce creates a lot more pressure to perform completely perfectly @Kate_20 ! Already being an anxious person, it's not like you need an additional thing to worry about and to cause you stress. Plus we all know there are lots of cool feelings that volunteering can evoke, like feeling as though you are doing something good for others without expecting anything in return. Maybe you could try to frame it like that to your parents? Saying something like "it's less about the money and more about just wanting to do something good without people needing to give me something back for it. I know that any kind of work is valuable, and I'd like to give mine for free to help the people who need it the most". <3

Equally, I want you to know that you really are worth so very much, and I completely get why your parents might want to try to reassure you that asking for compensation for hard work is not out of line, and certainly something you deserve. I know you don't feel confident in the work you do, and I promise I'm not trying to force you to feel differently, but one thing that's important to always know is that everyone starts somewhere and so even someone with 0 skills (which I really doubt is you :) ) should be treated with respect and given the chance to learn and grow their talents <3 I really hope this helps xxx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.