Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Joe Wicks : Facing my childhood Discussion

Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,160 Part of The Furniture
na4tjbmou85q.jpeg

So recently a documentary was shown on BBC where Joe wicks went back and explored childhood. Joe explored how parental mental health affected his own childhood and also how the pandemic has worsened both young people and parental mental health.

A statstic that’s was said is they estimate that 6 children in every classroom have a parent with mental health and as someone who grew up looking after parents who had depression , My dad went missing for a period of time and my mum she hid her emotions and wasn’t there emotionally for me.

It also highlighted the affects on the child’s mental health whilst there is parental mental health and how there is little charities out there who look after the whole family.

I wanted to create this thread for a chance to have a discussion around the programme if you’ve watched it ♥️
Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.

Comments

• Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,320 Part of The Furniture
    This is such a great idea @Millie2787! I watched this with my partner and we enjoyed it.
    Millie2787 wrote: »
    as someone who grew up looking after parents who had depression , My dad went missing for a period of time and my mum she hid her emotions and wasn’t there emotionally for me.
    Thank you for sharing this. I can relate - I don't mind sharing that I have a complicated relationship with my parents - they divorced when I was young, they've both experienced mental health issues, and they didn't always get things right. But as I've grown up, I've found myself empathising with them more and thinking about the things they were dealing with at the time. I think watching the Joe Wicks doc crystalised a lot of that for me and made me even more reflective.

Putting my Mix hat on, what also struck me is how Joe was giving an unbelievable amount of 1-2-1 emotional support to his followers (sometimes for 8 hours a day). It's a really lovely gesture and he obviously really cares, but I couldn't stop thinking about how much pressure that puts on him and how he's doing it with no professional support. It's a huge amount to take on. 🤯

Also lovely to see them showcasing the work OurTime do - they're a fab charity.

@Millie2787 did the show change the way you thought about your parents or your childhood?
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,160 Part of The Furniture
    @Mike The amount of time he spends offering support to his fans honestly struck me too , you could see he didn’t want those young people to feel like he did growing up.

As someone who’s worked in Youth work I know a-lot of what he spoke about sparked My thoughts around Adverse Childhood effects and the training I had around those.

I didn’t realise who Our time was until watching the programme and from what I can see it’s such an important charity and if only they could work with more . As like they said they only reach around 300 families each year when they know there’s over 300 million children living with an adult with mental health issues.

For me it made me realise how much of my own childhood I blocked out . Partially when he sat with his mum and she mentioned she had gone into a mental health setting which he couldn’t recall . I think it helps empathise that , that blocking out memories and not having recollection of what can be pretty traumatic times was pretty normal. I guess in a sense it also helped me realise that maybe the reason why my parents were so emotionally distant was to protect me But also at the same time didn’t realise that this had more of an adverse effect then they first thought.

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    LeilaLeila Posts: 2,064 Boards Champion
    edited May 2022
    This is lovely, thank you for sharing!
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    This is a beautiful thread and it's an especially potent point that too few services will support entire family units with mental health needs. After all, mental health does not suddenly become 'totally perfect' when people begin a family. I wonder how conversations around mental health impacts children's development when supporting a parent with mental health needs. You know, does the parent's mental health get accurately described 'I help my mum when she's depressed' or is the language more covert like 'mum has bad days' because these can impact how families are supported in their struggles. This documentary has really made me think, thanks for opening up this discussion about it xx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.