Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

If you were a teacher..

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
If you were a teacher what is one thing you would have in your class (for students) maybe it’s something you have seen being used or something you wish you had? Or just something random? I’d like to hear what you think..

For me it would be a thought box, not to be confused with a comment/suggestion box. The ultimate purpose of the box would be to give students a chance to talk about something bothering them if they are finding it hard to vocalise something. The box would be available every day However to ensure this isn’t too obvious for those who are worried about being seen. I would have a set day where everyone posts something with the instruction “today is thought day please put your slip into the box even if you haven’t written anything.” This means that there is no obligation to write anything but gives students chance to get a message to me if they want to without being caught out by their peers.

The reason I thought of this is because I found it hard to find the right time to speak to my teachers and most of the time if I waited until the end of a lesson my friend would stick around which meant I lost confidence in what I wanted to talk about.

Let me know what things would you have as a teacher?

Comments

• LeilaLeila Posts: 2,064 Boards Champion
    edited April 2022
    If you were a teacher what is one thing you would have in your class (for students) maybe it’s something you have seen being used or something you wish you had? Or just something random? I’d like to hear what you think..

For me it would be a thought box, not to be confused with a comment/suggestion box. The ultimate purpose of the box would be to give students a chance to talk about something bothering them if they are finding it hard to vocalise something. The box would be available every day However to ensure this isn’t too obvious for those who are worried about being seen. I would have a set day where everyone posts something with the instruction “today is thought day please put your slip into the box even if you haven’t written anything.” This means that there is no obligation to write anything but gives students chance to get a message to me if they want to without being caught out by their peers.

The reason I thought of this is because I found it hard to find the right time to speak to my teachers and most of the time if I waited until the end of a lesson my friend would stick around which meant I lost confidence in what I wanted to talk about.

Let me know what things would you have as a teacher?

If I were to be a teacher, I'd have things my students needed, like if one had a issue for mobility, I'd have a ramp for them, if one couldn't write I'd have a scribe for them, I'd love to support children, get them what deserve and maybe dont get, like children in poor countries! I think giving students whatever the way they act/behave, should be treated the same as someone who behaves, as kids act out because they probably have issues in there life, so I would treat everyone equally and give them the same amount of time!
  • sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,027 Wise Owl
    @One-in-a-million I love that idea!

I'd probably do like an area of the classroom that's like a quiet/de-stress for children to go in when they need a couple of minutes to relax/calm down/gather their thoughts so that a healthy mindset can be maintained as much as possible :)
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    edited May 2022
    What a great thread @One-in-a-million. I am really intrigued to hear everyone’s ideas.

I like the idea of a thought box. It is really important for students to have an opportunity to discuss things bothering them that they might not be able to vocalise :)

I really like your ideas too @Sunbathequeen and @sinead276. What I like the most is all of our ideas seem to have a common theme which is student needs and wellbeing. I think we should all campaign! :p

If I were a teacher, the one thing I would have in my class is a sensory/relaxation area. This would include comfy seats, remote lights and preferred activities (e.g., books and games) :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    It's not really an object, but if I were a teacher I'd make sure all my students were listened to and understood. I really struggled at school and my teacher did nothing fair enough I didn't ask for help but I wished someone had done something. I would want to make sure that no one felt that way.
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    It is understandable that you wish someone had done something @Dandelion. Sometimes, it is tricky to ask for help, isn't it?

I have noticed that @One-in-a-million said something similar. Listening to students and understanding them is really important :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Hey guys wow you have some great ideas :) especially the ones that allow students to have a safe space when they feel overwhelmed
  • LeilaLeila Posts: 2,064 Boards Champion
    Hey guys wow you have some great ideas :) especially the ones that allow students to have a safe space when they feel overwhelmed

I like yours too!♡