Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sleep problems

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
My mum is going to punish me for my sleep problems because I don't sleep at normal time and I don't stay awake at normal times. I did that to escape reality. My mum said that I am not different from other people and I need to get up. She said that my life is without pressure so she needs to add more pressure on me. I was left speechless because I am already stressed out and she doesn't seem to understand. I need to die so that I wouldn't be sleeping at inappropriate times. Maybe I don't have depression, I am just pathetic and incapable. That is why my lifestyle is what she called 'less than human'. I am tired of educating her about MH as she won't listen.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hey @kate_20

It sounds really distressing and dismissive to be told that you aren't different from others and that your mum is going to add more pressure to your life when you're already handling so much. I just wanted to let you know that it's okay to struggle to get to sleep or get up at a certain time, particularly when you're managing such difficult feelings and emotions at the moment. You getting up each day and fighting through, no matter what that looks like for you at the moment, shows how strong and brave you are, it's not easy but you're doing the best you can and that's more than enough. Thank you for sharing your feelings with us, your feelings are completely valid. I'm wondering if you've been able to speak to anyone else about how you've been feeling? You deserve to be supported during this difficult time, and not dismissed for your valid feelings. Sending you so much love <3
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    edited April 2022
    Hi Kate,

Thank you for sharing how things are for you. This sounds really difficult so I'm glad you reached out to us here :heart:

That must be so upsetting to hear your mum say she needs to add pressure and that you aren't different. I want you to know that your feelings are so, so valid. I can really hear how tough things are for you right now, and you deserve to have that respected and to be supported. Nobody deserves to be treated in this way.

If it's helpful, I wonder whether you'd like to share a bit more about the things that are stressing you out right now? You are welcome to share whatever you feel comfortable sharing. I just want you to know that I care and am here to listen :blush:

You also mention that you need to die. I wonder whether you have these thoughts often and if anybody is aware? I want you to know that, no matter how difficult times feel right now, things absolutely can and do get better. You are so so important to this world. You are not pathetic and incapable. You are a strong, courageous, wonderful person.

I'll share some links below to people who you can talk to about these really difficult feelings . I wonder whether you'd be open to speaking to them?

Take good care and always remember that you matter, so much :heart:
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    This sounds really difficult @Kate_20. No one has the right to do or say anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.

I think it is really positive that you have recognised the reason for it – to escape reality. Is there anything else that might help you to escape reality, or manage what’s going on for you at the moment?

I am hearing these words were particularly unpleasant and left you speechless because you are already stressed out and she doesn’t seem to understand. Would you like to tell us more about how this has made you feel?

If you would like further support with this, please remember the following resources might be helpful:
    • Samaritans (24/7): Call 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org
    • Papyrus (2pm – midnight): Call 0800 068 41 41 or email pat@papyrus-uk.org.
    • The Mix’s Crisis Messenger (24/7) – You can text ‘THEMIX’ to 85258 if you are feeling in crisis.
    • You can also go to your nearest a & e or call 999 if you are feeling unsafe or have any concerns about your health and safety.

We are hearing that you are really struggling at the moment and we are here for you if you would like to share more with us.

Please keep us up to date with how you are, we are all here for you :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.