Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

english terms

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,000 Community Veteran
wat is a 'confirmation bias'
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• Options
    Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    Hi ellie, you may want to check:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
    Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
    Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
    El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
  • Options
    LeilaLeila Posts: 2,064 Boards Champion
    ellie2000 wrote: »
    wat is a 'confirmation bias'

Hi Ellie,

A Corfirmation Bias: 
    The tendency to process information by looking for, or interpreting, information that is consistent with one's existing beliefs. This biased approach to decision making is largely unintentional and often results in ignoring inconsistent information.

Hope this helped!
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Great definitions here, thought I'd just give an example in case it helps. It basically means we look for things, facts and information that back up/support the view we already hold.

For example: a lot of people (probably myself included lol) will read/watch news information that fits with their existing political views. E.g., a left wing person might be more likely to seek out the Guardian over the Sun because it might be more likely to support their views on a given topic therefore they can 'confirm' that their beliefs on a topic are 'correct/right/morally good'.

^ that's just me using an example, there are probably loads of left-wing and right-wing people who read both newspapers! xx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.