Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Periods suck!

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,854 Master Poster
The title should be enough of a statement as to what this is about. Who else agrees that periods suck? I usually only get stomach cramps but this I've also gotten pain.... down below. Apparently it's normal but it's really annoying.
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Comments

• Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Yup super suck. I totally recommend period heat patches or ‘be you’ cooling patch’s they work pretty well
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,132 Part of The Furniture
    I agree that periods suck @Dancer. Hope you are feeling better soon (and it leaves you alone soon).

I can see @Dandelion has provided some words of wisdom. What might you do to make it less annoying for you?
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,649 Legendary Poster
    They definitely do. I sometimes get pain in my back too and I have back pain already so it is horrible!!!

Ibuprofen often works better than paracetamol for period stuff I’ve found.

And if you find they’re ridiculously heavy (like mine were) or really agonisingly painful definitely speak to your GP.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    LeilaLeila Posts: 2,064 Boards Champion
    @independent_ is so right, If the periods get heavier then normal then seek your gp as they can best support you-

I wanted to add ways that you could try out when your period starts to bug you ill post a link below, but thank you for reaching out!

using a heating pad on your pelvic area or back.
    massaging your abdomen
    .taking a warm bath.
    doing regular physical exercise.
    eating light, nutritious meals
    .practicing relaxation techniques or yoga.
    taking anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen several days before you expect your period.

If you feel like you need support with this, a sexual health clinic can also support you with different options for periods!

Leila
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Feel the need for a period rant in here. I have a pretty big presentation on Monday it’s a poster conference so I’ll need to be stood by my poster for three hours. I was meant to start my period yesterday which was great timing cause I’d be finished by Monday but no still haven’t started knowing my luck I’ll start on Monday 🙄🙄🙄
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Couldn't agree more with everyone and I think something that makes them all the more frustrating is the idea that we're just meant to 'get up and continue on' when we're actually in a lot of pain. And in many ways this can feed into being invalidated and unheard by medical staff when we are in so much physical and mental distress :(
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    enorth1enorth1 Posts: 68 Boards Initiate
    I think @AislingDM mentions a really important point there. Periods seem to be something people are meant to just 'get on with', and its so difficult anyway when the side effects of them are so vastly different for everyone's bodies! For me, exercise is the last thing I can feel like doing during my period, but it hugely helps both mentally and with the physical symptoms. Healthy balanced meals are for sure a great help too, but I also crave a lot of chocolate and I try not to feel guilty about that, everything in moderation. Good luck with your presentation @Dandelion! Period or not, I hope it all goes how you wanted it to! :smiley: