Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Group chat software update

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,042 Boards Guru
edited June 2022 in Community Announcements
Hello Mixers!

Today, we're rolling out a big software update for group chat. This includes a bunch of new features, a tonne of bug fixes, and improvements to our moderation and safety tools.

Ordinarily, we would have spent time testing this with you folks and perhaps made a few changes at a time rather than all at once. Unfortunately an unfinished version of this update was accidentally released last week, and since then we've had no choice but to focus on fixing what was released. We're super aware that this is a lot to adjust to and not the best way of doing this, so thanks for bearing with us.

The good news is this update is now finished, and we're happy to say pretty much everything functions properly. In this post we've included a full list of changes, bug fixes, and known issues.

EDIT: Your feedback matters so please keep it coming! We're very open to changing what we're able to change, and generally making sure chat works as well as it can for all of us. 😊

Known issues
  • FIXED You may need to clear your cache once to see the new group chat
  • FIXED Mods are unable to close rooms until everyone leaves
  • FIXED Mods are mute-able (please don't mute them!)
  • FIXED An old version of the chat guidelines still appears when entering group chat through The Mix website, and you need to agree to this before joining

New features
  • Message reactions are now available - smile, hug, thumbs up, thumbs down (the thumbs down reaction will be removed in a future update)
  • Automatic messages announce when people enter or leave a room
  • You can now tag other members by using @name
  • All chatters must agree to the guidelines before logging in
  • Message character limit has been greatly increased
  • Moderators can pin messages to the top of the chat
  • Video, GIF, and image links will now display a preview
  • The room list now appears when the rooms button is clicked above the chat window
  • Behind the scenes functionality for mods and staff has been improved
  • Emoji will now be displayed as images rather than code in the text box
  • Browser notifications can keep alerts on when tabbed out of group chat
  • The Mix colours are now displayed in the top left of chat

Bug fixes
  • Messages no longer appear multiple times when using Microsoft browsers
  • Guests can now send messages
  • The user list is now completely visible on mobile
  • Entering passworded rooms on mobile now works consistently
  • You can now consistently view images sent from desktop on mobile
  • User is typing message no longer lingers when that person leaves
  • Several interface and navigation bugs have been fixed
  • Moderation and banning tools are now more effective

Changes made since launch
  • The colour of text, message bubbles, and tags have been updated to increase readability
  • On mobile, text has been added to the 'chat bubble icon' to explain you need to press it to enter group chat (this wasn't super obvious before but should be now)
  • New autolinks have been added based on your suggestions

Please pop any questions, additional issues, or general feedback below. 😊

Mike & the team ✨

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,154 Part of The Furniture
    I feel like this was of too much of a big update for those of us who were neurodiverse to handle … its just not little bits that have changed it’s pretty much the whole chat . I know for a fact when I logged on last night it was very overwhelming for me and I struggled to concentrate on what I really wanted to talk about .

Also the colours are way to bright and I find hurt my eyes and it’s quite difficult to distinguish between our message and other peoples messages because the colours of the text boxes are so light compared to that they used to have been.

I’m also concerned about the appropriateness of the emoji reactions … I’m particular there place in SC as I know you’ve said thumbs down will be removed in a future update but when is that update as right now someone could pour there heart out on SC just to receive a thumbs down or even a thumbs up …. I’m just not sure if reactions are suitable for Support chats
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,647 Legendary Poster
    I think the hug reaction is useful, but I’m also curious when the thumbs down will be removed as it could be misused. I suppose a lot of us were worried about boards reactions at first but we’ve not had an issue with people misusing them, but then again there aren’t really any negative ones.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    edited March 2022
    Thank so much for your feedback @Millie2787 @independent_ 😊
    Millie2787 wrote: »
    I feel like this was of too much of a big update for those of us who were neurodiverse to handle … its just not little bits that have changed it’s pretty much the whole chat . I know for a fact when I logged on last night it was very overwhelming for me and I struggled to concentrate on what I really wanted to talk about .
    Totally hear this, and I'm neurodivergent myself so I can empathise! Honestly, we didn't plan for all the changes to happen at once, because we know that's not ideal and can be a lot to adjust to. Our aim was to be able to test this new build with you folks and give you more of a preview. Unfortunately the accidental launch last week meant that was no longer possible, so we had to focus on fixing what had already released.

Thank you for bearing with us though and for being patient. :)
    Also the colours are way to bright and I find hurt my eyes and it’s quite difficult to distinguish between our message and other peoples messages because the colours of the text boxes are so light compared to that they used to have been.
    We've had this feedback from a few folks and we completely agree. We're going to try out some new colours today and make sure chat feels visually accessible.

We've already made the bubble for your own messages a darker blue (similar to the old chat) and made the text white so it's nice and readable, so hopefully that helps!
    I’m also concerned about the appropriateness of the emoji reactions … I’m particular there place in SC as I know you’ve said thumbs down will be removed in a future update but when is that update as right now someone could pour there heart out on SC just to receive a thumbs down or even a thumbs up …. I’m just not sure if reactions are suitable for Support chats
    I think the hug reaction is useful, but I’m also curious when the thumbs down will be removed as it could be misused. I suppose a lot of us were worried about boards reactions at first but we’ve not had an issue with people misusing them, but then again there aren’t really any negative ones.
    This was a concern of ours too, and I really appreciate you both raising this. The current plan is for the thumbs down reaction to be removed basically ASAP - hopefully within a few days. Unfortunately it hasn't been possible to remove it sooner and we were stuck with it for yesterday's launch, but the mods will be there to make sure it's not used negatively.

We'll be continually reviewing how things are going with reactions, because they are a new addition to group chat and it might be that they don't work (or that some of them don't). If that ends up being the case and you folks would rather remove them, that will definitely be an option.

The hope is (similar to the boards) that reactions don't replace actual responses, but let everyone show a little more support to each other in an easy way. But we'll see how we go. 😊
    Post edited by JustV on
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    Update: if you want to try out the new chat or give us some feedback, you can do that here until 5pm today (and potentially later this week): https://bit.ly/GroupChatDirect
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    An update on changes made since launch:
    • The colour of text, message bubbles, and tags have been updated to increase readability
    • On mobile, text has been added to the 'chat bubble icon' to explain you need to press it to enter group chat (this wasn't super obvious before)
    • New autolinks have been added based on your suggestions
  • Options
    Mel_Mel_ Posts: 574 Incredible Poster
    Group chat isnt working for me via the link again
  • Options
    Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Mel_ - hope you have been able to get in since posting, however if not, try this link.

Alternatively, you may be able to get in via this page (may take a while to load)
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• Options
    DistractionDistraction Posts: 453 Listening Ear
    edited April 2022
    Hi, I can't get onto chat again tonight, how do I fix this please, I've tried logging in and out, refreshing, closing the tab and reopening, not sure what else to do , also tried both links from previous comments above
  • Options
    Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Distraction - this may be one for @TheMix however it could be worth trying a few different browsers, and it may be worth letting the team know which browser you have been using and on what device as it may be there are some fixes there. It could be worth trying to open chat in an incognito tab.
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• Options
    Updated to reflect fixed 'known issues' :)
  • Options
    AngelAngel Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
    I get that problem alot can never get on to it
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,135 Part of The Furniture
    Thanks for letting us know @Angel. Feedback is always appreciated.

It sounds difficult that you cannot get on to group chat when you want to. Have you tried an incognito/private browser?

If clearing cookies fails, you could try an incognito/private browser. Though, it varies between devices and browsers. What device and browser do you try to use to access it?

Please feel free to keep us in the loop. We'll do our best to help you to access the group chat :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.