Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I'm Amber - introducing myself

amber166amber166 Posts: 7 Confirmed not a robot
Hi everyone,
I'm Amber and i'm a first year medical student and really enjoying my studies. I have joined to provide as much support as I possibly can and share some of my own experiences that might help others. Feel free to interact with my at any time!

Comments

• Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hi @amber166 it's nice to meet you. I'm studying Biomedical Science, so not exactly the same but kind of along the same lines lol. How are you finding uni so far?
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    Hi @Dandelion, it's nice to meet you too. It's definitely been a struggle because I didn't manage to get my first choice so have had to move away from friends and family etc but the friends i've made now are unreal and have found i'm doing well with the course. What about you?
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Im so glad to hear you're getting on okay now and you've made some great friends, and well done for getting into Medicine I know it's insanely competitive. Im doing well thanks, just got a few months left before I graduate so just trying to get my dissertation done atm
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    katieelouisekatieelouise Posts: 11 Settling in
    amber166 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm Amber and i'm a first year medical student and really enjoying my studies. I have joined to provide as much support as I possibly can and share some of my own experiences that might help others. Feel free to interact with my at any time!

Hi there @amber166 That is so cool that you're a medical student! I hope to either go into medicine or psychology in the future so any advice on how you got into medical school would be very appreciated! It is good to hear that you are enjoying your studies :)
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    Welcome to the community Amber! Great to have you and glad the course is going so well. :)
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    Hi @katieelouise , so sorry about the delayed reply. some of my tips for applying to medicine would be:
    - secure a good UCAT/BMAT core. I took the UCAT and used the Medify website to practice, you do need a subscription but it was so so helpful.
    - be up to date on anything medical related in the news when prepping for interviews, for example I was asked about topics such as antibiotic resistance, and it's always useful to refer to an article or news site you read anything from that is interesting with regards to those topics.
    - have a few extra curriculars under your belt. Interviewers funnily enough love hearing about anything you have to offer that is non-academic. I spoke about dance and sports leadership I had done in school.
    - be your complete self. In one of my interviews I rehearsed my answers and sounded completely robotic and ended up being rejected, so try to bullet point potential talking points but try not to rehearse long answers.
    - get involved in volunteering opportunities. My school didn't offer any of this in particular but I literally googled what was on offer in my area and there were loads.
    - research the medical schools you are applying for and try to list some of their distinct teaching methods/features that made them stand out to you. This is something asked in 99% of interviews.

hope this helps and best of luck :)
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Welcome! :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    katieelouisekatieelouise Posts: 11 Settling in
    Hi, @amber166 Thank you so much for your tips! I really appreciate your help :)
  • Options
    GraceyGracey Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
    amber166 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Hii Amber, welcome!

That's fab that you're studying medicine. I thought of being a nurse when I'm done with school and am an adult. Sounds like you're doing great!

I hope you have lots of fun here.

Gracey x