Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Donating Blood

DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
Has anyone ever donated blood before? I've always said that I want to but never actually got round to it because I was too scared so I finally registered and I'm going to do it on the 8th April. I'm so scared of fainting though, I'm not afraid of needles or blood but I've still heard that you can sometimes faint anyway especially on your first time. Just wondered if anyone has done it before and has any advice on how to prevent fainting lol
The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,909 Legendary Poster
    I haven’t donated myself but I would like to one day.

However my mum has donated blood loads of times and while a lot of people do faint, the nurses are very good and lie you down for a while after you’ve donated to try to prevent it. Idk if they still do this but they used to give out snacks too to help prevent fainting.

I hope the appointment goes well, as a fainter I think I would share the same worries so you’re not alone.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Thanks @independent_ ive never actually fainted before but I’m always terrified of it. I’m hoping if I drink and eat loads beforehand I’ll be okay 🤞🏻🤞🏻
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • AbigailAbigail Posts: 819 Part of The Mix Family
    I've given blood since I was 17. It's a great experience giving an hour of my life to save upto 3 people. There sometimes are complications but drink loads of water and keep an eye on any extra medication you take.
    When the needle goes in its fine to look away, for the first time staff may be attentive to you but you have the right to ask a member of staff to stay close by to help you through the process.
    Have a good treat for yourself afterwards like a proper coffee or chocolate.
    BTW the biscuits they have our nice and also have gluten free and dairy free options as well.
    Feel free to PM me if you want more indepth knowledge
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
    Thank you so much for the advice @Abigail, I’ve got my aunt coming with me so I’ve got someone there which I’m thankful for. I’ll definitely make sure to drink loads beforehand.
  • AbigailAbigail Posts: 819 Part of The Mix Family
    @Dandelion I'm not sure if I can mention this bit there is a public Facebook group where blood donors share their advice and ask question its called 'blood donor uk'. Best of luck though
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
    Ooh thanks I’ll check it out
    Thanks so much for letting me know about that group @Abigail ive just had a read through and it’s so lovely, I feel a lot calmer about it now
  • DurhamjaideDurhamjaide Posts: 1,225 Wise Owl
    Abigail wrote: »
    @Dandelion I'm not sure if I can mention this bit there is a public Facebook group where blood donors share their advice and ask question its called 'blood donor uk'. Best of luck though

I’m in it to I tried to donate a couple of weeks a go but I had to do it on my own and I wasn’t up for it.
    Oh no that’s a shame, is anyone willing to donate with you, I’m going with my Aunt and she’s donating at the same time
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    I think it's really brave of you to want to give blood despite your fears @Dandelion it's such an important thing that helps out way more than you'd ever realise. :grin: It's totally normal to be worried about the process it can be scary but as others in the thread have pointed out the nurses there are always very kind and more importantly very used to dealing with people who are worried! I hope it all goes well for you you'll have to let us know how you do. :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Tomorrow 😬😬😬😬😬 I’m so scared
  • enorth1enorth1 Posts: 68 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Dandelion, I just wanted to give you a huge good luck for today, we are all behind you! I agree with the previous replies that what you are doing is very brave and selfless. I'm sure the donation team are very used to people have lots of mixed emotions about donating, but they will be so appreciative of what you're doing <3
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hey @Dandelion
    It's perfectly normal to feel nervous about something you've never done before. I just wanted to wish you all the luck in the world! You're doing such an amazing thing, and it takes incredible bravery to do something that's out of your comfort zone. The nurses there will be so lovely and help you through it, I hope it went okay today! <3
    Thanks for the support everyone. I did it!! It was so much better than I thought it would be and I’m really proud of myself for doing it
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    That's amazing @Dandelion
    I'm so pleased it went better than you expected, you've done an incredible thing today, well done! :)
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,992 Extreme Poster
    Well done for signing up for it, it's a really good thing to do! :) I was going to, but my health dipped so I'm waiting until it stabilises before I start donating - hopefully won't be too long until I can join too!
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,238 Part of The Furniture
    Yay! Well done @Dandelion. We are super proud of you too. Really glad to hear it was so much better than you thought it would be :)