Homeโ€บ Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting โœจ
Options

Foster care :)

Ash1Ash1 Posts: 316 The Mix Regular
edited March 27 in Home, Law & Money
Hi, I'm Ashleigh, and I'm in foster care, and have been for 11 years, with the same foster carers. So if anyone here is going into care, and wants to know what it's like, or just wanna ask questions, then please feel free to, I'm always here for you โค
-Ashleigh/Ash ๐Ÿ’•โค๐Ÿ’•โค
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,618 Legendary Poster
    Iโ€™m not personally care experienced but know many people who are.

How do you feel about being in care? Howโ€™s your experience been. I often ask this question because I think itโ€™s important for people who might be going into care to read about others experiences and how it felt for them <3
    โ€œSometimes the people around you wonโ€™t understand your journey. They donโ€™t need to, itโ€™s not for them.โ€
  • Options
    Iโ€™m not personally care experienced but know many people who are.

How do you feel about being in care? Howโ€™s your experience been. I often ask this question because I think itโ€™s important for people who might be going into care to read about others experiences and how it felt for them <3

@independent_ Well, it was hard at first, but I've learned to accept that that's just the way things are, and it's much better and safer than being with my real family, this way I can be safe and learn how do do things the right way, so I can take it all into the future. My experience has been okay, it's definitely not been as bad as some people's has, and those who have had it rough, I'm sorry, and you can always talk about it with someone.
    Thank you for your questions, I appreciate it, and I'm always happy to answer your questions! โค
    -Ash โค๐Ÿ’•โค๐Ÿ’•
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Thank you very much for opening up this space, I'm sure it will be amazingly helpful to listen to you <3 If you feel okay answering this (absolutely no worries if not !!), I was wondering what you would say is the biggest misconception that people hold about foster care? xx I really appreciate your time.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for opening up this space, I'm sure it will be amazingly helpful to listen to you <3 If you feel okay answering this (absolutely no worries if not !!), I was wondering what you would say is the biggest misconception that people hold about foster care? xx I really appreciate your time.

Sorry, I don't check my messages here often cause I don't get many notifications ๐Ÿ˜…
    No problem ๐Ÿฅฐ No, that's okay, I'm happy to answer that, thanks :) Well, I would say the biggest misconception is that foster care is really bad and scary. Which isn't true at all, maybe at first, but it really isn't that bad when you get used to it. You just have to learn that they're there to help you. I think this misconception comes from people hearing bad things about it, which puts them off it and makes it seem like a bad, scary thing. Alright, some people may have had bad experiences in care, but just because it didn't work out well for them, doesn't mean it won't for you. Honestly, it's not that bad when you settle in. As long as you don't break their trust and screw them over, and be respectful and understand they're tryna help you, then you'll be fine.

Sorry this is long, but I hope it helped. Let me know if you have any more questions ๐Ÿ’•

-Ashleigh/Ashy/Ash ๐Ÿฅฐโคโคโค
  • Options
    Thank you so much for replying so quickly, Ash! I'm really grateful for that and to have read your amazingly insightful post. It's so important that you're here helping people like me to better understand what foster care is actually like for a lot of people, I also think it's really great that you recognise that some people can have difficult and scary experiences but that you encourage people to try to think positively where possible <3 Of course I know that's not always possible and when you're so young trying to navigate the world, it's no wonder there might be some backlash to moving into a new situation. You were beyond helpful and I think it's so fantastic that there is this awesome space for us all to learn =) xxxx
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for replying so quickly, Ash! I'm really grateful for that and to have read your amazingly insightful post. It's so important that you're here helping people like me to better understand what foster care is actually like for a lot of people, I also think it's really great that you recognise that some people can have difficult and scary experiences but that you encourage people to try to think positively where possible <3 Of course I know that's not always possible and when you're so young trying to navigate the world, it's no wonder there might be some backlash to moving into a new situation. You were beyond helpful and I think it's so fantastic that there is this awesome space for us all to learn =) xxxx

No problem, I try and reply as soon as I can :D Thank you so much! You have no idea how much your support helps me, it means a lot! โค Yeah, I do get that it's hard when people have a bad experience, but I do try and be positive about it, there's always something you can do to better a situation, if you really look! ๐Ÿฅฐ Thank you so much! You've been so helpful too, It means so much that you're being so kind and appreciate the advice I give, cause I like doing it! ๐Ÿ’•
    How are you? I hope you're okay :)
    -Ash โค๐Ÿ’•โค๐Ÿ’•
  • Options
    It's so lovely to learn from you because it's way better than even googling articles because this way we can actually listen to the people who have real lived experience =) I was thinking of asking another question too, if that's alright? I know this might sound like a silly one, as if the obvious answer is 'be kind', but, what makes a good foster carer to you? xx
  • Options
    It's so lovely to learn from you because it's way better than even googling articles because this way we can actually listen to the people who have real lived experience =) I was thinking of asking another question too, if that's alright? I know this might sound like a silly one, as if the obvious answer is 'be kind', but, what makes a good foster carer to you? xx

Aw well I'm glad I can teach you a few things. Of course, that's okay. Yeah it's nice they're nice ๐Ÿ˜‚ and they have to be understanding and help you when things are tough and be nice to everyone and preferebly not be racist or homophobic or lgbt+ phobic, ...Or just not discriminate againt anyone! ๐Ÿ˜…
    -Ash ๐Ÿ’•
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    You are teaching us a lot @Ash1. Thanks for sharing this really insightful information with us.

I can certainly hear how being nice, understanding, helpful and not discriminating are really important elements of a foster carer!

Are these positive things about foster carers how you have experienced foster care? :)
  • Options
    You are teaching us a lot @Ash1. Thanks for sharing this really insightful information with us.

I can certainly hear how being nice, understanding, helpful and not discriminating are really important elements of a foster carer!

Are these positive things about foster carers how you have experienced foster care? :)

Thank you! And no problem ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Well...mostly I guess. They're don't discriminate but occasionally I feel like they totally don't get me and only see things from their point of view and think I need to be like everyone else ๐Ÿ™„ I just gotta live with it I guess ๐Ÿ˜
    -Ash ๐Ÿ’•
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    edited April 2022
    I am really glad to hear you have mainly experienced the positive things you have mentioned about foster carers @Ash1. In particular, it is really positive to hear they don't discriminate.

Though, it sounds difficult that you sometimes feel they don't get you and only see things from their point of view. I can hear how that might be frustrating. Uniqueness is good and deserves celebrating! :)
  • Options
    I am really glad to hear you have mainly experienced the positive things you have mentioned about foster carers @Ash1. In particular, it is really positive to hear they don't discriminate.

Though, it sounds difficult that you sometimes feel they don't get you and only see things from their point of view. I can hear how that might be frustrating. Uniqueness is good and deserves celebrating! :)

Thank you @Laura_tigger82 That means a lot ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Yeah it is difficult but oh well ๐Ÿ˜‚ I agree! ๐Ÿฅฐ
    How are you today? ๐Ÿ’•
    -Ash โค
  • Options
    Ah, thank you so very much for getting back to me on this! I think that's such an important point you make, to ensure that children and young people are safe from any kinds of discrimination at home is beyond essential! <3 In terms of what you mentioned about not always agreeing/getting along, I am curious if there is anything in particular you regularly disagree on? (feel free to ignore this one if you'd prefer not to answer) xxx
  • Options
    Ah, thank you so very much for getting back to me on this! I think that's such an important point you make, to ensure that children and young people are safe from any kinds of discrimination at home is beyond essential! <3 In terms of what you mentioned about not always agreeing/getting along, I am curious if there is anything in particular you regularly disagree on? (feel free to ignore this one if you'd prefer not to answer) xxx

No problem! I'm happy to answer! ๐Ÿฅฐ Well, not huge things, just...it's hard to explain ๐Ÿ˜… Certain situations and things. If I think one thing is okay in a scenario, she'll think it's not. Or she thinks there's a right way of doing something, or being something, and occasionally I'll disagree with it. So not huge things, and she doesn't have bad or wrong views, I just have different opinions than her on some things.
    Sorry if that made no sense ๐Ÿ˜‚
    -Ash โค
  • Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Hi @Ash1 lovely to have you here!

Super glad to see this section having some use again.

I spent time in care growing up and it's something I struggle with regularly. I don't have any questions for you but feel free to reach out if you ever need a chat:)
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    Hi @Ash1 lovely to have you here!

Super glad to see this section having some use again.

I spent time in care growing up and it's something I struggle with regularly. I don't have any questions for you but feel free to reach out if you ever need a chat:)

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it! ๐Ÿฅฐ And the same goes for you! ๐Ÿ’•
    -Ash โค๐Ÿ’•โค๐Ÿ’•
  • Options
    LeilaLeila Posts: 2,064 Boards Champion
    Ash1 wrote: ยป
    Hi, I'm Ashleigh, and I'm in foster care, and have been for 11 years, with the same foster carers. So if anyone here is going into care, and wants to know what it's like, or just wanna ask questions, then please feel free to, I'm always here for you โค

Hey Ash,

I am not in Foster care but wanted to come and say thank you for telling the community that's a massive step, as it can be quite daunting that your opening up to the world, but well done!

How has being in care been like for you? I've heard some of my friends who are in care saythat their care experiences haven't been perfect, but life isn't perfect.

I am so pleased to hear you don't feel discrimated by your Foster carers, that's lovely and positive to hear, it sounds like they support you ad best as they can, which is important and amazing!

You don't have to answer but, how has being in care for 11 years, has it helped you, etc? And also, how has your experience been?

Of course you don't have to answer,

Take care,

Leila โ™ก
  • Options
    Thank you @Ash1 !! Grateful for your answer <3 and 1000% it makes total sense and disagreements on 'small things' can make up part of life, right? Although that definitely does not make it less frustrating when we're faced with those kinds of arguments especially in the home environment!! xx
  • Options

Hey Ash,

I am not in Foster care but wanted to come and say thank you for telling the community that's a massive step, as it can be quite daunting that your opening up to the world, but well done!

How has being in care been like for you? I've heard some of my friends who are in care saythat their care experiences haven't been perfect, but life isn't perfect.

I am so pleased to hear you don't feel discrimated by your Foster carers, that's lovely and positive to hear, it sounds like they support you ad best as they can, which is important and amazing!

You don't have to answer but, how has being in care for 11 years, has it helped you, etc? And also, how has your experience been?

Take care,

Leila โ™ก

Hey Leila,
    Thank you very much! ๐Ÿ’•
    It took a lot of getting used to at first, but so does everything! It's been good, I've been brought up normally in care, which I appreciate. If I wasn't in care, I dread to think of what life would look like for me, I'd live with horrible people who have horrible views on things, and I'd be brought up to live like them, and I'd be a horrible person myself! So that I'll be forever grateful for ๐Ÿ’•

Happy to answer! :smile: Yes, being in care for 11 years has definitely helped me. I had a lot of issues before being in care, and a lot of hygiene issues and speech issues ( due to FASD, aka fetal alcohol syndrome) and my family had a lot of issues too, drink and drugs, my mum clearly couldn't stop it even when pregnant, which is the reason for my FASD, obviously :/ But being in care has definitely helped, I have a lot better hygiene, and my speech is way better, not perfect, I still have a lisp and probably always will, but that's okay, at least it's better. Sorry if that was way too much information, but I hope it answered your question! ๐Ÿฅฐ

-Ash โค๐Ÿ’•โค๐Ÿ’•
  • Options

Hey Ash,

Take care,

Leila โ™ก

Hey Leila,
    It took a lot of getting used to at first, but so does everything! It's been good, I've been brought up normally in care, which I appreciate. If I wasn't in care, I dread to think of what life would look like for me, I'd live with horrible people who have horrible views on things, and I'd be brought up to live like them, and I'd be a horrible person myself! So that I'll be forever grateful for ๐Ÿ’•

Happy to answer! :smile: Yes, being in care for 11 years has definitely helped me. I had a lot of issues before being in care, and a lot of hygiene issues and speech issues ( due to FASD, aka fetal alcohol syndrome) and my family had a lot of issues too, drink and drugs, my mum clearly couldn't stop it even when pregnant, which is the reason for my FASD, obviously :/ But being in care has definitely helped, I have a lot better hygiene, and my speech is way better, not perfect, I still have a lisp and probably always will, but that's okay, at least it's better. Sorry if that was way too much information, but I hope it answered your question! ๐Ÿฅฐ

-Ash โค๐Ÿ’•โค๐Ÿ’•

Hey Ash,

I am so pleased things are okay, yiu deserve to be heard and supported, so I'm so pleased for you, thank you for telling me and answering my question,

Lots of love,

Leila
  • Options

Hey Ash,

Take care,

Leila โ™ก

Hey Leila,

-Ash โค๐Ÿ’•โค๐Ÿ’•

Hey Ash,

I am so pleased things are okay, yiu deserve to be heard and supported, so I'm so pleased for you, thank you for telling me and answering my question,

Lots of love,

Leila

Thank you so much, I appreciate all the support! ๐Ÿ’• No problem, always here to answer your questions! โค
    Lots of love,
    Ash ๐Ÿ’•
  • Options
    Thank you @Ash1 !! Grateful for your answer <3 and 1000% it makes total sense and disagreements on 'small things' can make up part of life, right? Although that definitely does not make it less frustrating when we're faced with those kinds of arguments especially in the home environment!! xx
    Thank you very much for understanding!
    -Ash ๐Ÿ’•
  • Options

Hey Ash,

Take care,

Leila โ™ก

Hey Leila,

-Ash โค๐Ÿ’•โค๐Ÿ’•

Hey Ash,

Lots of love,

Leila

Thank you so much, I appreciate all the support! ๐Ÿ’• No problem, always here to answer your questions! โค
    Lots of love,
    Ash ๐Ÿ’•

Hi Ash,

You're very welcome! No worries, lots of hugs,

Leila
  • Options

Hey Ash,

Take care,

Leila โ™ก

Hey Leila,

-Ash โค๐Ÿ’•โค๐Ÿ’•

Hey Ash,

Lots of love,

Leila

Lots of love,
    Ash ๐Ÿ’•

Hi Ash,

You're very welcome! No worries, lots of hugs,

Leila

๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜Š
    -Ash ๐Ÿ’•