Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Family life

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 188 Helping Hand
Hello all.

I came back home a couple of hours ago from my film society in a happy mood, and my brother suddenly just picked on me about forgetting to put my mum’s passport back in the box. Next, I discovered my dad threw some of my dinner away which upset me. Then, he woke up noticing and shouted, asking what is up with me, making me feel worse. This triggered memories of when he has shouted at me for being upset in the past. He would say you are not ready for girlfriend and no girls will want to be around me and they will get fed up of me. I was cringing as I was writing these comments, as I am afraid people may agree. I am often angry that he has gotten away with this unfair treatment towards me. My brother kept drawing attention to me being upset when I was trying to move on from it. He kept on saying I am still angry with smirk on his face. He was asking me which of them I was upset me. I was hesitant in sharing. I was short in legs and glued to my chair. This whole situation has happened many times before.

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Creativeboy23

Thanks for your post. It is always great to hear from you. I am glad to hear you came back from film society in a happy mood. Would you like to tell us more about what film society looked like for you last night?

I am sorry to hear about your family circumstances last night though. You have been really brave in telling us what is happening for you. It sounds really upsetting. No one deserves to be treated the way you have been. In fact, some people would call it abuse. Do you feel comfortable talking to anyone more about how you are feeling and what you are experiencing? You deserve to feel supported and heard.

We are always here for you and listening to you, but you may find Childline (https://www.childline.org.uk/) useful too. Please contact 999 if you feel you are ever at immediate or significant risk of harm (or someone else is). We will never agree with the horrible comments said about you. We think you are lovely and a wonderful member of our community! <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Hello @Laura_tigger82.

Thank you. It is great to hear from you too. I was talking to more new people, making me proud because I have built up my confidence in talking to others. I also watched a movie called Rango.

Yes. It would be great if I could talk to a counsellor, who would take me more seriously. But I am stuck in the waiting list. Do you know any other counselling services for autistic people? Or, where I could access them?

Thanks for the link.

Cheers. Likewise. <3

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Creativeboy23

Thanks for your response. I am really proud of you too for meeting new people and building up your confidence in talking to others. Did you enjoy watching Rango? Not sure I have seen Rango before!

I can hear that you would like to talk to a counsellor who would take you more seriously. All counsellors should be able to accommodate your autism! How have you previously found counselling as an autistic person?

In terms of accessing a counselling service targeted specifically towards autistic people, I am aware of CASS (Counselling and Autism Spectrum Support). Though, I don't have any direct experience with this counselling service, unfortunately. It means I cannot comment on the quality of their service. If you would like to explore this further, you can find more information at https://casscounselling.co.uk/.

I also have a link for the National Autistic Society which might be helpful, even though it is unfortunately not specifically what you were hoping for. The National Autistic Society provides some detailed information about counselling and where you could look for counselling. If you are interested, you can find it at https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/strategies-and-interventions/strategies-and-interventions/counselling.

At this point, I would also like to highlight The Mix have a counselling service! If you are interested, you can find more information at https://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/speak-to-our-team/the-mix-counselling-service.

I hope this helps but if you have any questions or anything else we can do to support you, please do just let us know! :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Hello @Laura_tigger82.

Yes. It was really good.

I have struggled to communicate my emotions over the phone to my counsellor. So, I asked him if I could send over my writing about how I was feeling, but was told I could not. There were a lot of okays and ums from him when I was sharing my troubles. He also kept asking me the same question in all my sessions.

That is completely fine. Thanks for the links.

It does help thank you. Thanks again. :3