Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I am lost

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
I don't know what to do with my future. My brain is not working. I need to find a job to support myself but I am intimidated. What if my future colleagues find out that my brain is on strick all the time?
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 645 Incredible Poster
    Hey Kate,

It is hard and stressful when you don't know what to do with your future in terms of work. I'm wondering what kind of jobs interest you? What skills or qualities do you have? And what your hobbies and interests are? It might be wise to try to find a job that matches your interests and strengths. You can also take job or personality quizzes to for inspiration as well.

If you want a certain job but don't have the training, then apprenticeships might be a good idea. Alternatively, you can always volunteer to help improve your skills.

I'd also suggest not rushing your job searching. When we feel desperate, it can feel like we should apply for 100s of jobs each month and we may even accept jobs that we don't really want, just because it's a job. But it's best to target your job search to specific jobs that you actually do want.

It might also be reassuring to know that it's okay to change jobs/careers throughout your life, so that you don't feel tied down to one particular job either.

Looking for work while also dealing with mental health isn't easy. But your future employers and co-workers should not discriminate against you. If they do, then they are breaking the law as well. You might want to look up reviews of companies/organisations that you might apply for to get an idea of the type of environment or work culture. You don't have to stick with a job that makes you feel worse.

Are there any careers advice centres you could go to? Or maybe your university has a careers department? They might be able to help plan your next steps to make the transition into work smoother! :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    SonaSona Posts: 30 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Kate_20,

Is there anything you're really passionate about? Or something something you loved to do as a child?

It's completely normal to not know what job you want to do right now and it's okay to take your time to figure it out. You have till your sixties to keep working, so might as well be doing something you love and are passionate about! And if it makes you feel better, you're not the only one who feels anxious about work and job prospects, especially during the pandemic. But you can always lean on us! xxx
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,123 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Kate_20

Thanks for reaching out for support. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out. I am really glad to see all the wonderful support already provided by @Maisy and @Sona.

Would you like to talk to us more about where you are currently at with things and why you are not sure what you want to do with your future? in which ways your brain is not working? Or why do you feel intimidated?

I am sorry to hear you are struggling with this, it sounds like a particularly difficult time for you. Please remember we are always here for you, listening to you, and supporting you <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I would t worry too much. I’m 40 and have never really felt like I knew what I wanted to do with my life career wise.
    I got qualifications I never really used and then did various jobs, trying out different things until I was in my 30s and finally settled in IT.

I would put an emphasis on doing something you enjoy, and you don’t necessarily need to enjoy the ‘job’. Often it’s it the people your work with that make the difference between enjoying what you do and hating what you do.

With regards to mental health issues, it’s my experience that the larger business are more clued up on mental health issues affecting their employees. I work for Ordnance Survey and ‘well-being’ is a massive part of the company culture.

The smaller business I’ve worked with really didn’t care.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Hey @Skive

Thanks for your response. I think it is great to hear that it is okay not to know. Really inspiring to hear your story. How are you currently finding IT? :3
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Maisy wrote: »
    Hey Kate,

It is hard and stressful when you don't know what to do with your future in terms of work. I'm wondering what kind of jobs interest you? What skills or qualities do you have? And what your hobbies and interests are? It might be wise to try to find a job that matches your interests and strengths. You can also take job or personality quizzes to for inspiration as well.

If you want a certain job but don't have the training, then apprenticeships might be a good idea. Alternatively, you can always volunteer to help improve your skills.

I'd also suggest not rushing your job searching. When we feel desperate, it can feel like we should apply for 100s of jobs each month and we may even accept jobs that we don't really want, just because it's a job. But it's best to target your job search to specific jobs that you actually do want.

It might also be reassuring to know that it's okay to change jobs/careers throughout your life, so that you don't feel tied down to one particular job either.

Looking for work while also dealing with mental health isn't easy. But your future employers and co-workers should not discriminate against you. If they do, then they are breaking the law as well. You might want to look up reviews of companies/organisations that you might apply for to get an idea of the type of environment or work culture. You don't have to stick with a job that makes you feel worse.

Are there any careers advice centres you could go to? Or maybe your university has a careers department? They might be able to help plan your next steps to make the transition into work smoother! :)

This is brilliant advice :) All I'd add is that at some point, you'll learn as much as you can about jobs through research and talking to people. After that, the best way is to simply try out roles. Especially these days, people are changing jobs every few years, so it's totally okay to try out a job and realise it's not for you - often, people find their dream job in a role or sector that they didn't even consider to begin with. There's lots of opportunities out there, so take those chances and make the most of them x
  • Options
    Hey @Azziman

I just wanted to say thank you for continuing to support our community. All your efforts are recognised and appreciated. Please remember that we are always here for you too though! How are you today? :3
  • Options
    How are you currently finding IT? :3

It's ok, a bit dull but I work with interesting people which makes the difference, the pays good which helps, and the holiday is fantastic.

I've just worked out that in 23 years I've done the following jobs:

McDonalds
    Labourer
    Window Cleaner
    Wharehouse worker
    Shelf Stacker at Tescos
    Greenkeeper (when I joined this place 2001)
    Themepark Ride operator
    CNC Operator
    Telecoms Field Engineer
    Carpet Fitter
    EPOS and ScalesEngineer
    IT Engineer

Some really varied jobs there. Some fantastic, some terrible. But you never know until you try your hand at something whether you will liek it. But even if it's terrible, it's better than doing nothing. Keep you mind busy and you'll be happier. I think in that 23 years I had 2 monts where i wasn't emplyed. It's the only time I think I;ve suffered with mental health issues. I felt the lowest I ever had.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Hey @Skive

Thanks for sharing this with us. Always wonderful to hear some more about you and your experiences. What a variety of jobs you have had indeed. I think it is important to keep in mind that different people look for different things in jobs too!

I am really sorry to hear you were unemployed for 2 months. I can completely hear and understand why you may have suffered from mental health issues when unemployed. Have you received the support you need to manage your mental health issues now? and what would you say to your unemployed self now? :3
  • Options
    This was 15 odd years ago. No support required, I just got another job and very soon felt much better.

Something I'm trying to instill in my kids - it's important to keep working and keep busy, even if it's in a job you don't particualry like. It's not just good for your mental and physical health, but it's good for your career prospects too. It's much easier to have the motivation to get another job, while you're already working, and you're much more likely to be successful in any application if you are already working.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    @Maisy @Sona @Laura_tigger82 @Skive @Azziman Thank you all for your brilliant advice. I am still working on my mental health and have not found a job yet. I am trying to focus on one thing at a time.
  • Options
    @Skive - I am glad you feel better now. Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom with us :3

@Kate_20 - I completely hear you. If you feel focusing on one thing at a time is beneficial, please keep it up. Looking after your mental health is such an important step forwards for you. I think you are doing really well, but if there's anything we can support you with please just let us know :3
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Azziman

I just wanted to say thank you for continuing to support our community. All your efforts are recognised and appreciated. Please remember that we are always here for you too though! How are you today? :3

Awh thank you, that's really kind of you to say! I'm doing well thanks, life is good. Health isn't the best at the moment unfortunately, but I'm doing my best to keep things stable until I see the GP. But otherwise, all is well :D How about yourself?
  • Options
    Okay, no need for working because I've got thrown back into my education again.