Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

helping a friend who also struggle badly?

skyrhiannaaskyrhiannaa Posts: 1 Just got here
us is fair to ask for less of her problems on me because it makes my mental health worse or am i wrong for that?

Comments

• Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hey @skyrhiannaa,

Thanks for reaching out. It's obvious that you care a lot about your friend, and are a constant source of comfort and support for them. It's important to have boundaries though, your mental health is a priority. It's not selfish to put yourself first, it's a necessity. Is there anyway you can encourage your friend to reach out to some services for support, like SHOUT or The Samaritans, or even access their GP who can refer them to some supportive services to help them through their difficulties? Also, please know you're not alone. If your mental health is deteriorating please do look after yourself. If you need support you can reach out here, or to SHOUT (85258) or The Samaritans (116 123). You and your mental health are very important. <3
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Completely agree with what Brookee has said above - you are absolutely entitled to putting yourself first when you need to. Maybe you and your friend could both look into getting some support outside of your relationship with each other? Are you or she already in touch with your GPs or any other support services you could lean on?
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    edited January 2022
    Hi @skyrhiannaa

Welcome to The Mix's community. It is great to see you have joined us. I am really glad to see @Brookee and @Lucy307 have already provided you with some wonderful support.

As @Brookee and @Lucy307 have said, it is absolutely fine that you prioritise your own mental health! In fact, it is really important too.

Have you both got some support you could lean on? Sending you both hugs <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    Hey there,

As the others have said, it's not wrong for wanting to ask to hear less about your friend's problems because it makes you feel worse. We like to think that we will always do what we can and be there for our friends but unfortunately, that doesn't always work, especially if we struggle with our own mental health. If both you and your friend struggle with mental health, then it may be a good idea to let your friend know that as much as you would like to support them, you are struggling too and aren't able to be there for them emotionally. It may be a good idea for both you and your friend to seek support outside of the friendship.

If you want to let your friend talk about their struggles, then it might help to do this in a productive way, for example, both you and your friend can share things with each that might help to make each other feel better, as opposed to sending negative messages that may make you feel worse. You might also want to think about what you and your friend can do together to help yourselves feel better for example, sharing funny videos or planning a fun activity/day out. This way, even if you and your friend might not be able to spend time and talk about things when it makes you feel worse, you can always spend time and do things that help you both to take your minds off whatever is bothering you <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.