Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Coping with the January Blues (and how are you?)

coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
Hello everyone :blush:

I understand that January can be a particularly challenging month for many. The dark weather, going back to work/school...the January blues can hit for many different reasons. So I thought we could start a thread about your favourite ways to give yourself that little extra TLC during January. What do you like to do to brighten up your January days?

I also want to ask...how are you doing? :heart:
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I'll start it off. I heard Claudia Winkelman talking about January on the radio. She was saying how she actually really enjoys the month! For it's a time of new beginnings, spring cleaning, fresh starts. The chaos of Christmas has passed and everything is clean and calm.

I loved hearing this perspective. It really made me think about how I could view January in a different light. So for me, I'm actively trying to shift my thoughts towards a mindset just like that. Making 2022 vision boards, cleaning out my wardrobe and drawers, buying a new planner etc. It's been a super refreshing perspective change so far :blush:
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    I’ve not been doing the best but I don’t think it’s got much to do with it being January, I’d probably feel the same if it was the middle of July. That said, I did feel sad in the first few days that the distraction of the festivities was over, and that I and others around me had to go back to reality. All feels like a distant memory now.

I find dark evenings somewhat calming, maybe I am strange, when it’s daylight I feel like I should be doing something with my life when actually I just need peace and time to be calm. I’ve needed a lot of quiet relaxing times lately, I feel like I let stress build up too much before Christmas and I was basically non functional for 2 weeks in the middle of December..I’m just trying to make sure that doesn’t happen again anytime soon.

I’ve found talking has helped too, my partner is staying here for a while and he’s probably one of the only people I feel like I can talk to offline.

Basically, I’m just getting by as best I can, like I do for most of the year. And trying to do self care things like listening to music and blocking out the stupid world with my noise cancelling headphones :lol:
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,788 Master Poster
    I know it might not be the most appropriate place to put this video but when I saw the thing about the January Blues it immediately made me think of an old video that The Mix did. https://youtu.be/rxP5T2cjenM
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @coc0mac

Thanks for initiating this thread. I think it is such a great idea. You are right, many people do unfortunately struggle with January blues.

My favourite ways to give myself extra TLC during January are warm baths/showers, drinking hot chocolate and plenty of cups of tea, wearing comfy clothes, and making sure I take regular breaks.

I am doing okay at the moment thank you. Though, it was a difficult first week of January for me as my laptop and phone broke. I have now luckily got some technology back and it is on an up!

Thanks also for sharing your perspective on January :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @independent_ - Hey! I am really sorry to hear you are struggling right now. Is there anything you would like to talk to us about? Are there any distractions that you could continue into January? Especially if it is like watching television. I am really proud of you for identifying what you need and what helps you. I hope you can have peace and calm :3

@Dancer - Thanks for sharing this video with us! How does the video make you feel? :3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,084 Wise Owl
    Hey @coc0mac

Thanks for starting this thread, I think it’s going to really help people.

Sending hugs to all those who need them :heart:
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

• Options
    Aww @Stephanie, thank you. We are sending you hugs if you need them too! How are you today? :3
  • Options
    Some really lovely suggestions here! Thank you so much for getting involved and sharing such great tips :heart:

Sending big hugs to all who need it :heart:
  • Options
    Thanks @coc0mac. I am glad we have created some lovely suggestions and been helpful. Sending you hugs too if you need them and anyone else for that matter. How are you today? :3
  • Options
    Thank you @Laura_tigger82 ! I'm doing good, thanks so much for asking :3 Just seen that Harry Styles is coming to the UK for a few tour dates...so in a great mood now haha! How are you doing today? :heart:
  • Options
    Hey @coc0mac

Thanks for your response. I am really glad to hear you are doing good. I am good too thank you. Oh, how exciting! Will you be able to see Harry Styles on tour? :3
  • Options
    I'm so glad you're doing good too @Laura_tigger82! :blush:

I really hope so! I'm sure ticket sales will fly hahaha, but feeling optimistic! :3
  • Options
    Aww, thanks so much @coc0mac. Your response and kindness mean a lot to me and others within the community. You will just need to be on it on the day of release! But hopefully you can see Harry Styles :3
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    :3<3 right back at you @Laura_tigger82 - you're always so lovely and caring on the boards! you are helping so many people :heart:

thanks so much! gonna be there on the day and have asked my brother to try too hehe - cover all bases :lol:
  • Options
    Hi @coc0mac

Aww, thanks so much for all your loveliness! I do try to be supportive and help. I am really glad you can see that. Oh yes, as many devices and people as possible =)