Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How can you trick yourself into feeling better when doing essays?

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
How can you trick yourself into feeling better when doing essays? I need some tips. My essay is making me feel hopeless.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Kate_20

Thanks for reaching out to us. It depends on the context. In which way is your essay making you feel hopeless? Hopefully, we can help you to feel better about your essay :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    @Laura_tigger82 Because no matter what I have done, I cannot feel good about it. I feel like it is going all wrong.
    edited January 2022
    @Laura_tigger82 I can only do things when there is no consequence of making mistakes. For example, when I read a short story before I start doing my essay to exercise my brain, I can concentrate on it better because it does not affect me if I get it all wrong. Even journal articles of neuroscience seem easier compared to what I read for my literature review because I can understand them wrongly without consequences :( My brain is weird
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @Kate_20 Have you tried doing it in chunks of time? I.e. 20 minutes of work, 5-10 minutes off? This may help reduce the pressure, because if you spend long periods of time staring at a screen, and trying to take in information, it can lead to overload, and cause intense panic and anxiety. Is your degree on literature? I feel like that's a very subjective subject isn't it? Is it possible for you to find that literature impacts you differently to others and it still be right as long as you have the evidence to back it up?
    edited January 2022
    @Brookee Yeah I tried that but it did not work. No, I am not lucky enough to study English Literature. I admire those who are courageous enough to study literature. I am not talented enough to study it.
    Hi @Kate_20

You are talented enough to study anything you want to. However, I strongly believe in a quote that I have posted at the end of this response!

You have talents that we don't have. That's the beauty of life. If we could all do everything, we would just live by ourselves and not need to help one another.

Instead, we are a circle of people who support one another and share our strengths with each other to have the best possible final outcomes! That's where the beauty of diversity comes in.

In terms of consequences, you are currently doing your dissertation which is proof that you have written assignments previously and succeeded. This will be no different. It is just bigger and tries to scare you but you know what? you will beat it and you will succeed again!

Try and remember that the sooner you get writing the more of an opportunity you will have to proofread and edit it at the end. I can almost guarantee you will be less worried by then and just want to submit it!

A good strategy for reducing the barrier you are currently feeling is to set yourself a timer as @Brookee suggested. Within this time, you could free-write without worrying about what it says or the grammar and punctuation. Again, you could proofread it and edit it once the timer is complete.

We are here for you and determined to help you to get to graduate status! <3

4cbcpmn8hfse.png

I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    These are all so helpful! I'm just wondering do these techniques differ when it comes to different subjects. perhaps some are more opinionated or argumentative.
    edited January 2022
    Hi @maryam852

Great question! In this case, I already knew what @kate_20 was studying so I offered support accordingly! Could you please expand on which techniques you are wondering about in particular? Then I could differentiate my guidance if necessary for your situation :)
  • maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @Laura_tigger82 Yes, of course! For example, with science, essays have to be factual and are often structured rigidly but for subjects like Politics, English and even Philosophy, references and explaining those references are necessary-not to mention are more tailored essay structure. For a lot of essay-based subjects, preparing your sources and statistics may need to be sorted out before you begin writing the actual essay but for science, perhaps summarising key ideas would be beneficial.
    Hi @maryam852

Thanks for your post. You have raised some really important points. Though, even science essays require references if you have got the ideas from somewhere other than common knowledge or your own work. Great tips for science students though. Thanks so much for sharing! :)
    3 A's is incredible @Adam_S. Plus, scores are not everything. They do not define you. How do you feel more generally about the subjects you study? :3
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    edited January 2022
    Completely agree that 3 A's is awesome @Adam_S, but I know hearing that from others does little when you yourself are feeling unhappy with your progress, or lack thereof. What's got you feeling down about the scores at the minute, I know you said since 2020, so is this pandemic related? Huge hugs and let us know how you're doing at your own pace <3

[Just going to create a new split thread for this too in order to allow both you and Kate the space to talk in depth about your own experiences] xxx

Here is link to split thread <3
  • SonaSona Posts: 30 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Kate_20, it might help you to take things a step at a time. First start with an outline. Then try to fill in the gaps, write your conclusion and finally spend your time editing your (spelling & grammar) mistakes and the flow of your writing.
    Let me know if you need me to elaborate and good luck!
    Hi @Sona

Thanks for providing some wonderful support. Your support is always appreciated and valued. Please remember we are always here for you too though! How are you today? :)
  • SonaSona Posts: 30 Boards Initiate
    @Laura_tigger82 I'm PMS'ing and want to eat everything in sight :)

How are you? xxx
    @Laura_tigger82 @Sona Thanks. I am just frustrated with myself that I cannot analyse things in depth because my memory is destroyed. I am make a real mess of the analysis despite the structure.
    @Sona - Oh, don't I know that feeling well! That was me last week. Though I am currently feeling unwell so I have ordered more food treats. I hope you are treating yourself to what your body is craving :3

@Kate_20 - I am sorry to hear you are struggling with your data analysis. What do you mean when you say your memory is destroyed? I am hoping we can support you with the data analysis. I think you are doing amazing and I cannot wait to hear you have finished your dissertation and we can virtually celebrate on The Mix community! :3