Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Any suggestions for self-help books about compulsive self-harm?

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
edited December 2021 in Health & Wellbeing
I know my mental health problems started with self-harming a decade ago and it is never a big deal in the eyes of medical professionals. I self-harm all the time when I feel anxious and it can happen when I am working or sleeping. It is very hard to control because I sometimes I do not notice that I am doing it and I cannot wake myself from sleep to prevent myself from doing it. I also cannot avoid everything in my life because everything makes me feel anxious and I have the urges to do it. I cannot replace it with anything because it is so easy to do and I love the pain that it caused myself. Fiddling with paper cannot make me feel the pain at the same time and fiddling with cardboard distracts me. I just need to concentrate but I cannot concentrate without doing it. I have to hide myself from people because my behaviour is disgusting. The crisis team told me that the method I use does not classify as self-harm so it is not serious. I used to have a therapist but only for anxiety and depression. I brought up the problem for a few times but it was overlooked. I am wondering if there are any self-help books for that as I think I really should depend on myself because nobody cares. I might not be able to concentrate enough to read it now but I will read it when my depression gets a bit better.

mod edit: removed method of self-harm
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    edited December 2021
    Hi @Kate_20

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out.

To me, it sounds like at the root of this is strategies for managing your anxiety. Some useful resources for managing anxiety are Anxiety UK (https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/) and Mind (https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/self-care/).

It sounds like you may also benefit from support with self-harm. One quote which brings this to my attention from your post is "I love the pain that it caused myself". Please always remember that Samaritans can help you through this. Mind also has some useful information at https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/self-harm/about-self-harm/.

Whilst I hear that other people have told you it is not self-harm, it is not the behaviours as such that determine if it is or is not. Rather, it is your motivations behind the behaviours which determine if it is or is not. I hear you say you want to inflict pain on yourself which would tell me it is self-harm-related.

I am also wondering if this is sensory-related? Is it that you want to feel things and are struggling to? If so, have you tried things like weighted blankets? I have heard they can be supportive.

I have found a few books on Amazon which you might find useful as self-help for compulsive your self-harming. These include:

TW: methods of self-harm
    - Stop Picking on Me: The Definitive Guide on Excoriation Disorder Skin Picking Disorder (SPD)
    - Dermatillomania Treatment and Self-Help: How to Stop Chronic, Obsessive Compulsive Skin Picking
    - The Skin Picker's Bible: A short, snappy guide to overcoming skin picking disorder

I hope these help.

We care, we are here for you and we are always listening to you <3

mod edit: added TW to book recommendations
    Post edited by JustV on
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @Kate_20 i think Laura has given some great recommendations here. I just wanted to ask, I know you said you felt this hasn’t been taken seriously by medical professionals, but is this something you have talked about with any mental health professionals before? If so, has it been taken more seriously in those spaces? (I hope so)

Take good care
    Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    @Lucy Yeah, I talked to each and every one of the medical professional about this issue but they ignored it. No, it has never been taken seriously.
    Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
    Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
    El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Kate_20

I am sorry to hear that you feel professionals have not yet taken it seriously.

I just want you to know that we are taking it seriously because we care about you :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.