Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Supporting my LGBTQ+ friends: I feel guilty that I did not do enough

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
edited June 2023 in Gender & Sexuality
I am really sorry if I say anything wrong in this post and correct me if you notice that it is wrong. I would apologise. I've only signed several petitions to help my LGBTQ+ friends who are treated unfairly by my community. A lot of people have done more than that. They have written news articles to help them. I cannot even concentrate enough to read relevant articles. I hate myself for being depressed and suicidal and of no use. Otherwise my brain would work and I could do something more positive for them. I feel like a bad friend who is unable to do things to support my friends when they are suffering but they are always there for me when I suffer mental ill health.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Kate_20

Thanks for reaching out to us. I appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out.

I think it is wonderful that you are proactively trying to help your LGBTQ+ friends.

It is one thing to say we do not discriminate but it is another to want to proactively help.

It is also a sign of love for your friends that you want to help even though you are struggling to.

Your friends care about you just as much as you care about them and will know you support them and they will just want you to be okay and put your mental health first.

I think you have so many uses! You are a wonderful and caring person <3

If there's a way we can help you to construct something you would like to write then please just let us know.

Otherwise, care about your mental health for now and I hope you feel better soon :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hey@Kate_20

I think it's important to point out that you are doing something of significance. No matter what you do to help, that's still something. It's important to remember that you're not well at the moment, and the fact you're signing petitions to help is incredible! Please be kind and gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can within your circumstances, and I'm sure your friends feel grateful for anything you do.

I wonder, have you discussed how you feel about this with your friends? They will probably be able to reassure you that they're grateful for any help you're giving considering you're struggling with mental health right now.

Please remember to be kind with yourself. You're trying your best and that's all you can do!
  • Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    @Laura_tigger82 My brain is not working and nobody can fix that. @Brookee I don't feel like I deserve to talk to anyone anymore.
    Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
    Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
    El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    We may not be able to fix that and nor do we want to fix that/you. However, we can listen to you and stand by your side throughout this storm @Kate_20 <3

We care about you and we are here for you. You definitely deserve to talk to us :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @Kate_20 I know our brains can cause such distress and make us feel like we’re unworthy but you’re never unworthy of love and support from others. I’m sure they will be so grateful for any activism you’re doing within your power right now. Please be kind and gentle with yourself, this is a difficult time for you and you are doing something to support your friends, despite this distress you’re going through and that’s fantastic!

Please know if reaching out to your friends is too hard right now, you can reach out to other mental health crisis services like SHOUT, they may be able to give you some practise and reaching out to your friends, and make interactions slightly less daunting. I understand that you feel like you don’t deserve support but you really really do. You’re never alone and we care a lot about you and will always be here to support you <3