Homeā€ŗ Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting āœØ
Options

Effective revision methods?

Past UserPast User RecoveringšŸ„€LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
edited March 27 in Work & Study
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by JustV on
Tagged:
Ā«1

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @zaynab_5

Thanks for your question. Effective revision methods depend on your preferred learning methods.

I would overall say make sure you have a list of all the topics to make sure you cover them all.

Particular revision methods may include:

- Making posters/mindmaps
    - Watching videos
    - Listening to podcasts
    - Quizzes
    - Answering past papers (and marking them according to the marking criteria)

Good luck :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User RecoveringšŸ„€ LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
  • Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @zaynab_5 Good luck with your A-level mocks

I think this all really depends on your style of revision, do you find you absorb more information from drawing, writing, doing things etc? This can be really helpful to find out, and then you can create revision methods based off what you find the most helpful :)

I used to do revision note cards and they really helped, like I'd have a subject or a question on one side and the answer on the other, it really helped me :)
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Hi @zaynab_5

Yes, notes can be really useful if that's how you like to learn best :)

Honestly, how I used to revise for my exams is one of the most discouraged but it worked for me because that's how I learn best!

For me, that was copying text and covering it up, and trying to write it again from memory. Eventually, it stuck to memory and I didn't need to look to copy anymore! Very much the look, cover, and check method :)

Don't do what is popular. Do what is best for you <3

To identify how you learn best, you may benefit from this VARK (visual, aural, read/write, kinesthetic) Questionnaire https://vark-learn.com/the-vark-questionnaire/ :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    In all honesty, you bring me to the philosophy of education @zaynab_5 :)

For some people, it comes down to marketisation of education.

I think active learning methods are encouraged more frequently because they are associated with needing to purchase (often expensive) equipment and programmes.

However, 'better learning' and memorisation are due to doing what works for you and could be much cheaper too! <3
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @zaynab_5 You're more than welcome, I have full belief in you!!

That's so great, it seems like you're doing everything right! I always found writing things out was more beneficial as well!
  • Options
    Looks like you are largely already doing what works for you then @zaynab_5 :)

It mainly says to keep reading and writing notes out as I did. I wrote my notes out hundreds of times which may seem tedious to some but it worked for me! :)

Did you know you can access some free books by searching for free PDF on Google?

Some free books are also available on Amazon and Google Scholar. You can also get a free 14 day trial of Perlego which is unlimited access to books if this is helpful!

It also says that multiple-choice questions could be helpful for you! If you are interested in exploring this further, you can find some more information at https://vark-learn.com/strategies/readwrite-strategies/

I hope this helps <3
  • Options
  • Options
    You are welcome @zaynab_5 :)

Just glad we could support you to feel more confident with your revision! <3
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey, I agree with what the others have said above, thereā€™s so many different ways of revising you just have to find which one is best for you. I can get distracted really easily, so I do a method, where you work for 25 mins then take a 5 min break, once youā€™ve done that cycle three times you take a 15 min break. As well as this I normally end up taking a longer break for lunch and then again around 3/4 ish. Itā€™s called the pomodoro method, I find it helpful. Iā€™ve put a picture of the method in the spoiler
    1k29nfiu2y4a.jpeg

The steps you take donā€™t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.Ā 
  • Options
  • Options
    Yess! Thanks @Dandelion I really support that method too :3

There are lots of free apps to help you with the timings and you can find these on the app stores :3
  • Options
    Charlotte47Charlotte47 Deactivated Posts: 46 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Zay I just wanted to add there are some great tips here. I absolutely love a mind map, I use different colours to remember different sections as a visual learner that sometimes help me. Wishing you lots of luck and hope you get a chance to rest too. Take care.
  • Options
    Oh yes, all the colour pens and highlighters @Zay !! :p

Thanks for the reminder @Charlotte47 :3
  • Options
    oliviac4oliviac4 Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
    I agree with everyone that different methods are best for different people - for me, I found mindmaps were the best! If you wanted to try out some new methods I found quizlet quite helpful when revising! There's options to just use flashcards, turn it into games, writing it out and using sound etc. This helped me stayed focussed during my exams by switching it up a little bit!

Good luck for your mocks I'm sure you'll do great! :)
  • Options
    Thanks for your tips too @oliviac4 :3

I am sure @Zay will appreciate these! :p
  • Options
  • Options
    How is your revision going for you at the moment @Zay? :3
  • Options
  • Options
    That sounds like such a more positive experience with revision @Zay :3

I am really glad to hear revision is going well for you! :3
  • Options
    maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    Effective methods can be active recall, spaced repetition, flashcards, making information booklets, blurting, mind maps, using the Pomodoro technique, exam questions ALWAYS. I use a variety of these and some work better with certain subjects than others. For sciences, Seneca is good for quick recall and for the humanities and English, Massolit is really really good. Freesciencelessons on youtube is a go-to. Physics and Maths tutor is also helpful, Dr Frost Maths online, Savemyexams online (for maths), BBC Bitesize for quick recall or catching up, the CGP exam practice books for most subjects are worth it.
  • Options
    Lots of amazing help! Thanks @maryam852 :3

I am sure @Zay will appreciate your words of wisdom! <3
  • Options
  • Options
    Lots of useful resources @Zay :3

Thanks all! You have all been really insightful :3
  • Options
    La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
    These suggestions are all really awesome!
    Another technique that I recommend is doing mock tests, but instead of doing the full test; just writing notes on how you'd answer the question can help greatly with remembering content for the final exam. I also try to link my notes to things that I enjoy like hobbies, current affairs etc so that I can remember things more easily.

e.g. talking about social media in exam, so i'd link it to the kardashians
    or linking philosophical perspectives to anime character's moral thoughts

This saved my bacon in a levels!!

Good luck with your exams!!
    ~ Dreamer ~