Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Neighbours

WillowWillow Posts: 59 Boards Initiate
I moved into my first flat back in March. Since then I have had nothing but the worse kinds of neighbours. 2 around me have been evicted for anti social behaviour. The ground floor neighbours belows me blares out music! And my new neighbours above me in the attic are a nightmare, I can hear everything going on in that flat so much so I know when there using the bathroom.

It's annoyed me as I live on the top floor (well I thought I did) and I even said when I was looking I wanted a top floor flat, cause I didn't want people living above me. Turns out one of the doors on my level have stairs to a flat above me.

I have reported as much noise as I can to the landlord each time without being a total nusicince to her but I am getting sick and tired that I haven't slept properly since March. I am sick of hearing everything that goes on in the flat above me who I believe uses the washing machine everyday for 14 hours and it vibrates my entire flat, they stomp around and blare there TV out. And no matter what I do or say to the landlord it continues on anyway.

I know the solution would be to move however I don't earn enough to get set up costs to put a deposit down for a flat and I hate my job so been looking elsewhere but my industry jobs are far from few so don't want to be stuck in a new flat for 6 months when my new job could be somewhere else.

This year taken a massive toll on my mental health and I am just tired of living like this, I just want peace and quiet! Not sure what I did to deserve this but just so sick of it.

Comments

• Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @Willow I'm really sorry that your neighbours aren't being respectful towards you, I have similar issues in the block of flats I'm in. It's really infuriating and frustrating. It's also very frustrating to read that you specifically asked for a top floor flat and wasn't given one!

Do you know whether the landlord has addressed these concerns with your neighbours? or do you think it's going unnoticed or being ignored? I am really sorry you're going through this, it's completely unfair on you!

It's understandable that moving isn't a good option for you. I think unfortunately you're doing the best you can, and I really empathise with you right now. I would just suggest to keep letting your landlord know, or if you feel it's an option, you could maybe approach your neighbours yourself? Although I understand this isn't always an option, and don't do anything that will cause extra distress to you during this time.

I think you've done incredibly well to put up with this during these difficult times. I understand having consistent noise from neighbours can really impact your mental health. I would perhaps let your landlord know that this is becoming detrimental to your mental health. I hope you're okay.

Sending you lots of love <3
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    I'm pretty sure that Citizens Advice have an article on this, though I'm not sure if I can post links here. But if you look up the article, 'Complaining about your Neighbour', it'll come up. Hope that helps!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the support and ideas. I am making do at the moment until I can sell enough stuff to put down a deposit on a flat and one month's rent.

As for reporting the neighbours the council don't consider "domestic" noise as a nusicince even if they are blaring there TV out at stupid hours. I did mention to my landlord as I am not convinced my ceiling, there floor is properly insulated as they live in the "attic" but she says it is. I am awaiting to here back from the landlord about the noise but not heard anything after a week so will follow up soon.
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Willow

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing such a tough time :/

It sounds really frustrating but I am really glad to hear you have found us to be supportive <3

I hope you can get the deposit and rent you need soon but for now keep your head down with that goal in mind :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Hey Everyone.

Wanted to update and get some advice. So since my last post I have only really been at my flat on days which I be working in the office (I work 2 days in office and 3 days from home). The rest of the time I been staying at my partners who lives 1 1/2 hours away from where I live and work. However his brother who lives with him but is unemployed is making the environment a little hostile. I can never work in peace as he has so much free time he invites people over and never gives me any warning and then there very loud. While this has been addressed to him, he isn't bothered. I currently contribute more to my partner flat than his brother and I don't live there.

I recently got a new job, one which pays slightly more and is more convenient for me. I start in 2 weeks and I am looking to move again as I can't stand my neighbours anymore. I want a place I'm between my new job and my partner place so that I am only half an hour away from each. But I am put off by the idea of living in a flat again cause of my neighbours. Ideally I want to rent a semi detached or detached home however as you can imagine the rent on these places are too high for me.

My new job I be in the office 5 days a week and then I be seeing my partner on the weekend. Realistically I will only be in the flat in the evenings 4 days a week. I am trying to keep costs down but I will happily pay a good amount of rent if I can have a pet for company and peace and quiet. But these places are hard to come by for the cost I want.

Should I let my experience with my neighbours put me off living in another flat and aim for a terraced or semi detached home? Or keep costs down and just endure the 4 evenings which I be living in the flat? I got noise cancelling headphones, earplugs etc which has helped tremendously but do hurt my ears after wearing them for several hours and during the night.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Hey @Willow
    Thanks so much for reaching out and letting us know how your situation is at the moment. It sounds really frustrating to be contributing to your partners flat and not being given the courtesy or respect from his brother, particularly when you're trying to work. It's completely understandable to be anxious about moving into another flat after what you've been through with your current neighbours. I think it may be helpful to maybe speak to the estate agents of the flats and ask about noise complaints or issues with tenants and noise, so that you're aware of where you can avoid. It sounds like a really overwhelming and worrying situation for you, and you deserve to feel comfortable and happy where you live.

In terms of houses or flats, it's completely up to you, and your finances. I know that it can be difficult with rent of houses at the moment, so whatever you feel is best for your mental health and your financial stability.

Sending you lots of love, and I hope this has been helpful! <3
  • Options
    hi @Brookee

Thanks for the support and advice. I have been complaining for the past year to the estate agents and landlord about the noise and all the do is send a letter to the tenant (even if it is there like 20th noise complaint letter) and as you can imagine that doesn't do anything. I gone to the council in order to further complain however my council are not the best sadly. I am just getting fed up and tired of living here. It is like I am completely invisible from the world.

I guess your right. I think I decided to just rent somewhere cheap as I can't seem to justify living in a more expensive place. I am going to try and sell as much as I can and declutter to the absolute bare minimal as I won't have space to store everything.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Hey @Willow

That sounds really frustrating, you deserve some relief from this! I'm so sorry that your estate agents is so unhelpful with this. I hear you, it sounds really overwhelming to cope with this constantly. It's perfectly understandable to rent somewhere affordable, particularly with everything going on. If you feel it would be helpful, you could always when looking around new flats or houses, you could ask the estate agents who is showing you around about whether there's any problems with noise or anything else with neighbours. It's okay to still rent somewhere affordable, because you deserve to feel safe and comfortable wherever you're living.