Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Little introduction

EllipseEllipse Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
Hey there, I'm new here and honestly not totally sure what to say about myself, but hey, that's part of the process :) I'm currently taking my A-Levels and aspire to study Psychology in University, to eventaully pursue a career in the field. Life has been quite stressful so far, I don't remember working this hard in my life, even for GCSEs. I hope to use these boards to both give and receive support for anyone struggling, be it with work, relationships, or mental health. I also hope to get better at supporting others and social interaction. I'll be popping in throughout the week in an attempt to stay active haha. That's all from me, see you around :)
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Comments

• BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @ellipse Hello!

Welcome to the community, it's such a pleasure to meet you! That's so exciting, I hope you're enjoying your A-Levels.

A-levels can be very stressful but try to be gentle with yourself during this time, you're doing the best you can and that's more than enough!

We're always here for you, don't hesitate to reach out if you ever need anything! Looking forward to seeing you around here!

Sending you love <3
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hello @Ellipse

Thanks for your post. Welcome to The Mix's community. It is great to see you have joined us. I am sure you will indeed receive and give support here. I think we are a supportive and friendly community and I hope you will find the same.

Would you like to expand on how you are finding your A-levels? Ironically, I have come to The Mix community tonight in an attempt to avoid my university stress!

I will look forward to hearing from you again soon :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EllipseEllipse Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
    Thanks everyone for being so welcoming!

@Laura_tigger82 While I am really enjoying my A-Levels, I am putting a lot of weight on them, so am working really hard early on to stand out. Neither my parents nor my teachers are pressuring me at all, in fact I think I've surprised them with what I've done so far since I was not as conscientious before (although I still worked hard). They've all warned me not to burn myself out, but in a way I guess I'm not really listening, even though they're right. So all in all, I'm making far more work for myself than they are, because I really want to enjoy what I'm learning, which I am. University does sound extremely stressful! It's a huge step into adult life I think, I don't think I'm quite ready for it yet. Is there anything you'd like to talk about it that's making you stressed?
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Ellipse

Sorry for the delay in responding to you. I wasn't online last week as university was pressing with deadlines (ironically). As you rightly said, university can be stressful. However, just like your A-levels, the stress comes and goes in waves. When it is learning new content, it can be interesting but near deadlines/exam seasons, the stress can come on. I think in times of stress it is important to remember your 'why'. For me, my why is that I want to help other people! I probably should add at this point that my degree is in education with a focus on special educational needs and disabilities.

Would you like to discuss in some more depth what is worrying you about the sound of university? At this point, whilst I do not have all of the answers, I am in the second half of the last year of my MA course so I have been in university for 5 years and I may have some tips!

I completely understand the pressure of wanting to stand out. I think it often comes from seeing ourselves as not good enough or as worthy compared to other people. This often means that we focus on grades as we are often taught that results are how we can be measured and compared. However, honestly, as you said, people are right. Your health (physical & mental) always comes first. Grades are not the only way you can stand out. You can also stand out through your personality and your interests. How is work-life balance for you at the moment?

Enjoying what you are learning is really important. Are there any topics, in particular, you enjoy learning about? :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.