Home Work & Volunteering
We've started our first discussion for our Christmas campaign which is focusing on religion or cultural beliefs that help you when you're feeling down. Some of the responses will be used anonymously on social media as a video. If you'd like to take part, head over to this thread.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I got a job offer, yet i dont feel excited at all

La_LaLa_La PLANET MARSPosts: 94 Budding Regular
Hello! Firstly, I'd like to thank you all for your support regarding the burnout I faced whilst searching for a job. Finally, I got an offer for an apprenticeship. However, there is an issue. A
Although the job has good benefits such as training, and giving me a good space to develop various soft skills such as communication, support, teaching and behavior management; I just don't feel excited about the job role at all. As I have many documents to do, I'm shoving those to the side for today so then I can work out my thoughts on the matter. It's not like I'd hate to do the job it's just that I am so used to having a terrible time when doing new things and the fear of the unknown is definitely eating me alive. And although this job is a great first step to the future, it's definitely millions of miles away from my dreams (which i cant afford training for just yet).

May I ask what kinds of skills are good to use when starting a new job, so then I can give myself a nice mental boost? I think I need a bit of help with positive thinking.
~ Dreamer ~
Tagged:
Brookeelovemimoon

Comments

• BrookeeBrookee Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Hi @La_La

First of all, congrats on getting an apprenticeship, that's a huge step and you're doing amazing. Secondly, it's okay that you're not enthusiastic about it right now, it seems like you've had some bad experiences with beginning new things, so it's only natural that you'd be anxious and worried that this apprenticeship may end the same way. It can be really hard to navigate new environments, particularly when you prefer having routines or familiar situations, however, it's important that you are aware of how great you're doing! You are trying your best and that's all anyone can ask for.

Take as much time as you need to figure this out. It's common for our brains to go into overdrive when starting something new and unfamiliar, but this apprenticeship could be really beneficial for you. It really depends on whether you think there's more pros or cons to taking part in this apprenticeship. Your mental health and feelings are more important at the end of the day.

I think as long as you're open minded to the work you have to take part in and are willing to communicate with other people, you should be okay. All other skills can be developed within the apprenticeship, so try not to worry too much about that.

Sending you lots of love <3
    La_Lalovemimoon
  • La_LaLa_La PLANET MARSPosts: 94 Budding Regular
    @Brookee
    Thank you. Your words really mean a lot, it's so helpful to read this because sometimes I don't really have the clarity to sort through jumbled thoughts that I get in situations such as this, and your response clarified things so well.

Honestly, thanks again. This was really helpful. :3
    ~ Dreamer ~
    Brookee
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon 🦋 Posts: 2,258 Boards Champion
    Heya @La_La

Firstly, congratulations!
    200.gif
    celebration-will-smith.gif

@Brookee pretty much nailed it! <3

When it comes to approaching a new work environment, it can be very intimidating, and your reaction's completely understandable! :3

Take your time to figure things out. Remember that you're navigating and adjusting to this new environment so mistakes will happen. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification if you're unsure about something. :3
    Breathing exercises help as well! There have been moments where I felt really overwhelmed by the work environment so I would sneak to the bathroom and do breathing exercises until I'm ready to go.

Good luck with everythiiiing! <3
    BrookeeLa_La
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    @La_La Of course! Whatever I can do to help, I understand it can be a very overwhelming time so It's completely okay that things were a little hard to unjumble. We're always here for you, sometimes it's just easier to have someone outside of the situation to weigh in.

You're really doing incredible, I'm super proud of you!!
    La_La
  • AzzimanAzziman The Mix convert Posts: 1,162 Wise Owl
    La_La wrote: »
    Hello! Firstly, I'd like to thank you all for your support regarding the burnout I faced whilst searching for a job. Finally, I got an offer for an apprenticeship. However, there is an issue. A
    Although the job has good benefits such as training, and giving me a good space to develop various soft skills such as communication, support, teaching and behavior management; I just don't feel excited about the job role at all. As I have many documents to do, I'm shoving those to the side for today so then I can work out my thoughts on the matter. It's not like I'd hate to do the job it's just that I am so used to having a terrible time when doing new things and the fear of the unknown is definitely eating me alive. And although this job is a great first step to the future, it's definitely millions of miles away from my dreams (which i cant afford training for just yet).

May I ask what kinds of skills are good to use when starting a new job, so then I can give myself a nice mental boost? I think I need a bit of help with positive thinking.

First of all, huge congratulations! It's a big achievement to secure a role, especially at the moment, so you've more than earned your spot. I definitely feel you on the the fear of the unknown, and in any new role, it'll be quite a bit of getting up to speed and finding your feet. As you're new to the role, you might feel impostor syndrome, or feel like you don't know enough. And your employer will completely understand - after all, it's a new routine, a new team, a new set of skills to pick up. So take your time to familiarise yourself and find your way around things. You'll pick things up slowly but surely. But funnily enough, that's exactly what I find is the most valuable skill to have when starting a new job - the thirst for knowledge. Spend time understanding your role, your team, your industry. Ask questions on things you don't get, or want to learn. Show that hunger to learn, and it'll serve you really well.

Some skills that'll help with this are: communication (ask your team members for help or understanding); proactivity (if you find yourself light on work, approach your colleagues to see where you can help); organisation (find a way to make notes that works for you).

I'm sure that you'll do great in your new role. But of course, you can PM me if you have any questions, as I can understand it can all feel quite new! x
    lovemimoonLa_La
    @Azziman Thank you!! This is a wonderful reply, I really appreciate the information. I see, so the key is a willingness to learn and grow. This is great information.
    Yes it really does feel brand new, I feel a bit out of my depth with work XD
    ~ Dreamer ~
    @lovemimoon Thank you :3 This is really solid advice. Yes, breathing exercises are an awesome recommendation ^^ I really appreciate it.
    Thanks, I will make sure to ask for clarification when confused. I agree, its definitely necessary!
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • AislingDMAislingDM Posts: 516 Moderator
    As has been said, absolutely huge congratulations for getting the job!! I know you're not feeling super duper keen about it right now, which is more than cool, because honestly the fear and anxiety can truly put a dampener on things. Plus, I reckon there's a lot of social pressure to feel overjoyed as soon as we're offered anything, particularly after experiencing burnout during the search, but I don't think you necessarily have to feel like the heavens have come to earth, as it really is okay to just feel neutral or like a baby amount of happy about this. And, either way, we're certainly proud of you.

People have already given such great suggestions, the only thing I wanted to add was that I have found jobs to be easier when I ask fellow coworkers and managers questions along these lines: "Is there anything I can do to make today go more smoothly? is there anything you'd like my support with?" As doing that reinforces to others your compassionate nature and instinctively makes them want to reciprocate with kindness themselves! Huge good luck to you <3
    La_La
    @AislingDM That is awesome advice, thank you! :3 Yes, you're right; dealing with the emotions against the expectation to be overjoyed can be pretty tough.
    Thanks again ^^
    ~ Dreamer ~