Home› Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is there a right time to ask for support?

Tigger2001Tigger2001 Posts: 15 Settling in
Short answer is no.

In life there is no right time or wrong time to have a discussion about you - you matter more than anything else.

Sure it might not fit with everyone else and their lives. Yeah, it might cause some inconvenience to begin with, people are people - we may not always react rationally to begin with.

But if they care about you, any time is THE time to say "I am struggling". Trust me, they would much rather hear those words and be able to help you then never hearing them at all. They will always want to help you, but they might not know you need it.

And you, you deserve to put yourself first and as soon as you feel that sinking feeling with those bad thoughts, say something. There is no better time than the present, it's the unpoend gift of opportunity.

I have been one of those people who put myself on hold for years in order to avoid burdening someone else, and then I realised I am just adding weight to my own shoulders when I don't have to. So I told them "I'm struggling" and now I can stand up straight, the world feels a little brighter and it feels good to know if I ever feel like that again, I know my back doesn't have to hurt so much next time because they will be there to support me through the good and bad.

I've just started counselling and prolonging it was only making things worse for me. I didn't have to do it alone, and neither do you.

Feel free to give me a shout as I am more than happy to have a chat about your experiences and would love to hear what things work for you when you find yourself in a slump. 😊

Comments

• Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    Thank you for sharing this with us!

It's always easy to feel like we have to hide our struggles to avoid burdening others. But you are right, all it really does is cause unnecessary suffering. It can be really good to reach out to others and even better when they are supportive and have your back!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @Tigger2001 This is such a wonderful thing to post, thanks so much!

It's true that there never really is a right time to seek support, but anytime is the right time. Whenever you feel ready. Unfortunately, a lot of us don't seek support until we're in the hardest and darkest places, because there is so much discrimination within the world towards mental illnesses. You're so right, It's so important to reach out as soon as you feel able to. People really do care and really want to help you, it can be so difficult when you feel like letting someone know you're not doing well will negatively effect them, but it's most likely to negatively impact you more than them at the end of the day.

Well done for reaching out and letting people know what you're going through, It can be such a difficult step but it's so commendable and brave of you to do it for yourself. Thank you so much for sharing with us, you're incredible!
  • Options
    lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    This is so important @Tigger2001
    Thank you so much for sharing this with us! <3

Sometimes our options feels very limited but it's important to remember that you can reach out for help and support 24/7! <3