Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

3 quick and easy exercises to give you some headspace

Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
Sometimes when things are feeling really intense, having a few simple things to focus your mind can be a great way of calming things down. I thought it could be helpful for someone out there to throw a few ideas of things you can do when feeling stressed. Do feel free to add your own to the thread or tell us how you found these. Also important to note that these may not work for you, and that is okay, we are all different and life isn't a one-sized-fits-all approach :3

Memory game
This is a quick one, open the spoiler to view a picture, spend a few minutes trying to memorise as many things from the picture as possible. Perhaps set yourself a timer and try just to focus on what you can see. After the time is up, close the spoiler and try writing down or saying out loud as many pictures that you can remember. If you want to mix it up a bit, set yourself a pattern or order to try and remember e.g. in rows, or going from top to bottom like a snake.
acvia12plhm4.png

5.4.3.2.1. exercise

This is a game that focuses on your 5 senses (Taste, sight, hearing, touch, smell - you can modify these if you are blind or deaf). Working down from 5, focus on your surroundings and identify 5 things that you can see, then 4 things you can hear etc. I would recommend taste being your 1 thing as likely not many options depending on where you are :lol:

Category game
Think of a category that has lots of options for example names of albums if you are in to music. The more generic the better. Then have a go at listing as many things that fit into that category. It may be helpful to try and write these down with a pen or paper to aid your focus on the task.

As an extension of this, you could try and think of things that happen in some kind of order, for example I am quite into my sport, and so I will focus on who won grand slams in tennis each year going backwards and think about how far back I can go.

Let us know if you try any of these and whether they helped you take your mind of things or not. Remember, none of this is about perfection, so there is no stress in getting it "right". It is purely about allowing your brain to breathe <3
FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Ed_

Thanks for sharing these ideas. I think it could help lots of us :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Love how quick and accessible these are! Thanks so much for sharing :heart:
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Love it @Ed_ !! I'm certainly going to be trying these for myself and for friends in the next moments of distress. Sometimes these 'quick' and less 'direct' activities of distractions are defo what we need <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Glad they have been helpful :3 Here is another one, it may take a bit longer to create, but also could be quite a good thing to distract yourself in making these.

Little Envelopes

Start by writing down some of the following on pieces of paper:
    • positive quotes or things that have meaning to you.
    • positive affirmations
    • things about yourself that you feel proud of or things that people you trust have told you you should feel proud of.
    • names and contact details of support services or people that you trust who you would want to reach out to when you are struggling and write down 'call x person or helpline'.

Get creative in decorating or doodling on these as well. Make sure you have enough space to cut each of these statements out.

You can pick up some little envelopes from most stationary shops (they are often called payslip or wage envelopes)

Put one of your quotes in each envelope and seal them. On the front, write things like:
    • Open me when I need to feel proud
    • Open me when I need to feel brave
    • Open me when I don't feel strong
    • Open me when I need help

Then make sure that you put these in a place where you know where they are and they are easy to get to. When you are having a bad day, you then have some small things that may put a smile on your face or give you the courage to do what you need to do to get support. This could also be a really lovely and cheap present idea to make for a friend <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• Options
    graciepetersgraciepeters Posts: 4 Newbie
    love these 😀
  • Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @Ed_ These are so helpful, thank you so much for this thread and for sharing these <3
  • Options
    Ah, glad they are helpful @Brookee and @graciepeters - will have a think about some more ones to add, but do feel free to share anything you find helpful :3