Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I'm so short :(

Past UserPast User Recovering🥀LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Options
    Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
  • Options
    IsabelleIsabelle Posts: 46 Boards Initiate
    Hi @zaynab_5

I understand how you feel about your height and how it affects your mental health, self-esteem, etc. You've done a great job sharing out your feelings on here, well done. We are all here to support you on the Mix community! I hope that you share your feelings out with your parents/ friends/ siblings or anyone that you're close to as it's important to nurture open communication and authenticity between you and the people around you. It also can help you feel better about yourself and the situation. It helps you release the emotions you have pent up inside.

Your genes are the major determinant of how tall you'll be. Scientists estimate that about 80 percent of an individual’s height is determined by the DNA sequence variants they have inherited. The other 20 percent of an individual's height is determined by environmental factors such as nutrition. Your height can be predicted based on how tall your parents are. Your own height is said to end up somewhere based on the average heights between your two parents.

However, you should not give up! Nutrition plays a very important role in growth. There are several foods that help with increasing height:
    1. Beans (this is a very good source of protein)
    2. Chicken (it is high in vitamin B12, a water-soluble vitamin that’s crucial when it comes to growing taller)
    3. Almonds (they’re high in fiber, manganese, and magnesium)
    4. Yoghurt (it has probiotics and research shows that probiotics can help increase growth)
    5. Potatoes (they're rich in vitamin A, which can improve bone health and help you grow taller)
    6. Eggs (they contain a wealth of vitamins and minerals necessary for growth, including vitamin D)
    7. Berries (such as blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries, are all brimming with important nutrients)
    8. Milk (cow’s milk can stimulate increased growth)

You can also try exercises. This is one of the best ways to increase height. There are exercises you can try:
    1. Jumping exercises (It supports the conditioning of the muscles and joints of the lower body and improves the height of the body)
    2. Downward pose (it helps in strengthening the entire back and elongates your back muscles)
    3. Side planks (it gives a good stretch to your legs making them slimmer and grow taller)
    4. Hanging (Hanging your body with the support of your hands does help you stretch out your muscles)
    5. Single leg hopping (it plays a huge role in strengthening your abdominal muscles)
    6. Side stretch (it will make the muscles grow and make them elongated as well)
    7. Toe lifts (It is one of the best height increasing practices and gives better results than most other exercises)
    8. Skipping (The more you skip the more likely you will succeed in making your legs longer)

Sleep is also very important for you to maintain your height. Growth hormone is normally released during sleep. If someone consistently gets too little sleep (known as "sleep deprivation"), growth hormone is suppressed. Lack of sleep also can affect other hormones. You should at least get eight to nine hours of sleep to keep a nutritious and healthy lifestyle.

I hope I was of much help! :3<3
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 111 The Mix Convert
    Hey @zaynab_5

I understand your concerns, and I understand how this affects your social status and self-esteem, but height is not everything. We all should embrace our differences and make them our most significant strong points.

A big hug,
    Cosmo
  • Options
    Lauren223Lauren223 Posts: 71 Budding Regular
    Hey @zaynab_5

I can really hear your worries about being shorter than those around you, it's a really common experience for many people. I'm quite short too - I'm only 4ft 7inches. I stopped growing around the age of 14, so every year on picture day at school I would cry because of how short I was compared to everyone around me! Sometimes I get this worry at work or when I'm out and about.

I can't guarantee you that you'll grow more, but I can assure you that people will and do love you regardless of your height. Your height is just one aspect of you and if anyone ever makes you feel bad for something you cannot control, remember you don't need to have them in your life.

If you are hoping to add a bit of height to ease some of those anxieties, heels are a go to - things like Chelsea boots have sensible heels that add an inch or two without the risk of you falling over.

Hope this was helpful 💛
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Everyone has said such lovely things and given some wonderful advice, so don't want to add too much, other than, thank you so much for sharing your emotions about this with us, your point about how shortness can make us feel small inside too was really important to hear and understand, so thank you. I know this is never an easy thing to think about, especially when it's something you care so much about, I can hear how badly you want to grow just a few inches! Another thing that I have founds helps to ease my sense of insecurity (I'm 5ft1-2ish) is to find which items of clothing work for you and make you feel as though your height is as least accentuated as possible, like since finding flared trousers from H&M that fit my height well, I feel like I am able to wear lots of different clothes that I would never have been comfortable in before! xxx Big hugs babe <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    love that for you!!! Sometimes we can feel more comfy with the things we're insecure of if we feel really beautiful about other parts too. Like 'who cares about my height, look how pretty my eyes look with this makeup!' sort of vibe xx Eventually from there we can often start to see that the things we were insecure of were actually 'not that big of a deal' or actually nothing to be even remotely ashamed of at all!!
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
  • Options
    10000% you're actually so right, and sometimes that's even such a great way to look at it, like I see all these cool trends nowadays on TikTok, where people say 'of course I love X part about myself because I also love it on this super cool celeb'. Fingers crossed we can get to a point within ourselves where we feel good just because we are us without social comparisons, but life is rarely so simple, and anything that makes you feel confident certainly feels like a win to me <3

https://tiktok.com/@fruitylefty/video/6974427267531328774?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1&q=roundface%20celebrities&t=1636481009177
  • Options
    charlieboyzcharlieboyz Posts: 178 Helping Hand
    @zaynab_5 , I'm so sorry you feel this way. Can I just explain something to you? Growing is different for everyone. Some girls stop growing at 15, think that's me, others stop growing at 21 (my cousin) and you shouldn't feel upset. Being small's okay. And if anyone is mean to you for that that's their problem. Just because you're small doesn't mean you're different. It doesn't affect your personality so it shouldn't matter.
  • Options
    charlieboyzcharlieboyz Posts: 178 Helping Hand
    Hey anyone online?