Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hard for me to find what to talk about in relationships advice?

Hi guys
So everytime I’m in a relationship I find it hard to find what to talk about I’m not in one currently but I want to know any advice? ❤️In general with people/friends too x

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @_Tech_Addict_Girl,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I often find common interests a good place to start. Does this help? :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    @Laura_tigger82 I try but it’s hard🥺
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    edited October 2021
    Hi @_Tech_Addict_Girl

Questions are always a good way of having conversations. You can start with a simple "how was your day?" or "What did you get up to today?" and then ask questions based on their answer. If you can relate to anything they say then you can chip in with that too :blush: For example:

You: "How was your day?"
    Them: "It was good! I went to Starbucks today"
    You: "Nice, I love starbucks! What did you get?"
    Them: "I got a hot chocolate. What's your favourite from Starbucks?"
    You: "Mmm, good choice. I like to get iced coffee".

If you've done anything fun or interesting, you can bring that up too. Perhaps you went to a new place, watched a good movie or TV show, tried some good food. Things like that. Whatever you would like to say is very valuable :blush:

Also, I often find the very best relationships are the ones where conversations flow more naturally than they do with other people. Perhaps you'll meet somebody like that :blush::heart:
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Totally agree with what has already been said, especially in terms of the questions and focusing on shared hobbies/interests. I also always find conversations with newer people tend to flow really nicely when they or I am retelling the plot of a TV show or film or book or something that they mightn't have seen. Doing this allows you to break the ice more slowly by revealing your emotions and opinions subtly through a distant topic. It also works especially well if it's a genre you both like because the conversation can become quite animated if you're both sincerely interested in the choices directors, authors and actors made. I also figure small-talk is something that can easily stifle people from making closer relationships with others, as we sometimes feel we need to spend a set period of time asking simple questions, which can sometimes be fun. However, it's also more than fine to jump in with 'bigger' or more 'random' questions, depending upon who the person is and how comfortable you feel. I hope this helps in some way =) xx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    Hi @_Tech_Addict_Girl , watching a TV show is a great way to have a conversation with a partner, it gives you a shared topic to talk about and is a good way to spend time together. It can be a new show, or one that you've already watched. It just lets you ask lots of question and get to know each other better, like what kind of TV you like to watch, whether you like the TV show, and why you do or don't like it. It can also lead onto other topics too like other activities you like to do.
  • jujux123jujux123 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Maybe start doing more activities together like ice skating, going to the cinema, getting food, shopping etc and then you will start seeing what the other person likes. This will help you see whether you guys have a lot in common by just doing normal day to day things. Hopefully this will help you a bit x
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.