Home Sex & Relationships
We've started our first discussion for our Christmas campaign which is focusing on religion or cultural beliefs that help you when you're feeling down. Some of the responses will be used anonymously on social media as a video. If you'd like to take part, head over to this thread.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hard for me to find what to talk about in relationships advice?

_Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Sparkle ✨ Posts: 1,207 Wise Owl
Hi guys
So everytime I’m in a relationship I find it hard to find what to talk about I’m not in one currently but I want to know any advice? ❤️In general with people/friends too x
lovemimoonAislingDMLa_La

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Posts: 190 Trailblazer
    Hi @_Tech_Addict_Girl,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I often find common interests a good place to start. Does this help? :)
    AislingDMLa_La
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Sparkle ✨ Posts: 1,207 Wise Owl
    @Laura_tigger82 I try but it’s hard🥺
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 999 Part of The Mix Family
    edited October 17
    Hi @_Tech_Addict_Girl

Questions are always a good way of having conversations. You can start with a simple "how was your day?" or "What did you get up to today?" and then ask questions based on their answer. If you can relate to anything they say then you can chip in with that too :blush: For example:

You: "How was your day?"
    Them: "It was good! I went to Starbucks today"
    You: "Nice, I love starbucks! What did you get?"
    Them: "I got a hot chocolate. What's your favourite from Starbucks?"
    You: "Mmm, good choice. I like to get iced coffee".

If you've done anything fun or interesting, you can bring that up too. Perhaps you went to a new place, watched a good movie or TV show, tried some good food. Things like that. Whatever you would like to say is very valuable :blush:

Also, I often find the very best relationships are the ones where conversations flow more naturally than they do with other people. Perhaps you'll meet somebody like that :blush::heart:
    _Tech_Addict_GirlAislingDM
  • AislingDMAislingDM Posts: 516 Moderator
    Totally agree with what has already been said, especially in terms of the questions and focusing on shared hobbies/interests. I also always find conversations with newer people tend to flow really nicely when they or I am retelling the plot of a TV show or film or book or something that they mightn't have seen. Doing this allows you to break the ice more slowly by revealing your emotions and opinions subtly through a distant topic. It also works especially well if it's a genre you both like because the conversation can become quite animated if you're both sincerely interested in the choices directors, authors and actors made. I also figure small-talk is something that can easily stifle people from making closer relationships with others, as we sometimes feel we need to spend a set period of time asking simple questions, which can sometimes be fun. However, it's also more than fine to jump in with 'bigger' or more 'random' questions, depending upon who the person is and how comfortable you feel. I hope this helps in some way =) xx
    _Tech_Addict_Girl
  • SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    Hi @_Tech_Addict_Girl , watching a TV show is a great way to have a conversation with a partner, it gives you a shared topic to talk about and is a good way to spend time together. It can be a new show, or one that you've already watched. It just lets you ask lots of question and get to know each other better, like what kind of TV you like to watch, whether you like the TV show, and why you do or don't like it. It can also lead onto other topics too like other activities you like to do.
    _Tech_Addict_GirlLa_La
  • jujux123jujux123 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Maybe start doing more activities together like ice skating, going to the cinema, getting food, shopping etc and then you will start seeing what the other person likes. This will help you see whether you guys have a lot in common by just doing normal day to day things. Hopefully this will help you a bit x
    _Tech_Addict_Girl
  • zaynab_5zaynab_5 Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 1,935 Extreme Poster
    Ahh I had this problem with my boyfriend. It's coz we told each other everything about ourselves too soon, so it's best to take it slow. In my opinion, ask him relevant questions that link to his personality/ life for example, 'what are your future goals?', 'do you spend enough time with your family/friends?', 'what are your intentions with me?'. 'what do you do everyday?' and so on.
    I eventually run out of things to talk about to my boyfriend, so I went to the extent to ask google :joy: and it really helped! You can even ask him what his biggest fear is, his dream place, favourite food, colour, music, etc.

https://icebreakerquestions.info/questions-to-ask-your-boyfriend/

This is the website I used to further get to know my boyfriend. Some of these questions are funny too, so you guys can also have a good laugh together! I hope this helps x
    _Tech_Addict_Girl