Home Drink & Drugs
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Anyone is welcome to join. Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What advice would you give to your younger self or a friend struggling with addiction?

AifeAife LondonPosts: 2,354 Community Manager
Hi everyone,

We're posting a second discussion as part of our drugs project and this discussion will focus on sharing where to get support if you're struggling with addiction.

What advice would you give to your younger self or a friend struggling with addiction?

If you'd like to get involved in our other topic about managing peer pressure, you can read the discussion and comment by following this link.
Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤

Comments

• independent_independent_ Resident Coffee Addict ScotlandPosts: 7,308 Master Poster
    edited October 8
    I think I’d advise that addiction is an illness, just like other mental illnesses, and addicts aren’t always “bad” people. Whether it’s drugs or alcohol or something else, an addiction is very hard to control and recovery isn’t easy. I’ve known people who struggle with addiction and it’s not always as easy as saying “just stop drinking” or such things. And it’s ok to need support for it.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Aife
  • AzzimanAzziman The Mix convert Posts: 1,120 Wise Owl
    I'd say to tell a friend who'll support you. One can feel very ashamed and embarrassed to have an addiction, and it can force you to isolate yourself and hide the struggle from those around you. Having someone to talk to can be a really important emotional support, and stop one from feeling lonely going through what is a really difficult experience x
    Aife
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 37 Boards Initiate
    The most important thing is to be available for this person and give them all the support they need.
    Addictions are a very intensive topic, but definitely giving support is the best thing you can do, in my opinion
    Aife
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Posts: 99 Budding Regular
    What amazing responses have already been provided! Such great words of wisdom. Also so uplifting to know we are in a community with such supportive and friendly people. Keep being you =) I think if I was in this situation, I would mainly provide a listening ear and one of my favourite quotes that "it will all be okay in the end, if it is not okay it is not the end" . I find the quote really comforting and reassuring in times of difficulty!
    Aife
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 958 Part of The Mix Family
    Such lovely replies to this! :heart:

I'd love to echo indepndent's note, that addiction is an illness. It does not make you a bad person, it does not define you, and it is separate from who *you* are.

To support a friend, I'd really emphasise that I am a safe person with no judgement. I'd let them know I am somebody they can talk to openly without feeling ashamed. I'd be nothing but proud of them for opening up and admitting they needed support. Such a huge and wonderful step towards their recovery :heart:
    Aife
  • AislingDMAislingDM Posts: 394 Moderator
    Love everyone's thoughts on this <3 And I think it really reflects how much society would benefit from changing horrible ideas of drug-dependent people to understand them to need support, not vilification! I also think a friend would benefit from a support network that actively acknowledges that addiction recovery is rarely a linear path, we usually do not 'stop doing' the addictive thing 'forever' there is usually a lot of wobbly time in the middle, and that is okay. I don't think it's fair to hold unrealistic and harsh expectations that addictive things can be 'quit' easily and quickly, so our support attempts need to reflect this too =)
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,224 Skive's The Limit
    Don't smoke.

That. Above everything else. I've done pretty much everydrug I could get my hands on and for the most part enjoyed every expreience, and never had problems with addiction. The one and only regret I have is smoking tobacco.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present