Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dealing with unwanted advances at work

lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
So I work at this agency that collaborates with restaurants. During the two months, I've encountered a couple of coworkers making unwanted advancements specifically towards my female coworkers and I from said agency.

As much as I laughed it off, I can't help but feel uncomfortable towards potential jobs I take.
I've already reported this to my agency and they're currently dealing with the situation.

It's one thing to deal with this sort of stuff on the streets but in a professional work environment?

Just no.

So how do you manage this?

Comments

• Options
    SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    Hi @lovemimoon, I am really pleased that you reported this to your work place and that they are taking it seriously. I hear too many stories of work places not doing much. I really hope it gets resolved. It could be good for you to say to your coworkers that what they say/do is making you uncomfortable, ofcourse only if you are comfortable doing that. Harassment is never okay, but people have different ideas of what harassment is and the your coworker may just be ignorant about how their behaviour is harassment. If you are not comfortable doing that, then it could be good to speak to your manager or talk to friends for support.
    I really hope that this get resolved and you don't experience any more harassment.
  • Options
    ApolloApollo Posts: 804 Part of The Mix Family
    Don't have any experience as eternally unemployed, but sorry you and your workmates had to go through this, I've had friends go through this and they've all just went to management for support, one of them took it to court too, I guess those are some ideas for what you could do
    🎵 I feel so funny these days, I'd rather sleep than stay awake 🎵
  • Options
    Thank you @SirArchibald (Awesome username by the way :joy: ) and @Apollo <3
  • Options
    RuhRuh Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    Have u spoken to ur co-workers? It might encourage them to come forward and report the behaviour, this would ensure they don’t treat it as an ‘isolated’ incident
  • Options
    Unfortunately, @Ruh I haven't.

But any co-worker I see at a restaurant, I encourage them to report it to the agency if something like this occurs.
  • Options
    liv_roseliv_rose Posts: 17 Settling in
    I think the step you made about telling your agency is amazing! I hope that leads to it being resolved as I am so sorry that you have ever had to experience this in the first place. Like everyone said talking your friends and people you trust about it helps. Even talking more in this discussion again. It sounds like you are handling it so well so far and I am giving out all the love and support I can! :)
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hey @lovemimoon,

Echoing above, I' m proud of you for reporting this to your agency and encouraging co-workers to do the same. This is a great thing to do and I really hope this leads to positive change. Nobody deserves to deal with this, nor feel uncomfortable at work :heart:

Have you had any updates from your agency with what they are going to do about this?
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    This sounds simply horrendous for you @lovemimoon ! No one should be made to feel uncomfortable and/or unsafe anywhere, but as you say, let alone a work environment. I hear what everyone is saying about talking to coworkers to 1) reinforce that their behaviour is harassment 2) talking to others to see if they'd feel comfortable coming forward. I know this can be immensely difficult though, as it requires you to put a lot of mental and emotional energy into these conversations. Taking a stand is hugely important, but this could never be your fault, no matter what. <3 One thing that I have found useful is trying to avoid my instinctive reaction of awkwardly laughing when I feel uncomfortable because it allows me to downplay my own feelings in my head. In terms of tangible things you can do, I am so pleased to hear how proactive and brave you were in reporting to the agency :) I wonder, how are you feeling atm? xx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    emilia_eemilia_e Posts: 16 Settling in
    unfortunately I have dealt with a similar incident that was unwarranted, I too informed the work place and I was not alone in doing so and a few weeks later the individual left. It does make you feel so uneasy and uncomfortable, the main priority is to put you safety first but it is frustrating because you shouldn't have to modify your behaviour at all because this is in no way your fault! I hope the agency takes this seriously, if not this may be a sign to look for more proactive and professional employers