Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I feel weird about having extensions

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I feel weird about having extensions. It seems like I still have to force myself to do the work before the original deadline even though I know I was granted it. I feel extremely anxious about it, like having something I shouldn't have and I shouldn't waste time on this type of feelings because they are not helpful. I cannot tolerate how I feel because it is ridiculous.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    edited September 2021
    Hi @Kate_20,

Please be reassured that universities do not provide extensions if they are not required. Therefore, the fact you have been granted extensions means that you need and deserve the extensions. However, it is not ridiculous that you feel this way and this feeling is particularly common if you feel extensions will give you an advantage over other students or that other students have it 'worse'. However, extensions are only provided because you already have a difficult situation which is causing you to be at a disadvantage. University staff want to make assessments fairer so you can achieve your full potential. Please take extensions if you want extensions and extensions are given to you. Good luck with your assessments. I will look forward to hearing how you get on! :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    Hi @Kate_20,

Please be reassured that universities do not provide extensions if they are not required. Therefore, the fact you have been granted extensions means that you need and deserve the extensions. However, it is not ridiculous that you feel this way and this feeling is particularly common if you feel extensions will give you an advantage over other students or that other students have it 'worse'. However, extensions are only provided because you already have a difficult situation which is causing you to be at a disadvantage. University staff want to make assessments fairer so you can achieve your full potential. Please take extensions if you want extensions and extensions are given to you. Good luck with your assessments. I will look forward to hearing how you get on! :)

@Laura_tigger82 Thanks. Now I have passed that stage. I still feel like a rubbish student though. I am trying to do the work.
  • SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    Hi @Kate_20 . I had the same thought when i would ask for extensions. But they are there for a reason and university staff don't judge people who ask for them or think less of them, they were all once students too and remember the stress of working to deadlines. Its not that you are a rubbish students, many students struggle to meet deadlines and many ask for extensions. You are being as good of a student that you can be, and you have done an amazing thing for yourself by asking for an extension.
    This is corny, but if you are doing the work, even slowly then you are being the best student you can be because you are getting work done
    Hi @Kate_20 . I had the same thought when i would ask for extensions. But they are there for a reason and university staff don't judge people who ask for them or think less of them, they were all once students too and remember the stress of working to deadlines. Its not that you are a rubbish students, many students struggle to meet deadlines and many ask for extensions. You are being as good of a student that you can be, and you have done an amazing thing for yourself by asking for an extension.
    This is corny, but if you are doing the work, even slowly then you are being the best student you can be because you are getting work done
    @SirArchibald Thanks. I will be working towards getting it done. I really hope I would have more energy for it.

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Extensions aren't easy to come by unless you've got a good reason, so clearly they think that you need it. And that's completely fine - it's not extra support, but simply an aide to put you closer to an equal footing to your peers. Think of it as a resource - you're entitled to use as much of it as you like/need x
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Azziman wrote: »
    Extensions aren't easy to come by unless you've got a good reason, so clearly they think that you need it. And that's completely fine - it's not extra support, but simply an aide to put you closer to an equal footing to your peers. Think of it as a resource - you're entitled to use as much of it as you like/need x
    @Azziman Thanks. It is weird. It feels like a sense of wasting my life.

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Kate_20,

I hear you. Though, you are not a rubbish student. The fact that you are still trying with everything that you have recently experienced highlights your determination in itself! Keep going, you are so near the end and can then hopefully enjoy a break before your next journey :)
  • FriendlyneighbourFriendlyneighbour Posts: 34 Boards Initiate
    Hi @Kate_20

I agree with the other posts about how universities don't give extensions out for no reason, you have been given one due to your personal circumstances. You're not a rubbish student and it sounds like you are really trying and putting the work in. Every little bit of progress is a step in the right direction and often the hardest part is getting started so you are already on the right path. Remember that you wouldn't have been given an extension if the lecturers didn't think you deserved one. It is very easy to feel guilty about having extra support but it is there for a reason.
    Hi @Kate_20

I agree with the other posts about how universities don't give extensions out for no reason, you have been given one due to your personal circumstances. You're not a rubbish student and it sounds like you are really trying and putting the work in. Every little bit of progress is a step in the right direction and often the hardest part is getting started so you are already on the right path. Remember that you wouldn't have been given an extension if the lecturers didn't think you deserved one. It is very easy to feel guilty about having extra support but it is there for a reason.

@Friendlyneighbour It is more about feeling guilty about not making effective use of the extra time I was granted. It is hard not to blame myself for not being productive.
    When you are stressed about studies, it is very easy to not be able to focus and then it triggers a cycle where you feel you need to work more to catch up but you can't and are getting more stressed due to getting further behind.

It sounds counter productive but sometimes the best thing to do in that situation is to take a timeout and say to yourself I'm going to take a day out and just enjoy myself. After a nice day out where you have had a chance to relax and clear your mind, you may find yourself more focused when you get back to studying.

Another tip I have come across in the past is something called the pomodoro technique. This is where you set a timer for 25 mins and say to yourself this is the only task I'm going to focus on for these 25 mins. You then take a short break before doing another lot of 25 mins. After 4 lots of this, you would have completed just under 2 hours work. I find personally when using this technique, I am more productive as it feels like you are racing against the clock and so you just want to get something down on paper. It may be something to try and see if it works for you?
    When you are stressed about studies, it is very easy to not be able to focus and then it triggers a cycle where you feel you need to work more to catch up but you can't and are getting more stressed due to getting further behind.

It sounds counter productive but sometimes the best thing to do in that situation is to take a timeout and say to yourself I'm going to take a day out and just enjoy myself. After a nice day out where you have had a chance to relax and clear your mind, you may find yourself more focused when you get back to studying.

Another tip I have come across in the past is something called the pomodoro technique. This is where you set a timer for 25 mins and say to yourself this is the only task I'm going to focus on for these 25 mins. You then take a short break before doing another lot of 25 mins. After 4 lots of this, you would have completed just under 2 hours work. I find personally when using this technique, I am more productive as it feels like you are racing against the clock and so you just want to get something down on paper. It may be something to try and see if it works for you?

@Friendlyneighbour Thanks for the advice about studying I would defo try. My problem is more complicated as I struggle with every aspect of my life. I would get easily frustrated about not feeding myself or not starting the day properly. Or that sometimes I just cannot make it to the kitchen or the supermarket. I was already frustrated before I even start studying. I am behind not only in terms of studying but also in terms of taking care of myself. I feel even more ashamed of that.
    Hey @Kate_20

I just wanted to check up and see how you're doing?
    In regards to struggling with other aspects of your life, the stress of studying definitely doesn't help and it sounds like you have already been proactive by talking to your uni and getting extensions. It is important to look after your mental health too, is this something you have spoken to your GP about?
    Hey @Kate_20

I just wanted to check up and see how you're doing?
    In regards to struggling with other aspects of your life, the stress of studying definitely doesn't help and it sounds like you have already been proactive by talking to your uni and getting extensions. It is important to look after your mental health too, is this something you have spoken to your GP about?

@Friendlyneighbour I have moved and have not yet successfully registered with a new GP but I would have a look at my options when I can. I do feel hopeless because I cannot take meds because of unbearable side effects and I am running out of time with the uni.