Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Helping others

Ayla1Ayla1 Posts: 10 Settling in
For a few years I've been responsible for assisting others that are at harm danger. I'll get sommened to go there or hear someone calling out for help. I'm not like the police or anything like that I don't put the person through trauma getting hands on. I'll sit with them on the edge because from personal experience too you often want to stay there for a bit too. Which has been a success with those I have assisted. However when I don't go it makes me uncomfortable and guilty. I've been summoned from the first time I assisted someone for a couple of years now to go back and she if she is there and how she's doing but I haven't been back my brain and body puts me through so much when I ignore going to assist someone I can't everytime evan though I will again tomorrow or in the near future I am designed to help and assist people. It's just hard that I can't be there everytime.

Comments

• Options
    amesames Posts: 20 Boards Initiate
    Hi @Ayla1

I definitely relate to what you're saying. It can hard be to allow yourself to take the occasional step back from your responsibilities, especially when you know they are of such importance to others, without feeling guilt.

I guess it's just worth remembering that while it's your duty to look out for others, you also owe care and kindness to yourself. Taking some time off for a break, whether it be to meet some of your other responsibilities, spend time with family and friends, or indulge in some of the things you enjoy, is an important part of looking after your own mental health.

Sending love and support :)<3

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Ayla1,

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear you are experiencing a difficult time. It sounds like you do a lot to help others in need of support. I understand it makes you feel uncomfortable and guilty to not attend when others are in need of support though. Please know that this is normal but it is ok (and in fact necessary!) to not always be the person to attend to the needs of others. Sometimes you need to attend to your own needs before you can support others in need. Make sure you do look after yourself too! What are some of the things that you enjoy doing or help you when you are in need? I personally find comfort in talking to others, colouring, listening to music and watching television.

If anyone has been affected by anything discussed here, please remember you can contact Samaritans and Papyrus. I have listed their contact details below which I hope helps.

Samaritans:

Call 116 123 (24/7)
    Email jo@samaritans.org

Papyrus:

Call 0800 068 41 41 (2pm - midnight)
    Text 07786 209 697
    Email pat@papyrus-uk.org
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.