Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Would you take a booster shot?

SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Hi everyone,
I am curious about how people feel about the government giving out booster jabs. I am mixed, it seems that the evidence about the need for boosters jabs is unclear. I think it is good that vulnerable people can get extra protection. But, I feel like the vaccines could be better used in countries that dont have enough vaccines to go round.
What do others think?
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I think I would if it was offered to me, especially if it would help the NHS for people to get them. Because the NHS is really struggling right now.

However I do agree that we should donate vaccines. I heard yesterday that we’re using mostly Pfizer as our booster, so perhaps they could donate AstraZeneca and any left overs of the others.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    I would take a booster, but I'm fully vaccinated with the astrazeneca which apparently does not need a booster as of now (feeling thankful). If in the future we do need one though I'd go for it
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I don't know why astrazeneca aren't doing a boost when it's on 63.09% effective
  • SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    @GreenTea i think we are not using astrazeneca anymore becasue of the potential risk of blood clots it had. I think if you had an astrazeneca jab you'd have a pfizer booster jab as astrazenca is no longer available.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Risk of blood clot of so low. You are more likely to get a blood clot from contraceptive pill.. I had both astrazeneca and don't feel comfortable having a different vaccine so no booster for me
  • SirArchibaldSirArchibald Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    @GreenTea I would agree with you, but the goverment decide it was too much for them, even tho the other vaccine have a simialr risk i think. That fair enough I think that you dont need a booster to keep immunity any
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Yeah this is a really interesting question that you ask, because it's so important that we try to protect ourselves and vulnerable people as much as possible, but equally there are people across the globe who should also have access to the vaccine. Really important topic to talk about <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • jorgejorge Posts: 11 Settling in
    For sure poorer countries could make use of these extra vaccines but they could also be used at home to reinforce the vulnerable population and people whose antibodies count have fallen below a certain level. A balance needs to be found as with all things.
    if you are being offered a booster shot and you are thinking about it definitely talk with your personal doctor and have an antibody test to see if you really need it.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    If it's offered to me, I'll be happy to take it. But I think the question of whether you should take the booster shot, and whether we should donate vaccines abroad, are two separate questions here. Once it's taken out of the storage and offered to us, it only lasts a few hours, so by then it's already been decided that it's not going abroad x
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • RuhRuh Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    If Uv had two already I guess no point avoiding a third one! :)
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Yeah such a good point @Azziman !! Like we should certainly be supporting other countries, but once any choice has been made to give vaccines and boosters to people in the UK, we have a time limit to make the most use of them =)
  • gia9720gia9720 Posts: 117 The Mix Convert
    @Ruh i agree with you. I've had 2 vaccines, as a healthy young individual who has previously caught it and survived id rather someone else have it who really needs it.
  • La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
    Personally because I suffered from temporary muscle deterioration from the second jab, I would personally decline a booster jab out of fear for my health and wellbeing.
    However, if my second jab didn't come with side effects like that I would've definitely done so.
    Sadly I lost trust in the vaccines after my second one. But if you are still doing okay after your first two, then I'd recommend it!
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    I am really sorry to hear that you have had these side effects @La_La :/

It sounds really difficult! Is your GP aware that you have had these side effects?

Just wondering if it could be because of the type of vaccine you had!

I hope you are relieved of these side effects as soon as possible <3
    @Laura_tigger82 That's okay.
    Yes, I alerted my GP and was recommended a helpful prescription that luckily made it better.
    I'm not sure, I had pfizer...i am not sure how they work
    Thank you, I am all better now ^^
    ~ Dreamer ~
    Hi @La_La

I am really glad you alerted your GP and they recommended a helpful prescription that made it better.

To be honest, it is really complex to understand and explain how they work. I attended a talk with a medical professional who explained how they work but I couldn't put it into my own words and there are definitely gaps in my memory.

I do know the different vaccines lead to different responses though and contain some different ingredients. I was wondering if it could be an allergic reaction! I know some people who had allergies had to have Oxford AstraZeneca.

Additionally, everyone responds differently to the different vaccines. When I had my second Pfizer, I felt less nauseous than the first Pfizer but I did feel like I had a cold or virus! :3
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    as a student nurse I am obligated to be vaccinated against COVID-19, although I would have gotten the vaccinations anyway. I have had my booster at the same time as my flu jab as I am apparently medically vulnerable :) I had AZ for my first two vaccinations and pfizer for my booster.
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    @Laura_tigger82 That's really interesting information, thank you. I never knew that people caught allergies to the vaccines...
    I'm glad your second was not as bad as the first. Pfizer has pretty strong symptoms
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Hi @Zay

If it helps I'm clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV) and have already had my booster.

I found that I was okay and just had a sore arm for a day or so! Hopefully, you'll feel similar.

How was your second Pfizer? :3
    I hope you rested up! Did the paracetamol help @Zay? :3
    edited January 2022
    Amazing to hear this @Zay. Hopefully, it will also help other people who are having their vaccines soon :3