Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Poem about Autism

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
I wanted to share a poem that I found about Autism. It is not my poem. Instead, it was written by Susan Logan and I found it on Google. The poem is called An Autistic Child and it is about how a child with autism feels about the struggles that they face and how other people judge them. It felt very inspiring especially as this is also a struggle that I face.

Here I am locked inside my own little world
You think I don't listen but I hear every word.
Sometimes I get frustrated because you don't understand.
It's not my fault, it's the way I am!
I wish I could say what I want to say
But I'm autistic, so that kind of gets in the way.
For those who don't know me
They probably think I'm out of control
If only they could play my role!
There are lots of others who feel the same
A constant battle, a losing game.
For those who look after me its two steps forward but ten back
Will they ever get the answers they lack?
Family and friends try their best but they are exhausted
In desperate need of a rest.
Someday I hope they find the key
To unlock the missing piece hidden deep within me.
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Comments

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Thank you so much for sharing @Dancer <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Dancer,

Thanks for sharing the autism poem with us. Your post was insightful, as always! And really appreciated from a fellow autistic :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
    edited October 2021
    This was a wonderful poem. The part about the writer hoping others will be able to someday unlock their missing piece struck deep.
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • SusieloSusielo Posts: 1 Just got here
    edited September 2022
    Thank you all for your kind words about my poem , writing is my way of trying to make sense of the noise in my brain.
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,913 Community Veteran
    That is such a lovely poem and I can kinda relate to it in some ways <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,004 Wise Owl
    Also want to add that I think it's a beautiful poem that is so well wrote.