Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Advice for university

naominaomi Posts: 94 Budding Regular
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey guys, I am going to university soon and it will be the first time I spend a long time, alone, away from my family :s . I wouldn't say that I am nervous yet because things tend to become real for me a lot slower than it does for other people but I am still in need of some advice about going to university for the first time. The thing is I don't really feel like I am going to go because the end of my last year in 6th form was really rushed, we just did exams and then left. No goodbye. No send off. It was just like "okay see ya! good luck with your life" so it doesn't feel like it has ended but it has which is no fault of their own because, ya know the pandemic!!! But yeah I just don't know if I feel excited or nervous because it doesn't feel real.
But yeah if anyone has advice for me on what I should do before and when I get to uni, how to make friends when I get there, how to approach lectures and independent study etc. Any advice you have would be great and accepted here. And hey maybe others who are worried about university can find some good advice here.
(My thoughts are really jumbled so if this is hard to read, I am sorry :'( )
Post edited by JustV on
Tagged:

Comments

• DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey I remember being so nervous when I went to uni. I just think it’s important to remember that everyone is in the same boat and everyone is probably feeling the same. I think what I’d say is you’ll definitely make friends even if it’s not with people in your flat, like I didn’t really make friends with people in my flat but I became best friends with people on my course instead. Joining societies is also a good idea I know I was really nervous to but it’s a great way to meet new people and have something to do away from studying. As for lectures and studying I think the way you do it is completely up to you, I personally use my iPad and draw notes on the PowerPoint as we go through and then write up notes after the lectures, some people write up notes in the lectures or record them there loads of different ways of doing things it’s just whatever works best for you. I’d say it’s good to try and keep up with lecture notes though as they can build up pretty quickly.

Are you staying in halls this year? Good luck with it I’m sure it’ll be fine, let me know how it goes xx
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • naominaomi Posts: 94 Budding Regular
    Hey @Dandelion. Thanks for responding and thanks for your advice! I am thinking of joining societies to make some friends. I know the course I am doing have a society specifically for that course so I am thinking of joining that one. I am going to stay in halls because I am going to be 2 hours away from home, so I am hoping that I will be put in a hall with friendly people so I can make friends with them.
  • jxss_lxighjxss_lxigh Posts: 16 Settling in
    Hey <3

I'm just starting my final year at university so I'd love to offer some advice anywhere I can :)

Firstly, it's completely natural to feel nervous (I totally understand where you're coming from with feeling nervous later on too, I always have those feelings quite late with any situation), everyone will be feeling the exact same nerves, home sickness, shyness, etc., and knowing this may put your mind at ease a little bit.

Personally, as soon as I moved into halls I went into the kitchen where my other flatmates were and just started to introduce myself, what course I'm doing and what my plans are for the upcoming weeks and that broke the ice.

I agree that societies can be a great place to meet people who also have the same interests as you and if you enjoy going out then "freshers" is an amazing place to meet friends and have fun :).

You may feel nervous attending your first lecture but the advice I have there is check where your classes are maybe the night before the lecture so you know exactly where you're going and be prepared with any equipment you may need (a laptop, pen and notebook, etc) and just try to keep up with as many notes as you can :)

I hope this helps and good luck! <3
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :) Can definitely understand how you feel - it feels weird starting at a new place without saying goodbye to the old one! University is a learning curve, and there'll be lots that you'll learn to figure out as you go.

Before you go, I'd suggest looking at Reddit or another site for those moving-in checklists, which help you think about what to take. When you get to uni, definitely worth getting the key contacts in your department and student wellbeing as they are handy to have. Look out for the Freshers Fair to learn about societies - they are a huge part of uni life!

For lectures and study, your course convenors will probably introduce this to you during induction week, but also feel free to approach 2nd years about this - if you get to know them, they can even act as your mentor.

And for making friends, look in all directions - your course, individual modules, societies and events, halls/accomodation, volunteering, sports - the list is endless. I'd always say - the more you get involved in all aspects of uni life, the more people you'll meet, and the more likely you are to find people who you click with. Remember, everyone is in the same boat, so feel free to introduce yourself and say hello to those around you - if you're going to be studying together or in the same society for 3 years, there's no better time to break the ice than as early as possible. There's lots of events going on, so ask them to go together to a shared interest.

The more you put into making the most of your university experience, the more you'll get out of it. So give it your all, take the opportunities that come your way, and enjoy it! <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • phoebecavphoebecav Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hey! I completely understand how you feel - I have just finished university and I remember feeling exactly the same when I was about to go- I remember a lot of anticipatory anxiety but once you are there and getting stuck in and making friends it always feels a lot better !

Another great thing to remember is that everyone is in the same boat - everyone is going to be feeling a bit nervous but on a positive note everyone will also want to make friends and have a fun time. Especially in the first weeks everyone is so so friendly - never feel worried to introduce yourself to people, because often people are wanting to do exactly the same thing.

I agree that societies are a great place to meet people - but also know there are so many different societies. Even if you don't have one particularly in mind, go to lots and you will meet lots of people and see what works for you. When I was in my first year I went to hockey, fashion, netball, tennis and surf - before becoming a big part of surf (and I don't even surf), and for me those were the people I connected most with !

Also if you are going into halls I would bring a doorstop- seems like such a small thing, but keeping your door open means that people are so much more inclined to come in and chat. My older sister recommended that to me when she went to university and I brought one and it was one of the saviours for me ! One thing that also made me feel very at home was just dedicating a bit of time before I went to university to decorate my room, I got posters that made me feel happy and lots of pictures of friends and family so that you feel safe and supported in the environment that you will be sleeping and spending a lot of time.

And any events on offer go to them all - especially in your induction week. Even if you don't find any societies or information you often get lots of free goodies and there are often lots of advertising around on good bars/restaurants which can give you a better insight about the city.

The biggest reassurance you can have is that almost everyone you will meet will have never been to university before so will have all the same stresses as you - it is completely natural and normal. University is such a fun and unique experience, I have just finished and miss it already! Good luck and have fun :)<3
  • KatKat Posts: 81 Budding Regular
    Hey

Some great advice has been given already! To add to that I would say it's important to be true to yourself. When you go to university it can be a great opportunity to try out new things but at the end of the day don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable. When I started university I tried to get involved with the partying culture as all the people in my flat were into that and I really wanted to make friends. However, that side of things wasn't right for me and I enjoyed university a lot more when I was true to myself and didn't try to pretend to be someone I was not. I found societies were a really good way of finding people who were more similar to me. So overall, its great to try new things but just know your own boundaries and recognise what makes you truly happy rather than what you think is expected of you.

Many universities have Facebook groups you can join to meet your flatmates before you move in. This can be a great way to start to get to know people and not feel so nervous on the move in day, as you have already made contact with some people.

In terms of studying, I'd say the most important thing is to keep in contact with your tutors. At my uni we had student hours where you could make appointments to speak to the tutors one to one. If your uni offers this type of thing, make sure you use it as it can be really helpful.

Also I would recommend some kind of to-do list app or an old fashioned paper academic diary to help you keep track of all the projects you have to do.

Overall, go with an open mind. There are so many amazing people and experiences at university. Even if you're nervous, try to also be excited. Best of luck <3
  • kimberley1907kimberley1907 Posts: 84 Budding Regular
    Just to echo what @Kat has already said. The Facebook groups were something that really benefited me. I was a first year last year, and I really struggled with the transition. Like you said, I also didn't get a proper send off from sixth form and school, and it felt weird and just like I was unprepared to move away from home and live somewhere else. I think the groups helped me meet people on my course, and where I was living before I got there, so it made moving in a bit better for me. In my case, I joined the Facebook groups and then WhatsApp groups were made from there. I don't know if it's the same for all universities. But if you join them, introduce yourself, and you'll gradually make friends and start chatting from there. Everyone is in the same boat and super friendly. I hope you have a great time, and really enjoy it. Good Luck :)
  • naominaomi Posts: 94 Budding Regular
    Thanks everyone for their advice so far! <3 I'll definitely make a note of this especially reminding myself that everyone is in the same boat as me, so to be less nervous in breaking the ice. Joining societies that is one of the things I am most excited about going to uni, doing things I wouldn't normally get to do. @Kat what you said about staying true yourself is really encouraging because looking at the freshers events all I see are nightclubs and parties and that really isn't my scene so I am not going to go to make myself uncomfortable. @Azziman I will definitely start making a checklist of the things that I absolutely need because I think I will get too excited and be stuck with things I don't need :s
  • sharellepatelsharellepatel Posts: 39 Boards Initiate
    Hey @naomi - well done for getting into university!

I just finished my first year of uni so I have experience of university during covid times haha. My best piece of advice would honestly be 'put yourself out there'.

When I got to university last year there were so many covid restrictions in place, so it was really hard to meet people unless you actively sought friends. Some of my home friends didn't manage to find a group of friends that they connected with until their last term of uni this year and they realised it was because they didn't make an extra effort (than usual uni years). I have made really good friends at uni the past year and I think joining course and accommodation group chats really help as it gives you a bit of a head start of chatting to new people before actually moving away. Once you are at university, if you don't think your flat mates are your kind of people, don't freak out! - it happened to me and you just have to go out on campus or in your block and find your kind of people. Remember that no one knows who you are at uni so don't feel scared about introducing yourself to new people - everyone is in the same situation :)

When it comes to lectures, being on your course group chat helps because 1 - you can find people to walk to lectures with!, and 2 - when you're stuck on something, pop it on your chat, most people are friendly enough to help you out :)

In terms of managing your workload with social life, I would say, for 1st year at least, when it comes to the reading that goes alongside your lectures, only do the required reading for each module, otherwise I found myself and my uni friends spiralling a bit trying to fit everything in! At a-levels you gain a step of independence from GCSEs, but at University you do need to manage your time - however you would like to do that - because no one is there to chase up on work and deadlines.

Feel free to PM if you want advice on anything specific - hope you have the best time <3
    Sending Hugs and a Helping Hand x
  • La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
    Hello naomi! Congratulations on getting into university! I wish you all the best.

I just graduated recently, uni nerves can be really tough sometimes. I felt the same way when I started out as well, it can be very nerve-wracking to adjust so suddenly from sixth form to university. However, I believe things will get better as you gradually get used to it.

Regarding advice, I'd definitely recommend joining a society, or regularly searching your university's website so then you can keep on top of any events and/or opportunities. This way you can meet a wider variety of students at your university.
    Personally, I struggled immensely with making friends; so by attending events I had the chance to meet people who weren't from my degree, which helped me immensely. By meeting people who share things in common with you, it can help greatly!

In addition to that, I guess the other advice I would share with you is if your degree gets tough; or you feel as if you are struggling; definitely reach out to university counselling services, and email your professors for advice. University services can be quite helpful during trying times! If the workload is difficult or life becomes tough, please alert anybody you can at your university. It will help a lot and you won't have to go through it alone that way.

I hope you have an excellent term at university. I hope my advice was adequate.

~ Dreamer ~