Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

24 hour or 12 hour

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
Hi so I asked the question probably over a year ago. And I still don’t understand why the mix still have the time as 24 hour time considering everyone knows 12 hour time as well, unless you have never seen a clock in your life and for some reason was taught how to tel the time a completely different way and some people just can’t adjust to 24 hour so I think it’s pretty unfair. And now have new users since there I thought it’s just fair enough to do the poll again.

24 hour is what it is now
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

24 hour or 12 hour 14 votes

12 hour time
14%
SienaDancer 2 votes
24 hour time
85%
Skiveindependent_JellyelephantAzzimanGreenTeaMillie2787BenMa_Tech_Addict_GirlPast UserlovemimoonSpaceOtterPast User 12 votes

Comments

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    24 hour time
    For me personally 24 hour time is much easier. I hate dealing with the whole am/pm stuff. And as I've grown in a military family in used to military times too.. like right now it's 0830
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    24 hour time
    This has been voted on a couple of times and always comes out as a majority for 24 hour. I see where you’re coming from, 12 hour is easy but I have 24 hour time on my phone so can understand it because that’s what I see all the time. If you subtract 12 from the first number you get the time in 12 hour time. So for example 22:00 if you subtract 12 from 22 you get 10 and 22:00 is 10pm. If that makes sense but that’s how I was taught.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2021
    12 hour time
    It confuses me it’s not fair considering everyone knows 12 hour.

I got a B in maths and I’m not stupid but it’s something my mind can’t remember which ones means what and my brain isn’t fast
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    12 hour time
    I also feel it is easier to have 12 hour time.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    24 hour time
    This has been voted on a couple of times and always comes out as a majority for 24 hour. I see where you’re coming from, 12 hour is easy but I have 24 hour time on my phone so can understand it because that’s what I see all the time. If you subtract 12 from the first number you get the time in 12 hour time. So for example 22:00 if you subtract 12 from 22 you get 10 and 22:00 is 10pm. If that makes sense but that’s how I was taught.

I agree, it's always in favour of 24 hours. No harm in trying tho but I do think 24 hours is preferred
    24 hour time
    GreenTea wrote: »

I agree, it's always in favour of 24 hours. No harm in trying tho but I do think 24 hours is preferred

Yep, although there’s definitely no harm in trying 12 hour for a while. In the grand scheme of things it’s not that big of a deal to me but just a preference.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    24 hour time
    Maybe, feels wrong going against majority vote tho
    24 hour time
    I do agree @GreenTea just something to consider. If there’s a best of both worlds. But I think I asked about that before and it’d have to be a universal setting, it would be handy if people could change it individually.
    edited August 2021
    12 hour time
    Yeah exactly that’s what I mean. It’s not a big deal to others as most people can read Either. It’s just a preference but I can’t read 24 hour like some others it frustrates me and makes me feel stupid
    12 hour time
    Also it used to be 12 hour. Saw no one complaining then. It’s only been like this for about 2 years I think
    24 hour time
    I think it used to be 12 hour on the old boards software yeah.

Worth remembering that we do have to go with the majority vote really (democracy and all). But it doesn’t make you stupid not being able to read it. It’s just a majority preference.
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    edited August 2021
    24 hour time
    In some countries, they use the 24 hour clock, and for some, it's what they grew up with. Some people struggle to adjust to the 12 hour clock.
    I understand your frustration. I'm similar when it comes to the 12 hour format. :joy: And the terminology... "10 past 9" Is that a trick question? Are you testing my knowledge on the numerical order? :joy: My brain's useless when it comes to that.

I'm not entirely sure what this conversation about but I think the Mix should add an option to change clock formats so people can choose which time format they want. :3
    24 hour time
    That's been raised before @lovemimoon and if I remember it isn't possible to add that feature
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    24 hour time
    I like the format as-is, no reason to change it in my opinion. It makes understanding time differences easier.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    24 hour time
    There are 24 hours in a day. It only makes sense to use a 12 hour clock when using analogue time keeping.
    Weekender Offender 
    12 hour time
    Thanks for sharing your opinion guys x