Home Health and Wellbeing
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I feel very overwhelmed

ella12345ella12345 Posts: 12 Settling in
feeling really overwhelmed atm. anyone got any advice? feel like so much is happening all at once and my head feels jammed. using this space as an outlet :#
lovemimoonnaomi

Comments

• zaynab_5zaynab_5 LondonPosts: 457 Listening Ear
    Here are some tips of what I do when I feel overwhelmed:
    -Take a time out- I would just watch a film and relax. Or I would go out for a walk. The point is to take an hour or two away from your problems- physically somewhere else, if possible. You'll remember that there's a vast world out there, and maybe put yourself back in perspective.
    -Exercise- Hit the gym. Go for a run or a swim. Whatever it is that you do for exercise, work it into the middle of the day, so you can separate the difficult morning from the rest of the afternoon.
    -Breathe deeply- Just take a full 120 seconds to breathe in and out, very deeply- maybe six or seven breaths per minute. By the end, everything will seem a little bit better.
    -Meditate- The mental health benefits of meditation include better focus and concentration, improved self-awareness and self-esteem, lower levels of stress and anxiety, and fostering kindness.
    -Call a friend- Sometimes you just need the chance to talk with someone you're close with who is completely unrelated to whatever momentary drama is going on in your life.
    -Take a nap- A nap can boost memory, lift your mood, make you more alert, and ease stress.
    -Drink water- Increasing your water intake improves your mood. It makes me feel better because I know I'm doing something small that's health-positive.

I hope this helps!
    lovemimoonella12345
  • natdsnatds Posts: 10 Settling in
    Hi @ella12345 I recently went through feeling really overwhelmed and here are some tips that helped me:
    - Make a weekly (or daily) list of small to big tasks that need to get done, start with a small task so even if you don't complete the big stuff straight away you'll still feel productive.
    - Remember to take things 24 hours at a time- this is where the daily list could come in handy so when you complete that list for the day you can relax.
    - Please remember to give yourself me time for at least 20 minutes a day! I try to relax before bed where I'd watch my favourite tv show, do a face mask, read a book etc.
    - Remember you won't get everything done in one day and that's okay! The biggest priority is your mental health so try not to put too much pressure on yourself and know your limits.

I hope this helps! Take care of yourself and don't forget to keep hydrated!!
    lovemimoonella12345
  • AislingDMAislingDM Posts: 153 Helping Hand
    It must be truly horrendous struggling in that way with such strong and intense emotions @ella12345 ! You really do deserve to find some relaxation and peace. Amazing tips from @zaynab_5 and @natds (which I will certainly be trying myself :)). Just thought I'd mention the 54321 grounding technique which can be really useful to create an atmosphere of calm when everything is too overwhelming. How are you feeling atm? <3

https://www.letss.org.au/index.php/individual-blog/the-54321-technique-grounding-exercise-for-panic-attacks

^ 54321 instructions x
    ella12345
  • ella12345ella12345 Posts: 12 Settling in
    @AislingDM feeling much better now! hit the gym today and got a membership! hopefully that will now provide me a safe space to go when I'm feeling overwhelmed. thank you all @natds @zaynab_5 for all the support and advice <3