Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Finding Friends & Recovery

AwkwardHipster_5AwkwardHipster_5 Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot

I'm absolutely obsessed with languages. I'm so obsessed with languages that I decided to research basic Greenlandic. 😂 Now, I am absolutely obsessed by EVERYTHING Greenlandic. 😂

My fluency level in German is intermediate and my French is basic conversational. At the moment, I am learning Russian and I absolutely love it. At the end of the year, I hope to go travelling with my friend. We want to go inter-railing around Europe, visit Thailand and go on holiday to Greenland. Obviously, this depends upon the whole COVID-19 situation. I'm planning to learn some basic Polish before we depart for travelling.

Before I leave, I would like to practise my language. In the future, I would like to be completely fluent in German and have an intermediate level of Russian and French. 😁

Right now, I would like to boost my fluency level in German. I'd love to find a pen pal to help expand my knowledge of the German language. Do you know any trustworthy pen pal websites that I can subscribe to? I've researched some websites but I am concerned about the safety of some particular websites and their negative reviews. This would not only be an opportunity to expand my knowledge but make new friends and relationships.

I suffer from Clinical Depression, Anorexia Nervosa, Generalised Anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I've reached the point where I am almost an ENTIRE year into recovery. This would be so beneficial for my mental health and give me a focus on this unusual gap year. My Clinical Depression was only diagnosed recently. Before, I had a diagnosis of depression caused by severe Anxiety. This is a separate diagnosis.

If you could offer me any advice, I would be most appreciative. 😜

Thank you Xx 😊

Comments

• JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    Just thought I would welcome you to The Mix @AwkwardHipster_5. I'm impressed by the wide variety of languages you speak! Inter-railling would be such a fun way to test out your language abilities across a variety of countries. I hope you get to do it! :smile:

I can't point you in the direction of a penpal website, as I don't know much about them! It sounds like you have done some research into some websites already. My advice would be to continue that research, read user reviews of the site, and remember to stay safe and be careful with the information you share with any potential penpal!

Not sure if this would work, but you could try reach out to German universities and see if they are able to connect you with anyone? I have zero idea if that would work, but it might be worth a try!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AwkwardHipster_5AwkwardHipster_5 Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    Jordan said:
    Just thought I would welcome you to The Mix @AwkwardHipster_5. I'm impressed by the wide variety of languages you speak! Inter-railling would be such a fun way to test out your language abilities across a variety of countries. I hope you get to do it! :smile:

I can't point you in the direction of a penpal website, as I don't know much about them! It sounds like you have done some research into some websites already. My advice would be to continue that research, read user reviews of the site, and remember to stay safe and be careful with the information you share with any potential penpal!

Not sure if this would work, but you could try reach out to German universities and see if they are able to connect you with anyone? I have zero idea if that would work, but it might be worth a try!
    Thank you! Reaching out to German universities? I'd not thought of that. Thank you! That sounds like an excellent idea. 😁
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    @AwkwardHipster_5 First of all I would like to say Hii because I haven't seen you around before  <3   That's good that you found something you enjoy can I ask what a pen pal is so then maybe I can help you more and understand you more  :)
    Also, I can understand you have anxiety and it isn't very nice I have it too your not alone I overthink a lot too xx
    Emoji246 said:
    @AwkwardHipster_5 First of all I would like to say Hii because I haven't seen you around before  <3   That's good that you found something you enjoy can I ask what a pen pal is so then maybe I can help you more and understand you more  :)
    So, a pen pal is someone that you exchange letters or emails with in order to expand your knowledge of their native language, culture or social life. 

I'm looking for German pen pal to help expand my knowledge of the German language. However, I would like to find out more about the German culture and their social life. 
    Emoji246 said:
    Also, I can understand you have anxiety and it isn't very nice I have it too your not alone I overthink a lot too xx
    It is extremely isolating! I have my good days and bad days.

Honestly, the worst thing about anxiety is having to take the medication. 
    @AwkwardHipster_5 I would be your pen pal but I don’t speak Germany 🥺
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    Well done on being a year into recovery! :)

I think it's lovely that you plan on travelling with a friend- it sounds like you'll have a good time visiting plenty of different countries and learning different languages along the way too.

I don't know any penpal websites at all, unfortunately. I know that you can always use duolingo for learning and practicing languages and you can add friends on there, but I don't think you are able to talk to them (though you can compete against each other). 

Sorry I can't be of more help and hope others are able to help you further. I wish you all the best in continuing with your recovery, your search for a penpal and your awesome sounding travels. You deserve it :) 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.