Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Undecided on a masters

Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello,

I'm in two minds. My undergraduate degree is in Biomolecular Science and I've found myself unable to choose whether I want to become a clinical scientist or a paramedic. My 2nd year was affected by bereavement so it bought down my grade so its looking like I'll need to take the longer and more expensive route if I choose clinical science. I need to think about it very carefully and realistically whether its something I can manage. 

If I choose the science route, I need go via the STP (an NHS course) which is spans 3 years.Because I only just missed out on top grades I will need a masters to be considered. 

If I chose paramedic science conversation course , its a 2 year course to gain a masters.

Either way I'm working and gaining experience for 2 years. 
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    edited June 2020
    Heya @Salix_alba_2019!

I'll start my post with a little disclaimer that I know very little about science masters courses so take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

I'm sorry to hear you experienced a bereavement in your 2nd year. I imagine you'll have looked at things like this before, but would your university retroactively take the bereavement into consideration and alter or remove those grades that bring down your average?

You mention that you are working and gaining experience for two years. Does this mean the two courses you mentioned(STP and paramedic science) offer working opportunities during them?

When you say you need to consider whether its realistic and something you can manage, what do you mean? Do you mean manage it from an academic perspective or a personal perspective?

To help you decide, it might be useful to take a look at the long term progression between a clinical scientist and a paramedic. If you do either one, what would your job look like 5 or 10 years down the line? Is there one that appeals to you more? 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Question is, which one do you want to do? Considering you're career will probably be over 40 years, 1 extra year of study is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Don't let an extra year stop you from doing something you'd prefer doing x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.