Home Coronavirus/COVID-19
We are writing some music with the help of a professional band! Share some small positive stories from lockdown to contribute our song over on this thread!
Want to discuss Coronavirus/COVID-19? Head to the dedicated forum.

Schools

GreenTeaGreenTea The moonPosts: 2,659 Mega Poster

Nothing is stressing me out more than schools expecting to go back in 2 weeks..

70+ education staff have died of this virus, children have died, children are now getting a secondary related illness.

Are the government stupid?
Salix_alba_2019Aidan

Comments

• independent_independent_ Boards Legend ScotlandPosts: 1,346 Fanatical Poster
    I completely agree @GreenTea it’s ridiculous. I heard on the news this morning that children are less likely to spread covid but that’s pretty hard to believe because of the rate at which they spread other illnesses like colds and sickness bugs.

Also good luck keeping 5 and 6 year olds 2m apart when they see their friends for the first time in 3 months. Not a fucking chance.

I’m very glad that the Scottish government have taken a different approach to this.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    AidanLiam
  • GreenTeaGreenTea The moonPosts: 2,659 Mega Poster
    Children have been spreading it. Children have died from it. Children are getting a secondary sickness from it which is causing deaths but the government is turning a blind eye. 
    independent_Aidan
  • AidanAidan Potato Posts: 1,760 Postholic
    Made a little TLDR of the roadmap bits that are relevant to schools:
    • Schools will not be fully opened now, the rate of infection is too high
    • Government expects early years, reception, and year 1 and 6, to be back in school in small sizes from June 1st
    • Year 10 and 12 students should begin to have some face-to-face contact with schools/colleges in preparation for exams next year
    • Subject to review, the aim is for all primary school children to return before the summer
    • The Joint Biosecurity Centre will advise the closure of schools where infection rates have spiked
    • Face coverings shouldn't be used for children under 2, children with respiratory condition, or (without assistance) primary school age children
    Hope this is helpful to know!
    This shit is bananas
    b - a - n - a - n - a - s
    independent_
    That's all lies. Our unions are telling us different. 
    We are expected to go back regardless due to children "missing out"
    Aidan
  • jazzyjellybeanjazzyjellybean Posts: 2 Noob
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/GreenTea">GreenTea</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">

70+ education staff have died of this virus, children have died, children are now getting a secondary related illness.

Are the government stupid?</div>
    </blockquote>
    Yep it’s pretty stupid but I’m mostly annoyed that as a year 11, I can’t do my exams which determine my future so what if the teachers fuck me over with the grades they give me? 
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/GreenTea">GreenTea</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">

Are the government stupid?</div>
    </blockquote>
    Yep it’s pretty stupid but I’m mostly annoyed that as a year 11, I can’t do my exams which determine my future so what if the teachers fuck me over with the grades they give me? 

They aren't allowed to fuck you over. There are strict rules and guidelines for it. 
    independent_
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Carer/Craft Lover Posts: 2,639 Mega Poster
    edited May 18
    There’s a chance that if I go back to college W/B 8th of June when out college want us back then I could be stopped going to work and right now I need my wages  and with my bus to college there is no way you can maintain the 2m safety distance 
    “ I believe that you have the power to achieve whatever you put your mind too, You are living a life’s most people won’t  ever understand but that’s what will Be the root of all your determination and success. You have a soul full of love and kindness and I just know that despite all the hardship, a life’s of happiness awaits you and I’m very proud of you, just keep holding on” 
  • independent_independent_ Boards Legend ScotlandPosts: 1,346 Fanatical Poster
    My main concern would be how the hell we’re keeping young kids 2m apart. They’ll see their friends and want to run to them and give them hugs because they haven’t seen them for so long. They don’t understand.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • AzzimanAzziman The Mix convert Posts: 702 Incredible Poster
    I think there's two main reasons they're doing this:

1) Coronavirus cases among children is incredibly rare, and several studies show that the R rate for children is extremely low. They're saying they're going on an evidence-based approach, so the data (released today) would support this. Social distancing will be hard though, so waiting to see how they plan to manage this. Not to mention that teachers remain at risk, and many don't feel it's safe to return yet.

2) Childcare is becoming a larger problem, especially for essential workers. Many rely on schools to feed their kids and keep them busy while they work, look after a relative etc. During this time, those people are struggling to feed kids, and essential workers are stuck as they have to work but can't leave the kids alone. Sending them back to school addresses this issue while childcare isn't allowed, while also bearing in mind the low R-rate and infection rates of children. Before lockdown, children of essential workers were allowed in some schools while the rest were sent away, so there are questions over whether this would've been a better idea.

Just to clarify that this isn't my stance - this is the justification that the government has given for this, so felt it was important to include this in the conversation. Added a couple of questions for each though which some people have raised about this.
    Coronavirus in kids is rare. But the illness that kids are now getting is extremely rare yet multiple children have caught it. Including a 6 month old baby...the news aren't reporting on it and I don't know why.