Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Mix's free elearning courses

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
edited January 2023 in Community Announcements
For those who don't know, The Mix offers free elearning courses. Once completed, they can be added to your CV and give you a headstart when applying for either paid work or volunteer roles, either for The Mix or for other charities like ours. They also provide life skills for you to use day-to-day. :)

What courses are there?
There are 7 courses anyone can complete:

• Essential Skills for Online Support (2 hours)
  • Talking about Anxiety and Depression (2 hours 30 minutes)
  • Conflict Resolution: Improving Your Relationships (1 hour 30 minutes)
  • Brand You - what are your transferrable skills? (45 minutes)
  • Consent: Be Better at Sex (1 hour)
  • Problem-solving (45 minutes)
  • Money Works (1 hour 20 minutes)

Excitingly (obviously this is the best part ;)), there are now also 8 shiny new badges to earn:

Where do I sign up?
If you want to check our our elearning, you'll need to head to our elearning portal. From there, you can create an account and visit The Mix Learning. Once you're there, can click on any course to enrol yourself.

How do I get the badge?
If you complete a course, or have already completed a course but don't have the badge, you can request it by going to the relevant badge link and clicking 'request badge'. Links below:

Questions? Post them below. :) Happy learning!
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    Am I too young to do these? I know that the consent one is not exactly appropriate for people my age.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    @Kasa2103 said:
    Am I too young to do these? I know that the consent one is not exactly appropriate for people my age.
    Nope! If you're old enough to be a member here, you're old enough to take the courses. :3 Up to you if you're not comfortable doing the consent one, though. Totally understandable if so!
    Thank you @Mike I managed to just complete the Brand You course and it was really good. 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    edited May 2020
    Kasa2103 said:
    Thank you @Mike I managed to just complete the Brand You course and it was really good. 
    Nice @Kasa2103! Well done. :) You'll be piling up the badges in no time.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Well since I have been signed off for a bit may as well learn something new :) thanks for the heads up about this! im confined to my bed mostly so this will pass the time :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    edited May 2020
    Well since I have been signed off for a bit may as well learn something new :) thanks for the heads up about this! im confined to my bed mostly so this will pass the time :)
    We figured elearning might be a nice way for people to keep busy and feel productive in lockdown @BubblesGoesBoo. :) Glad to hear you're interested!
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @Mike I've been on the anxiety and depression one and it took me an insane amount of time to work out that you have to press the blue arrows for the information to come up :joy:
    Alis propriis volat 
    @Mike not sure if its just my laptop but the essential skills one froze and isn't moving now, ive refreshed a couple of times but it keeps sticking in the same place....

realised I completed one of the courses back in 2017 haha
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Pretty sure I've done all these already!
    Might do them again though once I finish sign language level 2!
    Can we request badges for courses completed a while ago or does it have to be recent?
    edited May 2020
    GreenTea said:
    Can we request badges for courses completed a while ago or does it have to be recent?
    Any time @GreenTea. :) But feel free to re-do courses if you like to brush up on your knowledge.

@Mike not sure if its just my laptop but the essential skills one froze and isn't moving now, ive refreshed a couple of times but it keeps sticking in the same place....

realised I completed one of the courses back in 2017 haha
    Aah! Are you using mobile or desktop? Might be worth trying a couple of different browsers if you're having issues, or maybe checking if Flash has permission to run. It can be a bit temperamental.

Oh, and feel free to request the badge for the course you did in 2017 @BubblesGoesBoo. :)

@Eleanor said:
    @Mike I've been on the anxiety and depression one and it took me an insane amount of time to work out that you have to press the blue arrows for the information to come up :joy:
    Hahah oops! Once you get into the flow of how they work it should be easier, but there's probably a way we could make the navigation a bit more obvious. If it helps, every course uses a similar back/forward arrow/button type system to move around. :)
    Mike said:
    Kasa2103 said:
    Nice @Kasa2103! Well done. :) You'll be piling up the badges in no time.
    Thanks. Doing the Anxiety and Depression course now.
    ive requested badges for the courses i know ive done.. well ive done majority of them in the past but will re do a couple of them
    It won't say  that I've completed it cause you need to fill out a survey that no longer exists 🤷‍♀️😂
    edited May 2020
    It won't say  that I've completed it cause you need to fill out a survey that no longer exists 🤷‍♀️😂
    That's cool @BubblesGoesBoo - sometimes they don't tick off properly. Let us know when you request the badge and we can put it through anyway. :) Which module is the survey in?
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I'm gonna get my e-learn on! 🥰😂

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    Laine said:
    I'm gonna get my e-learn on! 🥰😂
    Woop! Let us know how you get on @Laine. :3
  • StarlightStarlight Posts: 1,436 Wise Owl
    Sounds interesting can't believe I didn't see these before, definitely going to try these out!!
    “I got you, moonlight, you're my starlight
    I need you all night, come on, dance with me”

* Shine like the star you are! *
    Nice one @Starlight! Let us know how you get on. :3
  • StarlightStarlight Posts: 1,436 Wise Owl
    edited June 2020
    Not sure if this is the right place but Im trying to do the quiz on the final part of the brand you course and not all the options are appearing and its the correct answers that arent so I cant complete it, Im not sure what to do about it.

Edit: never mind I logged out then back in again and was able to complete it.
    “I got you, moonlight, you're my starlight
    I need you all night, come on, dance with me”

* Shine like the star you are! *
    edited June 2020
    Nice one @Starlight - sorry about the buggyness! Remember to request the badge too. :)
  • lucyking200lucyking200 Deactivated Posts: 130 The Mix Convert
    I am waiting an email to start?? How do you do them are there videos??
    edited June 2020
    Once you've verified your email @lucyking200, you'll be able to see how they work. :) They use a mixture of different learning styles like watching videos, doing quizzes, activities, writing things down, etc. It might be useful to think of them as basically interactive, fancy powerpoints.

If you have trouble verifying your email, let us know and we can look into it (a few folks have that problem).
  • lucyking200lucyking200 Deactivated Posts: 130 The Mix Convert
    Mike said:
    Once you've verified your email @lucyking200, you'll be able to see how they work. :) They use a mixture of different learning styles like watching videos, doing quizzes, activities, writing things down, etc. It might be useful to think of them as basically interactive, fancy powerpoints.

If you have trouble verifying your email, let us know and we can look into it (a few folks have that problem).

Yes can you look into it having problems with email?
    Mike said:

Yes can you look into it having problems with email?
    Sure thing @lucyking200. We'll drop you a PM to troubleshoot. :)
    edited July 2020
    @The Mix I have been running into a few problems... On the other courses, I cannot move the sliders at all and on the tasks where you have to type as many works in a minute as you can, it only lets me type one word. Also, on the second to last module on the essential skills one, it won't say I've completed it, I did it again to make sure I didn't miss anything but it just won't tick the box

I'm not sure if these are just happening for me but thought I'd flag it up :) 
    Post edited by Zen on
    Alis propriis volat 
    Cheers for this @eleanor. :3 What broswer/device combo are you running?

Not to worry about the completions not ticking off - that's been an issue for a while and as long as we can see you've done the rest of it, you still get the badge and have, for all intents and purposes, finished it.
    Thanks @Mike I did them on a Chromebook using Chrome browser :) 
    Alis propriis volat 
    Cheers @Eleanor - will take that info back to the team. :3
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Eleanor - we have fixed the bugs on the consent module, are you able to check that works for you now? You may need to restart the module...

Which courses were you having issues with the sliders? Have you tried the money course? Quite heavy slider usage in that one :lol:

FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.