Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is Your School/University/College shutting down?

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,788 Master Poster
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Boris Johnson has now officially said that all schools and nurseries in Scotland, Wales and England will be closed from Friday until further notice. Does this country for colleges and universities? If so do you think that will last until next term, June, September or even longer?
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Is Your School/University/College shutting down? 11 votes

Yes
100%
BubblesGoesBooindependent_MaisyLaineSalix_alba_2019Jade09DurhamjaideHowDoYouTalkAboutItZenThePigeonsRomeroMontague 11 votes
No but I have a sibling/relative affected
0%
No and I don't know anyone affected
0%
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Yes
    I’m in Scotland, and my college closed this afternoon.

I’m only in 3 days a week and I wasn’t in today, so my last day was yesterday.

It was originally closing on Friday but yesterday they made the decision to close today.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    My school is open tomorrow and on Friday but that is it for about 95% of students. The other 5% are children of NHS workers, police officers and delivery drivers or they are vulnerable so cannot stay home alone  (most parents won't want to take unpaid sick leave possibly for a few months just because schools are shut.)
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • Options
    ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    edited March 2020
    Yes
    I'm in the Netherlands. The universities and colleges closed last friday until the 6th of April. The elementary schools etc were closed this monday. Most schools will have online lessons so they can continue studying. Maybe they will do the same in the UK? The schools are now opened again for students in their exam year so they can still finish their highschool.

It's unsure how long this will be, I think the lessons will be mainly online and some sort of homeschooling. The elementary schools are open for the kids of doctors, nurses, police officers and the like so they can still go to their work.
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Yes
    our schools closed last Friday :lol: we're ahead of the game lol, same for college's/uni
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    Yes
    I don’t know if schools in Scotland are still taking vulnerable kids or those kids of key workers...I assume from the news maybe not? I’ve only seen that for English schools.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Most mainstream high schools around the UK will now be closed but schools for vunerable kids with complex needs won't close as it's the safest place for them to be
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    Yes
    Yes, my university and my friend's university has shut down. Summer graduations are also postponed, and many people on other courses are having to have extensions on their work. My research, which would've involved interviews, will now probably be done online, although I'm fine with that :p It's sad though because there was no final goodbye, just one day we were in uni, and the next, we aren't. I'm going to miss uni as I was only there for a year anyway (MA student).
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited March 2020
    Can people please just remember that staff have to be healthy too and are more likely to get sick over children. Closing schools is protecting staff and their families. 
    I get the frustration etc but the health of us adults is important too. You can't be educated if teachers are being sick or dying. 

Teachers, teaching assistants, dinner ladies etc are people too. 
  • Options
    My school are letting students who have parents that are key workers or students who are vulnerable come in to school but we have a reduced timetable  (can't do computing as there are not enough teachers and some other subject teachers can't make it as they have kids.)
  • Options
    Yes
    My mum works in a school and I think her school is staying open for vulnerable kids and those of key workers too. She was asked today if she was willing to work with them and she said she was. I don’t know what their timetable will be like but hopefully they’re there over lunchtime so they can still get their free school meal if they get one of those. 
  • Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Yes
    We're closing after tomorrow.

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld