Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

COVID-19 hugs/ranty thread.

Comments

• Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,794 Master Poster
    Did a home covid test today to see what it will be like when I get a covid test at school. Thankfully came back negative.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @Dancer Wow you got those results quick, how did you get them the same day?
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Options
    Eleanor said:
    @Dancer Wow you got those results quick, how did you get them the same day?
    Lateral flow test. It was one of the quick tests at home where you get the results in 20 minutes. It was disgusting and made me gag but sometimes people have to do what they don't like to protect themselves as well as other people.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • Options
    @Dancer Ah okay, we have those at uni - worth it tho
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    It's exhausting isn't it @Laine ? You're definitely not alone with wanting this all to be over. You've been a great support to SO many people this year and you've not really had much support yourself despite your year being ridiculously difficult. We're all here for you. Sending HUGE hugs <3
  • Options
    @laine I totally get your frustrations! It's been going on for so long and it doesn't seem like we're getting anywhere, it honestly sucks. Always here if you need a rant or a chat, massive hugs <3
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Dancer said:
    Did a home covid test today to see what it will be like when I get a covid test at school. Thankfully came back negative.

You should only really be tested if you have symptoms.. I'm a little confused by this?
  • Options
    GreenTea said:
    Dancer said:

You should only really be tested if you have symptoms.. I'm a little confused by this?
    My mum has a friend who works for the NHS and she managed to get us some. My sister had symptoms last week anyway so she had to get a test and we had a spare lateral flow test thing. 
  • Options
    I really hope people understand that EVERYONE finds out the same time each time an annocement is made. School's don't know what's about to happen.. they find out when everyone else does...yet people seem to think it's ok to attack school staff.
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    Dancer said:
    GreenTea said:
    Dancer said:

My mum has a friend who works for the NHS and she managed to get us some. My sister had symptoms last week anyway so she had to get a test and we had a spare lateral flow test thing. 
    I wouldn’t trust them too much as there reliability have been questioned 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    Having my first covid jab tomorrow kinda anxious because I was so poorly after my flu jab 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    For anyone who wants to know here’s the updated list 
    Pretty much  tier 2 are going into 3 and tier 3 are going to 4 
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/full-list-of-local-restriction-tiers-by-area#tier-3-very-high-alert
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    This awful year is nearly over and I’m glad about that, but I can’t help but think next year isn’t going to be any better. I’ve had such an awful year (as most of us have) with Covid and my mental health and none of that it going to change anytime soon.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    111 adviced me to take another covid test as im not well :( 
  • Options
    Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    Lockdown induced irritability. I'm not quite sure how to process this feeling😅 

• Options
    SciFi_456SciFi_456 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    Hi everyone 👋 

How is everyone doing with new restrictions?

• Options
    AnneFrypanAnneFrypan Posts: 335 The Mix Regular
    Staying at home doing schoolwork at home it all now feels like a prison and I feel less comfortable at home because I'm just always there it feels like the cage is getting smaller and social life is just cancelled I just want my friends to comfort again at school there hugs and words of wisdom. Already miss them a lot.
  • Options
    ChrisMChrisM Moderator, Staff Posts: 43 Boards Initiate
    I don't think you are alone in feeling like this @AnneFrypan. I think there is a lot of good advice in this article: https://www.themix.org.uk/coronavirus-and-mental-health/coronavirus-your-relationship-survival-guide-36117.html. Most of it we already know but it's worth a refresher as we prepare ourselves for the new year.
    Also - let's face it - sometimes it's just a bit rubbish and it's okay to feel frustrated about it.
    I wonder what makes us feel closest to our friends when we can't give them a physical hug? A song, a picture, a TV show?

• Options
    Still waiting on my covid results and I feel like utter shit physically and mentally at this point
  • Options
    ChrisMChrisM Moderator, Staff Posts: 43 Boards Initiate
    Sorry to hear you are not feeling well @GreenTea. Look after yourself and we're sending positive thoughts your way.
  • Options
    @ChrisM thank you. Trying to be kind to myself but I feel so horrific. I've been in bed all day because my body hurts all over.

I've also just spent £13 on bread, milk and cereal...I'm raging. I can't go out because I'm still waiting for covid results, I have no food in so I had to do something and it cost me £13..
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,499 Skive's The Limit
    Do you think this is selfish?

someone who works in a care home and doesn’t follow the rules and yet won’t get the vaccine?
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I began wondering if I should write goodbye letters before I return to work on Monday, out if pure fear of catching covid at work and dying. 
    I shouldn't have to think this way, I shouldn't have to fear death at my job. I shouldn't have to cry and question what to do incase covid kills me.
    I used to look forward to going to work, work helped me keep a routine. I love my job.. but I'm absolutely terrified that I'll catch covid off someone and die. The government aren't doing enough to protect educational staff. 
    I'm scared. The next few months scare me. 
  • Options
    In march..when it was 5000 people testing positive a day... School's had to close we went into lockdown.
    The UK has just hit a daily 53,000+ positive cases in the past 24 hours.. with it being the 6th day running of 50,000 daily cases...yet schools are open tomorrow..

How does this shit make sense??
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Because the government will only close schools as a last resort and they think that school closures will have an impact on the wellbeing and education of pupils. Honestly I don't particularly understand why either! It was much safer when it was just vulnerable students and students who have parents that are key workers going to school and everyone else doing remote learning because it was much smaller groups, social distancing and other measures. 
  • Options
    Shaunie said:
    Do you think this is selfish?

someone who works in a care home and doesn’t follow the rules and yet won’t get the vaccine?
    Yes and no. Many people are unsure about getting the vaccine so that part isn't really selfish. But yes it is selfish that they won't follow the rules. 
  • Options
    I have heard stuff on the news that face coverings might be made compulsory in secondary school classrooms. I disagree with this because many students are not socially distanced from eachother in classrooms so it will not make any difference. Also, it even says on gov.uk "Face coverings can have a negative impact on teaching and learning and so their use in the classroom should be avoided." Does anyone else disagree with face coverings possibly being made compulsory in secondary school classrooms? I agree with face coverings being made compulsory when walking around school in case you come into contact with other bubbles and because being in crowded corridors can significantly increase the risk of covid spreading.
  • Options
    I think it should be made compulsory in schools. In classrooms, corridors etc. Not just when walking around. 
  • Options
    It is compulsory in the corridors. 
  • Options
    It's better to protect yourself than not bother at all. Wearing masks in class should be compulsory