Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sertraline

GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Hello all,

I'm really struggling on sertraline at the moment, worse than my previous medication. I find myself breaking down more, my insomnia is worse, my anxiety is constant, and my thoughts are really bad. I'm struggling a lot more with self harm too and it worries me.
I'm kinda tired of having medication changes and medication added and medication taken away etc. It's really difficult.
And with my recent physical life long illness, and the need for medication for that. It all feels so much.

Anyone had bad experience on sertraline? I just don't know what to do anymore.

Thank you

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    How long have you been on it? Its up to you obviously but If 4/6 probs not worth it. Antidepressants arent the be and end all tbh.  A lot of it is self help and natural methods

I was reading sertaline is a popular antidepressant but results have shown its not even that affective. But obvs different for everyone

Hope you fine something that works for you
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Been on it for a couple months recently had my dose upped. Which is when things started to get worse and I'm panicking that maybe the medication for my physical thing is affecting it, or maybe my sleep Medication is? I just don't know. I don't feel my self at all
    I had a 6 hour anxiety attack on the 31st of December.. 6 hours.
    Slept 2 hours in a day and a half.
    And basically had a complete and utter emotional melt down
    Are you still taking promethazine cause dont think that would help if youre using that long term cause think is short term 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    I use it every now and again. Not regularly, like I've used it once in 2 weeks and even then that didn't help me at all sleep
    Maybe might take awhile for it to settle when the dose gets upped?
    I really don't know anymore :( I'm in such a bad state. Completely lashed out at myself again :(
    Do you have anything that usually helps to calm you ? <3
    Not recently. I'm literally just sat on the floor crying. I just feel completely exhausted but can't sleep. Feel like this is the worse I've been in a very long time
    Do you know what triggered it? Maybe crisis messenger might help?
    I do kinda know what's triggering some of this, it's so difficult. 
    I've been texting Sam's for the past 3 days which is kinda helping.

I just feel so lost at this point. Starting to wonder if I'm better off 6ft under..
    Im awake if wanna talk about it. 
    Dont think anyone better off 6 ft under. Deserve to be here and hopeful feel better
    I just feel like a complete useless worth shit. I'm just a massive burden on everyone around me
    GreenTea said:
    I just feel like a complete useless worth shit. I'm just a massive burden on everyone around me
    I dont see you that way
    But I am that way. In just a nobody to everyone. Everyone hates me
    Hate is a strong word. I dont hate you so thats not everyone and if someone does hate you then you have to care about something to hate it. Otherwise ignore. (I think thats true lol)

Sorry I'm such a horrible burden to everyone. 
    Sorry I can't get fuck all right.
    Sorry I'm trying to grip on to the small things that give me reason.
    Sorry I'm so useless and disgusting
    Gonna try sleep. Not that I'm hopeful
    Had about 3 hour sleep 😭😭😭😭😭
    I just want this to end
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    GreenTea said:
    Hello all,

I'm really struggling on sertraline at the moment, worse than my previous medication. I find myself breaking down more, my insomnia is worse, my anxiety is constant, and my thoughts are really bad. I'm struggling a lot more with self harm too and it worries me.
    I'm kinda tired of having medication changes and medication added and medication taken away etc. It's really difficult.
    And with my recent physical life long illness, and the need for medication for that. It all feels so much.

Thank you
    Hey, you sound like you need some hugs💛

Its been a while since being on sertraline and I stopped before I could experience any positive effects because side effects were causing a lot of discomfort. Medication changes are tough, especially the side effects. 

Though life styles changes do help, medication can give you a booster to help stay stable and to make life that bit more manageable. I'm on citalopram and it has been an absolute godsend, side effects were mild but overall I am the happiest I've ever been, thoughts of self harm are gone and I can actually enjoy things and whilst being my silly goofy self lol 

It's a real pain but worth it one you find something that works, buttt to get the most of it, lifestyle changes and therapy in conjunction to mess will give you the best chances of wellness

Salix 
    GreenTea said:
    Hello all,

Thank you
    Hey, you sound like you need some hugs💛

Its been a while since being on sertraline and I stopped before I could experience any positive effects because side effects were causing a lot of discomfort. Medication changes are tough, especially the side effects. 

Though life styles changes do help, medication can give you a booster to help stay stable and to make life that bit more manageable. I'm on citalopram and it has been an absolute godsend, side effects were mild but overall I am the happiest I've ever been, thoughts of self harm are gone and I can actually enjoy things and whilst being my silly goofy self lol 

It's a real pain but worth it one you find something that works, buttt to get the most of it, lifestyle changes and therapy in conjunction to mess will give you the best chances of wellness

Salix 

Thank you.
    Your hug is much much appreciated right now. I feel like I'm not having a positive experience at all on sertraline which is really really difficult to cope with. 
    I'm just... I want to be happy again
    Im on citalopram too. Havent noticed any side effects compared to sertraline
    Sertraline is giving me really bad acid reflux but so did flouxaitine 
    Have you tried citalopram?
    Not yet. Gonna walk to the doctor's tomorrow and book an appointment because I feel like I'm hitting crisis point and really need help from them

• Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    Hopefully they'll subside soon @GreenTea *sends extra hugs *💖

@Shaunie twinning 🤪
  • StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    edited January 2020
    Hey @GreenTea

Just wanted to check in to see how you are? 

It sounds like things are difficult for you, we are here for you and it’s really positive you are posting here to get support.

Sending hugs :heart: 
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Really finding everything difficult