Young Carers of The Mix, we need you! Tell us about your experiences of our services and give yourself a chance to win £50 of Amazon vouchers.

Jeans For Genes Week

Kasa2103Kasa2103 Ugly SnakeSouth EastPosts: 1,940 Postholic
Hi everyone!

Happy Jeans For Genes week. You are probably wondering what on earth I am going on about.

Jeans For Genes Week is a week in September dedicated to raising awareness about genetic disorders. Some examples of genetic disorders are down syndrome, cystic fibrosis and sickle cell anemia. A genetic disorder is something that is passed on through genes (your parents or other generations in your family.) There is no cure for it but there are ways to control the disorders someone might have. 

I chose to request a colour change for the confetti cannon so the week can be celebrated in a unique way.

So wear your jeans and start raising awareness.

Stay awesome.  :)
I have endured pain and loss. I have felt broken. I have known hardship, and I have felt lost and alone.

But here I stand, trying to move forward, one day at a time. I will remember the lessons in my life because they are making me who I am. Stronger.

A warrior. 
AidanButterfly23Riley

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Lyrical Poster Posts: 5,115 The Mix Elder
    I love this thread, I have a rare genetic condition so it's great to see awareness, many people dont know much about genetic conditions. 

Thanks for starting this thread :heart: 
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    Aidan
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 1,237 Fanatical Poster
    This is great, it's so important to raise awareness of genetic disorders because treatment for some of them can be very limited- and why genetic testing and counselling is such an important service for diagnosis and people thinking about having children too <3

The work from the 100,000 Genomes Project looks like it could be very promising too, at helping identify genetic causes of certain diseases and cancers and developing better ways of diagnosing and treating them 
    *BananaMonkey*Jacob101
  • ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 6,196 The Mix Elder
    Thank you for sharing! <3
    “If we could look into each other’s hearts and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care” Marvin J. Ashton
  • AifeAife LondonPosts: 2,043 Staff Moderator
    This is a lovely thread @Kasa2103 <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Kasa2103Kasa2103 Ugly Snake South EastPosts: 1,940 Postholic
    Thank you everyone.
    I have endured pain and loss. I have felt broken. I have known hardship, and I have felt lost and alone.

But here I stand, trying to move forward, one day at a time. I will remember the lessons in my life because they are making me who I am. Stronger.

A warrior. 
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Miniposter England Posts: 793 Incredible Poster
    Interesting information Kasa! 💓
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 183 The Mix convert
    Lovely thread! I have hypermobility EDS which they believe to be genetic so it's really lovely to see awareness :heart:
    Interesting information Kasa! 💓
    Thanks. It definitely is interesting to learn about.

A warrior. 
    coc0mac said:
    Lovely thread! I have hypermobility EDS which they believe to be genetic so it's really lovely to see awareness :heart:
    Thank you! Maybe it is genetic. Does anyone else in the family have it? If not it is just spontaneous 

A warrior. 
    edited September 22
    I hope that everyone has enjoyed discovering lots about Jeans For Genes week. @The Mix same time next year? ;) Thank you @Aife for changing the colours for me and giving permission for this to go ahead. In Science on Friday we actually had the whole lesson dedicated to genetics. Discovered that brown eyes and brown hair is the dominant colour in the class. The teacher tested us on how much we knew about different genetic conditions. Sadly my school did not let us wear jeans but it was still great to raise awareness on here. Maybe I can persuade the school to do a day or two next year.

Remember that raising awareness does not just have to be for 1 week. Genetic conditions last for a lifetime. 

A warrior. 
    ShaunieThe Mix