Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Jeans For Genes Week

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
Hi everyone!

Happy Jeans For Genes week. You are probably wondering what on earth I am going on about.

Jeans For Genes Week is a week in September dedicated to raising awareness about genetic disorders. Some examples of genetic disorders are down syndrome, cystic fibrosis and sickle cell anemia. A genetic disorder is something that is passed on through genes (your parents or other generations in your family.) There is no cure for it but there are ways to control the disorders someone might have. 

I chose to request a colour change for the confetti cannon so the week can be celebrated in a unique way.

So wear your jeans and start raising awareness.

Stay awesome.  :)
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I love this thread, I have a rare genetic condition so it's great to see awareness, many people dont know much about genetic conditions. 

Thanks for starting this thread :heart: 
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Thank you for sharing! <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    This is a lovely thread @Kasa2103 <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    Thank you everyone.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Interesting information Kasa! 💓
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Lovely thread! I have hypermobility EDS which they believe to be genetic so it's really lovely to see awareness :heart:
    Interesting information Kasa! 💓
    Thanks. It definitely is interesting to learn about.
    coc0mac said:
    Lovely thread! I have hypermobility EDS which they believe to be genetic so it's really lovely to see awareness :heart:
    Thank you! Maybe it is genetic. Does anyone else in the family have it? If not it is just spontaneous 
    edited September 2019
    I hope that everyone has enjoyed discovering lots about Jeans For Genes week. @The Mix same time next year? ;) Thank you @Aife for changing the colours for me and giving permission for this to go ahead. In Science on Friday we actually had the whole lesson dedicated to genetics. Discovered that brown eyes and brown hair is the dominant colour in the class. The teacher tested us on how much we knew about different genetic conditions. Sadly my school did not let us wear jeans but it was still great to raise awareness on here. Maybe I can persuade the school to do a day or two next year.

Remember that raising awareness does not just have to be for 1 week. Genetic conditions last for a lifetime.