Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Worried about college

LibbyLibby Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi guys, sorry if this is kind of  long but I need to get a few things off my chest. So on Tuesday, I will be moving into upper sixth and im really nervous because I will be moved to a new form group again. When this happened last year, it was pretty bad because I didn't have anyone to talk to because I find it really difficult to approach people and no one spoke to me or anything and they were in their own friendship groups. Im worried that the exact same thing will happen this time and I don't have a lot of people to hang out with during break and lunch. This is because one of my friends has a different timetable to me, so I hardly see her and my other friends have their own friendship groups, so it's difficult for me to join in conversations and I feel awkard just being at the side. This was one of the reasons why I attempted to kill myself a few months back because I felt isolated and that I would never be able to fit in and im scared that this will happen yet again. Also, I was really overwelmed from coursework and I kept worrying about my future if I failed. Im also scared that this will cause me to feel sucidal again as im worried that I won't be able to handle the stress of year 13. Again, im sorry for this long paragraph and thank you for the taking the time to read this xxx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• CarolineVCarolineV Posts: 133 The Mix Convert
    Sounds like you're feeling nervous about starting year 13 @Libby, and especially about making friends. You mentioned you have some friends who have their own friendship groups and you find it hard to get involved. Have you been able to talk to your friends about this? Maybe if they knew you were feeling nervous they'd be able to help you feel a bit more included?

Feeling anxious about Year 13 is totally natural, I remember feeling exactly the same when I was there! What subjects do you take? :)

We're all here for you <3
  • LibbyLibby Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
    Thanks Caroline, I have been thinking about talking to them about this but Im also nervous about starting an arguement with them and I don't them to feel bad or anything. Im doing health and social care as a btec and im still retaking maths 😂 What subjects did you take? Xxx
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    edited September 2019
    Hey Libby :) 

I get what you mean - it's a big year, and of course you want to be with friends so you can ride the highs and lows together! As important as friends can be, don't let that be the decider as to whether your final year is a success or failure. Be friendly and open, and that allows people to get to know you. If you become friends with people in your form, then great! If not, then it's not the end of the world - you'll be moving somewhere else within a few months once you're done anyways, so it'll be a chance to start afresh with others who are also new! Hope you have a great year ahead x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Azziman said:
    Hey Libby :) 

I get what you mean - it's a big year, and of course you want to be with friends so you can ride the highs and lows together! As important as friends can be, don't let that be the decider as to whether your final year is a success or failure. Be friendly and open, and that allows people to get to know you. If you become friends with people in your form, then great! If not, then it's not the end of the world - you'll be moving somewhere else within a few months once you're done anyways, so it'll be a chance to start afresh with others who are also new! Hope you have a great year ahead x

Much love <3
    Thanks for the advice Azziman ❤ I get what you mean about friends determining whether this year is a success or not as my grades actually determine whether I go to uni. Also, it's not the end of the world because at least I can have more time to focus on work. Thank you again and I hope you also have a great year.
    Sending love back xxx
  • AbiAbi Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Hi @Libby

I just wanted to reach out and say its understandable to be nervous about going back as you have gone from having time off and been in a different routine from the college routine. I wanted to reach out and see how things have been going since you returned to college? As well, how have you been coping with not seeing your friend much due to the timetable differences? 

I'm college student myself I study music and sometimes we have to look at what we want from college is it the friendships and/or good grades. I wish you the best of look for this year and I hope you continue to reach out here at The Mix as we would really like to continue to support. 

<3
    Abi said:
    Hi @Libby

I just wanted to reach out and say its understandable to be nervous about going back as you have gone from having time off and been in a different routine from the college routine. I wanted to reach out and see how things have been going since you returned to college? As well, how have you been coping with not seeing your friend much due to the timetable differences? 

I'm college student myself I study music and sometimes we have to look at what we want from college is it the friendships and/or good grades. I wish you the best of look for this year and I hope you continue to reach out here at The Mix as we would really like to continue to support. 

<3

Hi Abi, 
    Thanks for reaching out. It's nice to know that I can also reach out and be supported. So far, college has been okay. Because I haven't been in college for a full day yet, not seeing my friend hasn't been much of a problem as I haven't been in at break or lunch. I get on ok with people in classes but I felt upset yesterday because my form hasn't changed and the teachers said it would. Also, im getting counselling soon so hopefully things should improve. 
    How's college going for you so far? Feel free to talk to me when needed as I can support you and good luck to you as well.
    Sending hugs ❤xxx