Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Conflicted

Charley7Charley7 Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
Hi, I've never posted on anything like this before so this is scary.
Anyway, I have feelings of anxiety frequently but the thought of getting help terrifies me, and lately I've been scared that I'm making it all up. Any advice as to how people went and got help would be greatly appreciated :) 

Comments

• Options
    Mia_mooMia_moo Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    Hi @Charley7 welcome! It's  really positive that you have posted here, it takes a lot of courage and we will all try our best to support you! ❤️ 
    First of all I'd like to reassure you that your feelings of anxiety are real, and you deserve help for them. Getting frequent feelings of anxiety must be hard for you, and it can feel lonely too. Personally I waited a bit too long to get help, and I ended up in a place that I maybe could have prevented so I think it's really good that you are reaching out now! Have you explored the opportunities on the mix? It might be a good starting point  :) It might be useful for you to have a 1-2-1 chat and explain your difficulties with a professional, they will be able to direct you better. Sometimes speaking in person can be daunting, but they also offer webchat too! 
    We are all friendly here 😊 Hope this helps a little x 

• Options
    @Mia_moo thank you! Every bit of support helps :)
  • Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey Charley, it's lovely to have you here :blush:

Anxiety's really horrid. Do you want to talk more about it?

I'm scared of getting help for my problems too, so I don't have an experience to share yet, sorry. I just wanted to reply to send my love. I can really relate to the sort of feeling that you're making it up. Is that what's making you terrified of getting help, or is it something different? :heart:
  • Options
    Hi, @Kathryn thank you for the message, talking about it really helps. I don’t know what it is about getting help that scares me, it’s the unknown part that I don’t like. 
  • Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey charley! :)

Just wanted to pop by and send some hugs <3 

Its perfectly okay if you are not yet ready to seek support/help.

What makes you feel like you're making it up? that sounds quite bothersome to be dealing with.

As for how i got help, i'd like to say i did it in baby steps, but i jumped right in and applied for some CBT. That helped a little but ultimately was just a band aid to me so i started seeking support on forums such as here, childline, nomorepanic is a good one.
    I jumped into self help which was quite difficult at first but i soon learned what works for me etc and i've made huge improvements.

Its defo down to what you feel you can do first and go from there, coming here was a great first step so you're already on your way! :)

we're all here if you need us xo

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Options
    @Laine Thanks for the message! Much appreciated :)
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hey Charley,

For this, you have to go against your own anxieties. Make the leap and ask for help. Your anxiety will try and hold you back, putting a thousand questions in your head. But that's exactly what allows it to continue. You have to realise that anxiety is stopping you from getting help to resolve your anxiety, so as long as you do nothing, that anxiety will stay! Don't think about it, just book the appointment and go for it - it'll be worth it in the long run!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.